Arena Rafters & Banners

Toronto is my homer pick for no. 1, but I say that the Bruins have the second-best banners in the NHL. I like it when teams get creative.

I also like how the Expos hung a banner for being the best team in the lockout-shortened '94 season:

1994_Banner.jpg

I believe that banner was only hung for the final Expos home game.

I'm not so sure it was the last game at Stade Olympique. Look at the Brewers logo right next to the banner, it's the mid-90s "Motre Bame" logo. The Brewers switched to their current identity in 2000. You'd think that by 2004, they'd have changed it.

Found the box score from the Tigers-White Sox game on the scoreboard. It was indeed from September 29, 2004.

Toronto is my homer pick for no. 1, but I say that the Bruins have the second-best banners in the NHL. I like it when teams get creative.

I also like how the Expos hung a banner for being the best team in the lockout-shortened '94 season:

1994_Banner.jpg

I believe that banner was only hung for the final Expos home game.

I'm not so sure it was the last game at Stade Olympique. Look at the Brewers logo right next to the banner, it's the mid-90s "Motre Bame" logo. The Brewers switched to their current identity in 2000. You'd think that by 2004, they'd have changed it.

Found the box score from the Tigers-White Sox game on the scoreboard. It was indeed from September 29, 2004.

Alrighty then.

spacer.png

Teams are terrible about maintaining the logos of their leaguemates, especially the Montreal Expos, who were terrible at maintaining everything. Look, they've got that weird proto-alternate Marlins logo, too.

Wrigley Field still dragged out the navy/gold Houston Astros logo for their on-deck circle well into 2005, perhaps 2006. On one hand, it's kind of a funny little subliminal message that you're not worth the time and money to properly represent, but on the other hand, it looks kind of unprofessional, and having two bad Astros logos in the same camera shot is two too many.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Retiring 42 made sense and still does to this day. I feel the same about Gretzky's 99 being retired league wide for the NHL. I don't feel the same about Jordan, however.

I couldn't disagree more. Let the teams that these guys play on retire their numbers, but allow other players on other teams who may grow up idolizing these guys to "honor" them (which I think is ridiculous, but I know I'm in the minority there) by wearing their numbers if they so choose to. I have no problem with league-wide jackie Robinson tributes or memorials, because it's a story that needs to be known by everybody, but I don't like seeing #42 hanging next to Mike Schmidt's, Steve Carlton's, Richie Ashburn's, and Robin Robert's numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Because of what Robinson did, I have no problem with his number being retired. However, retiring Gretzky's number was plain stupidity. Even if you think he's the greatest (which I do not), you have to admit that he was not the greatest by a long shot. If he gets his number retired, then Lemieux and Orr do, too. And then people will make a case for Richard and Howe. And Hasek and Roy. And...

Now I'm not saying that those above numbers should be retired league-wide, but it is a slippery slope. If player X deserves his number being retired by the league, then player Y does too, and maybe even player Z. Gretzky was not the hands-down greatest ever, not by a longshot, and he doesn't deserve that honour.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Retiring #99 league-wide was pointless. No one will ever be stupid enough to try and wear it, so why bother with the formalities?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Retiring 42 made sense and still does to this day. I feel the same about Gretzky's 99 being retired league wide for the NHL. I don't feel the same about Jordan, however.

I couldn't disagree more. Let the teams that these guys play on retire their numbers, but allow other players on other teams who may grow up idolizing these guys to "honor" them (which I think is ridiculous, but I know I'm in the minority there) by wearing their numbers if they so choose to. I have no problem with league-wide jackie Robinson tributes or memorials, because it's a story that needs to be known by everybody, but I don't like seeing #42 hanging next to Mike Schmidt's, Steve Carlton's, Richie Ashburn's, and Robin Robert's numbers.

That's why Boston does it best. Their retired numbers are in red, and Jackie Robinson's number is in blue.

pixel.gif

Because of what Robinson did, I have no problem with his number being retired. However, retiring Gretzky's number was plain stupidity. Even if you think he's the greatest (which I do not), you have to admit that he was not the greatest by a long shot. If he gets his number retired, then Lemieux and Orr do, too. And then people will make a case for Richard and Howe. And Hasek and Roy. And...

Now I'm not saying that those above numbers should be retired league-wide, but it is a slippery slope. If player X deserves his number being retired by the league, then player Y does too, and maybe even player Z. Gretzky was not the hands-down greatest ever, not by a longshot, and he doesn't deserve that honour.

I totally agree.

Actually, what I don't agree with is what you are almost implying: that it would make sense if he was the "undisputed" best ever. Even if he is, so what. That's no reason for a league-wide retirement.

To me, Gretzky is the greatest. But Robinson's league-wide honor is about his cultural significance. Just retiring a number leaguewide for "the best player" is silly.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

it is a slippery slope.

Slippery slopes exist only where people want them to. When it comes to private organizations, they are certainly capable of doing one thing without having to do another and be justifiable in doing so.

Hmm, just wondering but why are you for Gretzky and against Jordan? They'd both be retired for the same reason.

That's why Boston does it best. Their retired numbers are in red, and Jackie Robinson's number is in blue.

pixel.gif

The Red Sox aren't the only team who does it like that.

2598968221_24b39ff839_z.jpg

pixel.gif

The Red Sox aren't the only team who does it like that.

2598968221_24b39ff839_z.jpg

No, they aren't, but not that great of an example. Robinson's number is still in the Brewers' font. The Red Sox put Robinson's number in the Dodgers' number font.

ricenumber.jpg

Other teams do, too.

Retired_Nos_6334.jpg

spacer.png

I know it's variable, but do any teams have actual guidelines for retiring numbers ["official" or not], and if so what are they?

The Red Sox criteria is Hall of Fame membership and at least 10 years with the team. You used to have to finish your career with them in addition to the 10 years but they eased up on that to retire Fisk's #27.

I know it's variable, but do any teams have actual guidelines for retiring numbers ["official" or not], and if so what are they?

It's all up to the teams. You'll find that a lot of newer teams will seemingly retire the first number of any halfway good player that played with them just so they can try to establish a history or have an event out of it.

I know for the Phillies the requirement is HOF, which is why Jim Bunning's #14 was retired decades after he last played (and after several other players, notably Pete Rose wore it) when he was elected by the Veterans' Committee.

I believe the Flyers have the same requirement, which is why Mark Howe's #2 was just retired. I think it's kind of dumb to retire a number after it's been worn by other players, but that's what they do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."