Arena Rafters & Banners

Clippers' Pacific Division title banners at their practice facility. Doc and the players refuse to have them at Staples

I think they kind of outwitted themselves on this one. You wait all these years to start winning any banners and now you won't acknowledge them because the Lakers share the place?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Right, but atleast the Heat don´t retire numbers left and right.

Like Montreal in the NHL, there is a number retired allmost every year, and they have not won the cup in 20+ seasons. *takes cover*

No. Player Position Career Date of honour 1 Jacques Plante G 1953-63 October 7, 1995 2 Doug Harvey D 1947-61 October 26, 1985 3 Emile Bouchard D 1941-56 December 4, 2009 4 Jean Beliveau C 1952-71 October 9, 1971 5 Bernie Geoffrion RW 1950-64 March 11, 2006 Guy Lapointe D 1968-82 November 8, 2014 7 Howie Morenz C 1923-37 November 2, 1937 9 Maurice Richard RW 1943-60 October 6, 1960 10 Guy Lafleur RW 1971-85 February 16, 1985 12 Dickie Moore LW 1953-63 November 12, 2005 Yvan Cournoyer RW 1964-79 November 12, 2005 16 Henri Richard C 1955-75 December 10, 1975 Elmer Lach C 1940-54 December 4, 2009 18 Serge Savard D 1967-81 November 18, 2006 19 Larry Robinson D 1972-89 November 19, 2007 23 Bob Gainey LW 1974-89 February 23, 2008 29 Ken Dryden G 1970-79 January 29, 2007 33 Patrick Roy G 1985-95 November 22, 2008

15 jersey numbers for 18 players over 104 seasons or 54 seasons since the first in 1960. Not quite every year

Like Montreal in the NHL, there is a number retired allmost every year, and they have not won the cup in 20+ seasons. *takes cover*

No. Player Position Career Date of honour 1 [url="/wik

15 jersey numbers for 18 players over 104 seasons or 54 seasons since the first in 1960. Not quite every year

Maybe, but 12 of those were retired after the 93´ win, that is 12 in 20 years, if they continue the trend, my point will still be valid.

-

Maybe, but 12 of those were retired after the 93´ win, that is 12 in 20 years, if they continue the trend, my point will still be valid.

-

When you're the Montreal freaking Canadiens, one of the most iconic franchises in all of professional sports anywhere, you can kind of do that thing.

It's the same thing as Yankees and Monument Park. Is is a little over the top? Maybe, but you know why they do it? Because they can. Same with the Habs, or the Lakers, or the Celtics, or the Packers, or etc.

It's ridiculous for the Miami Heat to do what they do. Not for the Montreal Canadiens to do what they do.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

-

Name why any one of those players doesn't deserve his number retired any why.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

@bubba....I can´t, i don´t know them. - But when the habs won alot of cups, there were only a handful of teams, and they got all of the good canadian born players, right ?

You sound stupid. Stop posting.

You sound ignorant. Keep posting it's funny.

You must be Jason's mother.

@bubba....I can´t, i don´t know them.-But when the habs won alot of cups, there were only a handful of teams, and they got all of the good canadian born players, right ?

They won because they had good players. Yes. And so they honour those players by retiring their numbers. I don't see the problem.

(And keep in mind that there is no team in all of sports I hate more than the Montréal Canadiens.)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Habs have retired 15 numbers for 18 players. Not one of those banners is superfluous. Look up any of the stats of any of those players during their time with the Canadiens and you will see that all of them belong up there.

True, the Habs won 14 of their 24 Stanley Cups during a time where there was rarely more than 10 teams. The remaining 10 Stanley Cups were won post-expansion, still more than any other team.

A lot of credit to the success of the Canadiens during their history is attributed to their scouting and farm system. Back in the olden days, junior teams were specifically sponsored by NHL teams. So if you wound up playing in that system, that NHL team had your rights. Most of the Canadiens talent were brought up through that system (and yes, about 99% of that talent was Canadian, but only because 99% of ALL NHL talent was Canadian. Montreal did not have the rights to all Canadian talent. There were of course players like Gordie Howe, the Patrick brothers, Bobby Hull, Stan Makita, Ted Lindsay, Bobby Orr, none of whom ever played for the Canadiens. During the same timeframe the Canadiens won their first 14 Stanley Cups, the Toronto Maple Leafs franchise managed to win 13 as well. (What happened after expansion seemingly but both franchises in opposite directions.)

Also, regarding that rule that the Canadiens were allowed to draft any French-Canadien players before the rest of league was allowed to draft anyone...there is a little bit of truth to it, but, remarkably, almost none of those players that they acquired through those means had any impact whatsoever with the franchise. (Better explained here: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2008/12/2/678036/debunking-the-canadiens-fr )

Credit is due however to how they got Guy Lafleur. In 1970, the Habs acquired Oakland's first-round pick in 1971 in exchange for their first-rounder in 1970. In the 1970-71 season, the Seals were near the bottom of the standings, but not actually in last place. Habs traded one of their veterans to the Kings (who were at the bottom) to help improve the Kings enough to pass the Seals in the standings and the Seals finish dead last, giving Montreal that pick.

But, with all this in mind, there is no question about the success and deservedness of the banners in Montreal.

• Like 1

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.