Charlotte Checkers

Jamikel

I drew from several different sources as inspiration for this concept.

1. Checkers is a stupid name. Any name that is a pun for what the players are doing is stupid. Taking that name and coming up with a bear logo is even more stupid. But instead of changing the name, I decided to go with a checkered flag motif that would play up the city's relationship with NASCAR.

2. Since I was using a NASCAR theme for this uniform, I decided to borrow a black and red color scheme from Dale Earnhardt, who was from the Charlotte area.

3. Both the logo and uniform design draw heavily from the Hurricanes. I did this because the Hurricanes were my initial inspiration for this, particularly John Grahame, who wears a NASCAR-themed mask. Their italicized number font also looks like it was taken straight from the side of a stock car. The fact that the Hurricanes also wear red and black is an added bonus. I also just prefer when a major league team's minor league affiliate is from a nearby city, and the only way anything like this could be used is if the Checkers were affiliated with the Hurricanes.

4. My big gripe with black uniforms is that the actual design of the uniform tends to get lost in a sea of darkness. I've always loved how the Bruins used gold socks to add much-needed color to the uniforms, and I decided to use the same strategy here.

So without further ado, I give you my vision for the Charlotte Checkers:

checkerflag.gif

template-1.png

Is the team an affiliate of the Hurricanes? If so, then this is a really nice play off of their identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No, but since this is just a "what if" scenario anyway, part of the concept is making them an affiliate of the Hurricanes, which I wish they would actually do.

Oh! A concept within a concept!

I like it. Looks good, especially the logo.

Sigs are for sissies.

My only suggested improvement would be to angle the checker pattern in the bottom stripe of the jersey, like the checkers in the logo. I also wish the 'Canes would do this with the flag pattern on their jerseys; it would look more dynamic that way.

CCSLC signature.png

I like this, a lot. It certainly would work great if the Checkers were affiliated with the 'Canes, but even so it looks better and makes more since than a polar bear. That teams identity is just all screwed up and weird. Nice job though. Any thoughts on a secondary logo or anything?

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived