Arena Rafters & Banners

6 hours ago, Chico said:

The New York Rangers have banners for Regular Season Championships as well. 

158626464.jpg

Chicago+Bulls+v+New+York+Knicks+PDuQkx82xm4x.jpg

C-Dm5P5XoAELKAo.jpg

Banners for the Presidents’ Trophy aren’t too uncommon (I think). The NHL even had a rule before the trophy that allowed the team with the best record to hang an NHL League Champion banner:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/awarddisplay.htm?season=20102011#president

I don’t have a big problem with these. But the regular season conference champions banners are really dumb.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Golden One said:

Warriors new banner

DMY1cRqVAAIzFWr.jpg

The Warriors have come a long way from where they were when I was growing up, when they only had the one banner for 1975.

Golden_State_Warriors_1974-75_NBA_World_

They didn't even have the retired numbers on banners until they retired Mullin's number; they used to be just listed under the suites. (look by Vince Carter's head for proof.)

72566558.jpg

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, DEAD! said:

One thing I found it interesting while watching the Lightning-Red Wings game. Since the Pistons moved into Little Ceasars Arena that it also meant a banner for former owner Bill Davidson is hung in the rafters. He was also the owner of the Lightning. I can't think of another arena that has something that honours two former NHL owners at the same time.

gallery.jpg.aacd48b2510841cb6b1313716acfacd1.jpg

They actually had a banner for him at the Palace that was above the players. They just updated it with the move.

davidsonbannerjpg-8f9ab36d0bbc5032.jpg

On 10/11/2017 at 8:28 AM, charger77 said:

Image result for 2017 nashville predators western conference champions banner

I'm certain it's because I'm a fan, but I think that's a sharp looking banner.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:19 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

The Warriors have come a long way from where they were when I was growing up, when they only had the one banner for 1975.

Golden_State_Warriors_1974-75_NBA_World_

They didn't even have the retired numbers on banners until they retired Mullin's number; they used to be just listed under the suites. (look by Vince Carter's head for proof.)

72566558.jpg

In the old arena configuration, the Warriors had individual retired number banners in the final years prior to the renovation...

One end had the banners of Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond, and the other end was Tom Meschery and Al Attles;

img783-600x409.jpgimg784%20copy-600x401.jpg

Credit to Bob Busser's Ballparks site

Edit: I'm almost 100-percent certain that the the three smaller banners in-between the team banner and Attles' retired jersey are the '47, '56, and '75 championship banners.  I saw another picture on the site, looks like from the mid-to-late '80s, and the Warriors' retired numbers were on a single banner on one of the arena.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Why give him two banners? Ridiculous.

I don't mind this so much. In my mind, there were two eras of Kobe, with and without Shaq. Kobe was very accomplished during both, so acknowledging this by retiring 8 and 24 is fine with me. 

For the record, I wish he had stuck with 8 only because it was a number he could have made synonymous with his name. 

• Like 3

Just now, Brandon9485 said:

I don't mind this so much. In my mind, there were two eras of Kobe, with and without Shaq. Kobe was very accomplished during both, so acknowledging this by retiring 8 and 24 is fine with me. 

He is one player.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

He is one player.

Yeah, but they're retiring numbers, not putting a player in a ring of honor or something.  Since it's 2 numbers, I guess it makes sense - especially since their "banners" are literal jerseys.

If it was Boston, each number would probably get its own square.  If it was some other teams, I'd imagine the numbers could be "slashed" on the same banner.  Would have looked really odd in this case.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Haven't seen this posted yet - the Flyers have again changed up their banners:

cut.jpg

This is the now-previous retired number design (which only lasted a few years:)

post-112-0-65736200-1356751197.jpg

I can't tell what the new Stanley Cup banners look like, but I guess changing up the old ones was the only way they'd ever get new ones.

Edit: apparently they did it last year for their 50th anniversary, and immediately made replicas for sale, so there you go.  Surprised they're not selling ad space on them too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, but they're retiring numbers, not putting a player in a ring of honor or something.  Since it's 2 numbers, I guess it makes sense - especially since their "banners" are literal jerseys.

If it was Boston, each number would probably get its own square.  If it was some other teams, I'd imagine the numbers could be "slashed" on the same banner.  Would have looked really odd in this case.

They’re retiring numbers to honor the player. Kobe wasn’t two players. He was one, and yet he gets two banners. 

It looks even worse considering the team. This is the Lakers, with some of the game’s most significant players. Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Shaq all have one banner. 

59 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

They’re retiring numbers to honor the player. Kobe wasn’t two players. He was one, and yet he gets two banners. 

It looks even worse considering the team. This is the Lakers, with some of the game’s most significant players. Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Shaq all have one banner. 

And it's not like we did not know exactly what he was doing when he made the mid-career number switch.  He wanted to have two numbers retired. Lame.  Admittedly, I've detested Kobe since day 1, so I wish they'd let him pick one number and then put the other one back into circulation.  But I knew that wasn't going to happen.  That said, they should have either picked one or had an 8/24 banner.  As much as two numbers taken out of circulation for one player (who planned it) bugs me, two banners for one player bugs me even more.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2017-12-19 at 10:19 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't tell what the new Stanley Cup banners look like, but I guess changing up the old ones was the only way they'd ever get new ones.

Edit: apparently they did it last year for their 50th anniversary, and immediately made replicas for sale, so there you go.  Surprised they're not selling ad space on them too.

flyers-50-anniversary-banners.jpg