Arena Rafters & Banners

33 minutes ago, insert name said:

I hate when teams change banners just to fit the current era. The banner should have the appropriate colors from when they won it! So many teams do this crap and it's annoying as hell. 

I used to feel this way.  I used to think that the banner that's displayed should be the one that was raised at the time, which would usually have been whatever the then-current look was.

Now I appreciate the consistency, especially since a team like the Sixers would have one banner in black-red-gold and all the rest in basic RWB.

They really butchered it when they retired Barkley's number and put the then-current black/gold logo on it, even though it was in the traditional red-white color/font.

a-chuckster.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 5:54 AM, BigBubba said:

Nice. I know they got the number font wrong initially, but was there anything else?

DVdbYCgXcAIdTq1.jpg

Yes, look at the "R" s in the Niedermayer  banner compared to the R in the Brodeur banner ... and the other letters as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Eagles SB52 banner spotted at NovaCare Complex

The design of the other banners matches what's at the Linc now, so I'm assuming this is what we'll see there on opening night

champ-banners.jpg

That’s probably the worst part of those terrible Super Bowl logos, that they’re memorialized forever on banners like that. I’d way rather see a plain “Super Bowl ____ Champions” or something of that ilk.

Are the Linc's seats made of Legos?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

That’s probably the worst part of those terrible Super Bowl logos, that they’re memorialized forever on banners like that. I’d way rather see a plain “Super Bowl ____ Champions” or something of that ilk.

Wow - I feel completely opposite.  The consistency is great.  I would hate if the 5 Super Bowl banners that the Eagles are going to win in the next 5 years all had different logos.  

This looks terrible to me (except the last two, which show the Lombardi trophy prominently) 

ff_2926129_full.jpg&w=600

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow - I feel completely opposite.  The consistency is great.  I would hate if the 5 Super Bowl banners that the Eagles are going to win in the next 5 years all had different logos.  

This looks terrible to me (except the last two, which show the Lombardi trophy prominently) 

ff_2926129_full.jpg&w=600

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm saying sticking an ugly logo on a banner memorializing a team's championship sullies the banner. Nothing to do with consistency.

• 5 months later...

Caps banner looks great. They integrated the word mark into the cup really well. 

7 hours ago, Evil Doctor said:

Man, that thing is freakishly monstrous.  I guess they're assuming they're not going win enough Cups which might cause them to run out of room...

Strangely it doesn't look quite as big when its hanging way up in the rafters

Caps have also updated their Eastern Conf champs banner, no more flying eagle:

washington-capitals-eastern-conference-champions-banner.jpg?fit=1024%2C512&ssl=1

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, San Diego said:

Divisional banners are so lame. Championship or nothing imo. 

Completely disagree.  A divisional-championship is still a championship, and while I understand that it's not the overall league championship, it's still an accomplishment.

At the end of the day, the banners aren't for the players or teams, they're for the fans.  Gives them an event to attend when they're raised, gives them something to look at and take pictures of, give us fodder for this thread, and is less boring than nothing.  

• Like 3