Madden 09

zjac7

For all of the frustrated Madden fans out there, the new producer, Phil Frazier, had a Q&A with fans on the EA boards. Here's an interesting quote:

"Uniform Accuracy - There is one primary reason for our uniforms being innaccurate. We receive official style guides from the NFL each year that details the uniforms that the teams are supposed to wear. The problem is, the teams then ignore the style guides and mix and match their own combinations. This year, instead of using the NFL styleguides the team is using game footage to note which combos NFL teams actually wear. I'm confident we'll be MUCH more accurate this year. "

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?t...=0&tstart=0

In addition to that, take a look at this screenshot of Trent Cole. It looks like they've FINALLY customized the nameplates according to team:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005832714.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have no problem being the first to reply and say that im really excited over this. theyve been brutal the last couple of years, the ncaa game, too--hopefully those producers follow suit (though i know its way harder in college w/so many teams). good find!

everton.png

Ah, the old Style Guides gripe. That's the same excuse that NBA 2K8 used for its faulty details, especially on special-promotion jerseys and courts. It's interesting that they're going to fix it, because even the Seahawks had their combo messed up the year that Shaun Alexander was on the cover. I think it's great that they decided to address this.

That's all well and good, HOWEVER, how do they explain that in Madden 08, the Patriots and another team that I can't remember have ALL-WHITE socks? No stripes, no color, just all white. I'm fairly certain that wasn't in the style guide. Getting uniform number styles wrong isn't in the style guide either. Or, how about fixing the way helmet numbers are for single-digit players like Roethlisberger. Or, maybe they could just fix it so that new players drafted into the league aren't randomly assigned uniform numbers. There are too many offensive and defensive linemen wearing the number 1.

I really hope they get the Rams unis right this time with the gold pants at home instead of the white striped ones, we RARELY even use the white striped pants.

I didn't know you were on the team! :P

Yes, yes. I refer to the Rams as "we" just as anyone would refer their favorite team as "my team". I've just grown up with the Rams, they moved to St. Louis when I was a toddler and I've had season ticket since like '98. My dad also works for the Rams, security, so he and I do refer to them as "we" or "us". I think any sports fan would. Say your favorite (we'll go with football) football team won the Super Bowl, it would make more sence to me to exclaim "Oh my God, we won the Super Bowl!" then to say "Oh my God, they won the Super Bowl!".

See what I mean? :D

I really hope they get the Rams unis right this time with the gold pants at home instead of the white striped ones, we RARELY even use the white striped pants.

Apparently, in St. Louis, everyone is a member of their sports franchises. Not only are they on the team, but they are family as well. Best of chums too!

:D

Apparently, in St. Louis, everyone is a member of their sports franchises. Not only are they on the team, but they are family as well. Best of chums too!

:D

Boooooooooo!

At first I thought they had the wrong pants piping color, but it doesn't look like they have the red piping on the jerseys (armpit area).

joeysacked.JPG

Not a big deal, but I noticed it haha.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

For all of the frustrated Madden fans out there, the new producer, Phil Frazier, had a Q&A with fans on the EA boards. Here's an interesting quote:

"Uniform Accuracy - There is one primary reason for our uniforms being innaccurate. We receive official style guides from the NFL each year that details the uniforms that the teams are supposed to wear. The problem is, the teams then ignore the style guides and mix and match their own combinations. This year, instead of using the NFL styleguides the team is using game footage to note which combos NFL teams actually wear. I'm confident we'll be MUCH more accurate this year. "

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?t...=0&tstart=0

In addition to that, take a look at this screenshot of Trent Cole. It looks like they've FINALLY customized the nameplates according to team:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005832714.jpg

THANK GOD! This is very exciting. Also nice to see they finally got Philly's new number font correct

These screenshots have me pumped. Looks like they improved the look of the jerseys a lot. A couple things specifically:

Here you can see they have shorter sleeves, and fixed the way Reebok shortens the sleeve stripes:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005835480.jpg

And a really exciting thing, they fixed the Bears jerseys to have the mesh shoulders:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005748841_640w.jpg

While that Cowboys star looks pretty damn big and somewhat pixelated, the graphic details and improvements to the uniforms looks outstanding. I can't wait.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's all well and good, HOWEVER, how do they explain that in Madden 08, the Patriots and another team that I can't remember have ALL-WHITE socks? No stripes, no color, just all white. I'm fairly certain that wasn't in the style guide. Getting uniform number styles wrong isn't in the style guide either. Or, how about fixing the way helmet numbers are for single-digit players like Roethlisberger. Or, maybe they could just fix it so that new players drafted into the league aren't randomly assigned uniform numbers. There are too many offensive and defensive linemen wearing the number 1.

You might be fairly certain but you are also wrong. Here is a screen shot from the official style guide provided to EA the past 3 years (including this year). As you can see the NFL does not update the site too often as the uniform for the Pats is from 06, and when team make small changes like socks they don't bother to update the style guides. They also in fact mix and match the combos on these often and it is not possible to have all the possible combos in game in the amount of time EA has to develope the title. It comes down to spending the time on new game play feature or spending the time on art. I think we would all agree we want new features other wise you are spending $60 on the exact same game with new art and new rosters. So as you can see the socks in the style guide were in fact all white and is why EA did what they did. EA's QA department has been fighting with the art department for 3 years about the out dated reference material and trying to get the art department to use reference photos from the previous season when at all possible, but it wasn't until this year that they finally listened after one of the QA employees put together a report to show them just how out dated the NFL provided material is. This is why EA finally decided not to use the NFL provided style guides.

style_guide.jpg

Archived