Arena Rafters & Banners

Which arena/stadium has the best championship and retired number banners?

Personally, I think it's a toss up between TD Garden and United Center...all of the banners, for the most part, are clean and simple enough. The Bucks and Marquette re-did their banners at Bradley Center a few years ago, and look better than they did before.

Put up in the last few days:

477187173_slide.jpg8343306.jpg

With regards to the best banners, I like when teams get creative. On top of the Flames, the Leafs and Flyers put images of the players on, which I love (although I wish the Flyers were uniform in the perspective of their pictures, i.e. Not having full-body shots, head shots, and partial shots like they do now). Also, the Leafs and Blackhawks put pictures of the Cup on their banners. I like how the Red Wings put the years a player played for the team on their banners, as well as a captain's patch (not sure why they didn't do it for Lidstrom, though). And, as shown above, the Bruins' retired numbers are really cool

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Re: BigBubba

The Flames have screwed up banners and I don't know if any other team does this. They have retired Lanny McDonald's and Mike Vernon's "normally". Which means the whole banner with the name, number and years played and the number is taken out of circulation.

Flames_retired_banners_2011.png

Then they started the "Forever a Flame" thing where they honour the number and the player, but the number isn't going to be taken out of circulation. So they have retired McDonald's #9 and Vernon's #30 while they are honouring MacInnis' #2 and Nieuwendyk's #25. 2 and 25 are able to be worn by a player, but I don't think they will anytime soon.

I don't know if they felt like MacInnis and Nieuwendyk weren't worthy enough as Flames to be fully retired but what happens when Iginla retires? Are they going to make him "Forever a Flame" or are the going to retire his number and have two tiers of recognition? I know that not fully retiring MacInnis' and Nieuwendyk's jerseys isn't sitting well with a lot of fans who were around during the Flames heyday with those two.

IEI5Tg1.png

With regards to the best banners, I like when teams get creative. On top of the Flames, the Leafs and Flyers put images of the players on, which I love (although I wish the Flyers were uniform in the perspective of their pictures, i.e. Not having full-body shots, head shots, and partial shots like they do now). Also, the Leafs and Blackhawks put pictures of the Cup on their banners. I like how the Red Wings put the years a player played for the team on their banners, as well as a captain's patch (not sure why they didn't do it for Lidstrom, though). And, as shown above, the Bruins' retired numbers are really cool

Love how Lidstrom's banner look, clean and crisp. Though I'm a fan of the banners of retired players with their photos in black/white watermarked...thing of beauty

The black stuff behind "Stanley Cup Champions" for the Flyers look terrible. Almost like a WordArt effect. I wonder why the Leafs didn't use blue on their banners. Higher visibility?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Which arena/stadium has the best championship and retired number banners?

Personally, I think it's a toss up between TD Garden and United Center...all of the banners, for the most part, are clean and simple enough. The Bucks and Marquette re-did their banners at Bradley Center a few years ago, and look better than they did before.

My favorite part about the banners at the United Center are the Bulls NBA Finals banners that have the players' names around the outside.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Re: BigBubba

The Flames have screwed up banners and I don't know if any other team does this. They have retired Lanny McDonald's and Mike Vernon's "normally". Which means the whole banner with the name, number and years played and the number is taken out of circulation.

Flames_retired_banners_2011.png

Then they started the "Forever a Flame" thing where they honour the number and the player, but the number isn't going to be taken out of circulation. So they have retired McDonald's #9 and Vernon's #30 while they are honouring MacInnis' #2 and Nieuwendyk's #25. 2 and 25 are able to be worn by a player, but I don't think they will anytime soon.

I don't know if they felt like MacInnis and Nieuwendyk weren't worthy enough as Flames to be fully retired but what happens when Iginla retires? Are they going to make him "Forever a Flame" or are the going to retire his number and have two tiers of recognition? I know that not fully retiring MacInnis' and Nieuwendyk's jerseys isn't sitting well with a lot of fans who were around during the Flames heyday with those two.

A lot of teams do this. The Canucks for example have the 'Ring of Honour'. I think its a good idea. It says 'We appreciate everything you've done for us' but it still leaves actual number retirement as a specific pedestal for the truly special players.

Thomas_Gradin_ring_of_honour.JPG

The thing with the "ring of hono(u)r" and "forever a flame" is that they should leave out the number, and just hono(u)r the player.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The thing with the "ring of hono(u)r" and "forever a flame" is that they should leave out the number, and just hono(u)r the player.

Agreed. The Blue Jays have a two-tier system (a "Level of Excellence" for the team's great players; you get your number retired if you go into the HoF as a Jay). The Level of Excellence had the players' numbers on it until it was re-done last year, and rightfully so. There's no need to emphasize the number if you're just "honouring" it.

Related, I wish teams who had two-tier systems would have specific requirements like the Jays. There's no reason why Nieuwendyk and MacInnis shouldn't have their numbers retired. The way the Flames do it seems so arbitrary.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Agreed. The Blue Jays have a two-tier system (a "Level of Excellence" for the team's great players; you get your number retired if you go into the HoF as a Jay). The Level of Excellence had the players' numbers on it until it was re-done last year, and rightfully so. There's no need to emphasize the number if you're just "honouring" it.

Related, I wish teams who had two-tier systems would have specific requirements like the Jays. There's no reason why Nieuwendyk and MacInnis shouldn't have their numbers retired. The way the Flames do it seems so arbitrary.

The Phillies and Flyers have a tiered system too. The team HOF, which honors players but doesnt include retiring their numbers. that is saved for players that enter the League HOF, which is why it took so long for mark howe's #2 to get retired, he only was recently entered into NHL HOF..

The Phillies and Flyers have a tiered system too. The team HOF, which honors players but doesnt include retiring their numbers. that is saved for players that enter the League HOF, which is why it took so long for mark howe's #2 to get retired, he only was recently entered into NHL HOF..

I think that's dumb. If there's even a chance that you may want to retire a guy's number, at least hold it out of circulation for a while so 20 other players don't wear it before it's retired. The whole point of retiring a number is that it's become forever associated with that player, or because nobody will ever be able to do honor t that number like the guy for whom it's getting retired, etc. It's stupid that numbers get retired after other players wear them. The HOF thing is stupid as well - if Adam Oates makes the HOF, does 77 get retired? Granted Mark Howe was a pretty big part of some good Flyers teams, but they obviously didn't think he was number-retired worthy when he left.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that's dumb. If there's even a chance that you may want to retire a guy's number, at least hold it out of circulation for a while so 20 other players don't wear it before it's retired. The whole point of retiring a number is that it's become forever associated with that player, or because nobody will ever be able to do honor t that number like the guy for whom it's getting retired, etc. It's stupid that numbers get retired after other players wear them. The HOF thing is stupid as well - if Adam Oates makes the HOF, does 77 get retired? Granted Mark Howe was a pretty big part of some good Flyers teams, but they obviously didn't think he was number-retired worthy when he left.

Seeing as Oates is in the HHOF, I could see it being retired by the Caps but the Caps fan in me sees Bondra and Kolzig retired before Oates.