Arena Rafters & Banners

On 7/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

So will the Raptors for with "World Champions" or "NBA Champions" for their banner?

I get that the NBA, NFL, and MLB are the best leagues in their sports and have the best players, but I hate it when somebody or the team labels the champions as World Champions.  It's not a world competition like the real World Cup.  Maybe in the past when the world was a much "smaller" place without the internet and all that, you could get away with that, but I don't think you can these days.

• 2 months later...

I think the Ducks have done that well now that they quasi-updated the colours, and put them back into chronological order, a few years ago.

38547427516_8efa783ee3.jpg

dffdc23c449365a60d98d1b55ad5eceb.jpg

tagreuters.com2019binary_MTZXEF2I3QSFGE-

I wouldn't hate if they updated the 2003 Western Conference Championship banner to match the newer template, but still in the Mighty Ducks style.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

• 3 weeks later...

The Raptors made all the right choices here. They didn't include any unnecessary gold in the banner other than the trophy itself, and they also were able to avoid the temptation of throwing the NORTH chevron on it like they did with the rings. The player names around the outside is a nice touch too. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Raptors made all the right choices here. They didn't include any unnecessary gold in the banner other than the trophy itself, and they also were able to avoid the temptation of throwing the NORTH chevron on it like they did with the rings. The player names around the outside is a nice touch too. 

The execution of the trophy is pretty bad though. The gold leaf or what ever material they used looks really bad.

• Like 2

Do teams really need to plaster their logo and/or name on the banner? I kinda get it if it’s a shared arena, but both the blues and raptors banners would look better without the logo (blues) and name (raptors)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, monkeypower said:

I think the Ducks have done that well now that they quasi-updated the colours, and put them back into chronological order, a few years ago.

38547427516_8efa783ee3.jpg

dffdc23c449365a60d98d1b55ad5eceb.jpg

tagreuters.com2019binary_MTZXEF2I3QSFGE-

I wouldn't hate if they updated the 2003 Western Conference Championship banner to match the newer template, but still in the Mighty Ducks style.

I've still been looking for a clearer picture of all the current championship banners but haven't had any luck

On 10/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, Chromatic said:

Yeah the realistic cup doesn't look that great. I like when the team's Stanley cup banner is just as simple as the division champ/retired number banners, but with the colours inverted.

Nuts to that.  You won the championship of your league, which is something that some teams will never do, and you might never do again.  Show it off.  Put it in people's faces.  Especially the Stanley Cup, since it has such an iconic look.  Lombardi and NBA trophies kinda do too, but the Cup does for sure.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Putting up a "Conference Champions" banner for the same year won the championship (like the Raptors & Ducks) is kind of redundant, no? 

I think it makes for consistency.  In years you don't win the title, you put up the conference banners.  Unless you're doing one banner per year and lining them up in a row, it would look like some conference championship banners are missing.

The Phillies do this - only hang one pennant per year, just in different colors depending on what they won, but each color is on its own pole, so they only have NL Championship banners for 50, 83, 93, and 09.  To me, that pole should also have 80 and 08.  The division banner only has 07, 10, and 11, but IMO it should also have 08 and 09.

Unless you're the Yankees or Celtics, where you have so many banners you don't know what to do with them, I don't see anything wrong with hanging one for each legitimate title... meaning NO WILD CARD BANNER BECAUSE IT LITERALLY MEANS YOU LOST.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it makes for consistency.  In years you don't win the title, you put up the conference banners.  Unless you're doing one banner per year and lining them up in a row, it would look like some conference championship banners are missing.

The Phillies do this - only hang one pennant per year, just in different colors depending on what they won, but each color is on its own pole, so they only have NL Championship banners for 50, 83, 93, and 09.  To me, that pole should also have 80 and 08.  The division banner only has 07, 10, and 11, but IMO it should also have 08 and 09.

Unless you're the Yankees or Celtics, where you have so many banners you don't know what to do with them, I don't see anything wrong with hanging one for each legitimate title... meaning NO WILD CARD BANNER BECAUSE IT LITERALLY MEANS YOU LOST.

Especially in leagues like nba, and nhl because there are 10 wild cards each year

• Like 1

Before the World Series the Nats updated their division title banners to create more consistency.  For some reason the 2012 banner used to be red while the other 3 were white.  They switched all 4 to blue.  Looks better but I'd still prefer something a little cleaner/simpler 

As for the new World Series title, I believe the banner will take the place of the embarassing blank pennant above the scoreboard.  It'll rarely be able to be read, but I assume it'll say WS Champs 2019

Related image

• Like 1

90758391980.gif

I think it's cheating a little bit because the gap between the Grateful Dead and Dead & Company is not insignificant and they should be appreciated as separate entities. But a "Bob Weir playin' with dudes" banner wouldn't be as interesting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/23/2019 at 12:23 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I actually like how they cut the bottom of the banner to be a chevron. Nice subtle nod.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 9:27 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Before the World Series the Nats updated their division title banners to create more consistency.  For some reason the 2012 banner used to be red while the other 3 were white.  They switched all 4 to blue.  Looks better but I'd still prefer something a little cleaner/simpler 

As for the new World Series title, I believe the banner will take the place of the embarassing blank pennant above the scoreboard.  It'll rarely be able to be read, but I assume it'll say WS Champs 2019

Related image

1. It looks like they use the post-season logos on their division banners.  Would look a lot better if they were more consistent.

2. That empty pennant above the scoreboard is silly.  Just put a W in there or something.  It's weird that they're honoring the championships won by the other teams in such a prominent place.  I'd go with the NL and WS flag there, move the old ones to another place in the stadium (like a 'museum' or something).