Arena Rafters & Banners

The Memphis Grizzlies retired #50 for Zach Randolph tonight, and the banner looks like a platinum record:

I can't find a photo online, but this actually matches the FedExForum suite (and office?) signage, which looks like a little gold record at each door.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few turn of the century NHL expansion teams have recently retired their first numbers.

spacer.png

The Blue Jackets went with the appropriate font for Nash instead of the current one, which is a nice touch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Koivu one is a bit odd. They used the current road name & number font, but the bottom of the banner has the striping from the old Minny jerseys.

11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

A few turn of the century NHL expansion teams have recently retired their first numbers.

spacer.png

The Blue Jackets went with the appropriate font for Nash instead of the current one, which is a nice touch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Koivu one is a bit odd. They used the current road name & number font, but the bottom of the banner has the striping from the old Minny jerseys.

I think the idea with the Koivu banner is that the striping matches both the other banner, and the actual jerseys Koivu wore. I definitely associate the block font with Koivu more, so I’m glad they used it. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 3/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I think the idea with the Koivu banner is that the striping matches both the other banner, and the actual jerseys Koivu wore. I definitely associate the block font with Koivu more, so I’m glad they used it. 

Since the other banner is for "the fans" (and lame as hell), they should make Koivu's consistent and tailor the other one to it, in my opinion. Actually, I'd rather they get rid of the fans one altogether.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Since the other banner is for "the fans" (and lame as hell), they should make Koivu's consistent and tailor the other one to it, in my opinion. Actually, I'd rather they get rid of the fans one altogether.

Yeah I was hoping that the Wild Fans banner would have silently been dropped. And with Koivu it was tough, because while he wore both, I feel like the block font is more synonymous with him. Honestly they could have gone with a red banner matching that era too…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, SportsFan6475 said:

The Lakers added new individual championship banners for the Minneapolis years.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Plus they updated their retired jerseys to reflect the specific jersey each player played with when they retired Mikan's jersey this seasonspacer.png

The Lakers also retired Pau Gasol's 16 this year

19ac2a56-01bd-46e0-846f-0c1d5842fd1b.jfi

And on the other end of the arena, the Kings retired Dustin Brown's 23 

Fo5EbDMaMAA0aLI.jpg:large

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yea, I hate on Vegas for many things, but the banner is actually surprisingly fresh. 

• Like 1

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."