Arena Rafters & Banners

There's also one at the Wachovia Center.

102TN.JPG

Bruce Springsteen also has one, and I think Bon Jovi may have one as well. It's one of the dumbest things I can think of... right up there with a banner for "attendance champions" or "regular season champions".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's also one at the Wachovia Center.

102TN.JPG

Bruce Springsteen also has one, and I think Bon Jovi may have one as well. It's one of the dumbest things I can think of... right up there with a banner for "attendance champions" or "regular season champions".

..and at Nassau Coliseum.

4139803391_5b0f466020.jpg

That sticks out like a sore thumb no matter where it is.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

BBTV would never attend a Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen show anyway (though he worked security for three Springsteen shows, and he actually is a good performer even if I can't stand his music or fans) but he's adding to the list of acts he'll never see any act who has a banner in an arena that celebrates how many people in that area see said act. Actually, I can't see myself going to a show in that big of a venue anyway, but the point still stands.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a poor cell phone shot of the banner in

between the Sun's 2 conference championship banners:

Besides being aesthetically unpleasing, it seems odd that you would not group banners based on their subject matter.

Billy Joel also a banner at the XL Center in Hartford.

BTW, Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden is one of the best musical experiences you'll ever have. Not going to see a musical act because they hang banners up of their attendance accomplishments might be the most stupid reason I've ever heard. I could see if you don't like their music, but not going because of a banner? Idiotic, in a word.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Billy Joel also a banner at the XL Center in Hartford.

BTW, Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden is one of the best musical experiences you'll ever have. Not going to see a musical act because they hang banners up of their attendance accomplishments might be the most stupid reason I've ever heard. I could see if you don't like their music, but not going because of a banner? Idiotic, in a word.

No band that I like or would ever go to see would ever have a banner hanging in an arena like that, because the music that I like and bands that I live (I go to a lot of live shows) aren't going to draw 20,000 + crowds. Even if they did play in those venues, that would still not preclude me from going. But if they didn't think that it was a little pretentious to have a banner celebrating their popularity, then the chances are that their attitudes would have changed, and they would no longer be making the type of music that I enjoy. So therefore, I won't be seeing bands that have banners hanging in arenas.

Here's a poor cell phone shot of the banner in

between the Sun's 2 conference championship banners:

Besides being aesthetically unpleasing, it seems odd that you would not group banners based on their subject matter.

Yes, it's extremely annoying that Joel's banner is in between the two Sun banners. A second issue is that the Sun banners are one sided. The other side is blank. And yes they do hang in front of the upper deck so fans can see the blank side.

sig-1.png

A banner seems gratuitous. Maybe just a trophy, or a plaque-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack.

I wouldn't see Billy Joel either, because the guy only had like three good songs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Those Billy Joel, etc. banners are inappropriate for arenas, just like "WNBA Attendance Leaders." Heck, if you want to go that route the Toronto Maple Leafs could put up a "Not an unsold seat since 1946" banner at the ACC. Talk about silliness. And I'm a Leafs fan! :blink:

So there's a new wrinkle to the MSG renovation plans. They're going to add "bridge seating" that will be suspended from the ceiling to hold up to 1,000 more fans.

It's a great idea for almost any other arena, but it'll ruin the iconic "Fan Ceiling" that the Garden features.

madison_square_garden--300x300.jpg

Am I the only one who sees that ending disastrously?

oBIgzrL.png

So there's a new wrinkle to the MSG renovation plans. They're going to add "bridge seating" that will be suspended from the ceiling to hold up to 1,000 more fans.

It's a great idea for almost any other arena, but it'll ruin the iconic "Fan Ceiling" that the Garden features.

madison_square_garden--300x300.jpg

Am I the only one who sees that ending disastrously?

That thing strikes me as a lawsuit waiting to happen.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Random question that occurred to me while watching a Lakers playoff game the other day. Are the Lakers' banners covered up when the Clippers are the home team at Staples Center?

No, what they do is shine spotlights on the banners and retired numbers depending on who is playing.

There aren't many lights up by the banners so its darker, and they shine lights on only the Lakers banners when they are playing, only the Kings banners when they are playing, only the Sparks banner when they play.

And for the Clippers... well... you get the point haha

Staples also shines projections of the logos for the team playing up into the corners.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And for the Clippers... well... you get the point haha

If/when the Clips get LeBron/DWade/Joe Johnson/Dirk/etc. and a competent coach, they'll be shining the spotlight at their games real soon.

You keep thinking that.

Fantasyland is 40 miles down the freeway, man.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Serious question (not being a smart ass) - do the Clippers have a any banners for any type of championship or retired number?