Arena Rafters & Banners

as an islander fan nd long island resident, everytime i enter the coliseum i always admmire the islanders banners and just look up at the greatness that once was. Im wondering how barclays center is going to handle the islanders banners, i hope all of them make the move because that would be an additional slap in the face next to losing our team to the city. also, the dragons banners were removed after the AFL folded.

Hopefully they make some new ones--but in the same or a similar style--because the banners look pretty beat up when you see them in person. But...

NYIslandersVerified@NYIslanders

YES. ALL OF THEM. RT @bringback_nyles:@NYIslanders Will *all* the banners be coming along? #Isles #BarclaysCenter

• Like 1

The Rangers have already hung an 11-12 Atlantic Division banner at MSG (it's been there since the summer apparently). They have a very random banner selection. Since there aren't real "rafters" at MSG

averybanner.jpg

their space is limited they don't have everything up. Why they pick and choose (i.e. why a "Patrick Divison Champs" banner but not some other random one) the ones they do is beyond me.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I could see it up there for just this season or until the next time they win a division, then it's replaced.

That's kind of what the Cardinals do for divisional championships and wild cards. They get recognized on the outfield wall, but just for the next season or next division championship.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

With basketball and hockey, the banners could just say the year of the end of the season and it would make sense. Just like car models. (Automakers could begin selling 2014 car models on 1/1/13.)

However, football should always refer back to the previous season, even though this often gets messed up.

The following logo should have the year on the outside with the date. It was the Super Bowl for the 1999 season.

2348.gif

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think the Panthers redid their banners to be all red. Not sure though, just saw some photos.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

New:

628x471.jpg

Old:

105982399_std.jpg

MASSIVE downgrade.

What about the white banner for the inaugural season and the blue banner from their Eastern Conference Championship season?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• 2 months later...

The Houston Astros updated their championship flags and retired number signage this year to match the new/old color scheme. The metal flags are now Navy for division titles and Orange for their one league title. Sorry the pic doesn't focus on the flags. The retired numbers were changes from red to Navy with orange outline. I will get a pic of all the changes later in the year as my seats last night were up in the nosebleeds next to the big screen/retired numbers.

AstrosFlags2013_zps533d1bb8.png

Was channelsurfing just now and found out the Lakers were going to retire Shaq's jersey tonight. Wonder if they're going to use the old jersey template or their newer one for his banner. Also, just noticed that they have #52 retired for Wilkes. Do the Lakers have some sort of jersey-retiring policy/requirements?

|UPDATE| so they used the newer jersey for his banner, but the order of the jerseys looks sorta random. I can't really figure out how they're arranging them. Anyone know?

Shaq's jersey is the first in the rafters to use the new Lakers jersey template. It was an odd choice to use the front of the jersey, though, as made apparent by the v-neck and the little horizontal stitch at the base of the collar. Instead of looking like a NOB, it feels like the 'O'Neal' replaces the 'Lakers' wordmark.

Shaq's jersey is the first in the rafters to use the new Lakers jersey template. It was an odd choice to use the front of the jersey, though, as made apparent by the v-neck and the little horizontal stitch at the base of the collar. Instead of looking like a NOB, it feels like the 'O'Neal' replaces the 'Lakers' wordmark.

shaq-retired-jersey.png

Not only does that look ridiculous, but so does Magic's incorrect font. Are all of the retired jerseys inaccurate like that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was channelsurfing just now and found out the Lakers were going to retire Shaq's jersey tonight. Wonder if they're going to use the old jersey template or their newer one for his banner. Also, just noticed that they have #52 retired for Wilkes. Do the Lakers have some sort of jersey-retiring policy/requirements?

|UPDATE| so they used the newer jersey for his banner, but the order of the jerseys looks sorta random. I can't really figure out how they're arranging them. Anyone know?

The policy for the Lakers is you have to be in the hall of fame, unless it's sure fire your gonna get in when you retire.

lalakers_sig.png

shaq-retired-jersey.png

They put his name and number on the front of the jersey.

Also, any reason that Shaq's jersey is placed "before" (to the left) of Magic's jersey?

Doesn't make numerical or chronological sense, no?

UPDATE: Lakers admit error in Shaq's retired jersey

"The oversight will be corrected and a new jersey put up as soon as possible," Lakers spokesman John Black said Wednesday.