Madden 09

zjac7

That's all well and good, HOWEVER, how do they explain that in Madden 08, the Patriots and another team that I can't remember have ALL-WHITE socks? No stripes, no color, just all white. I'm fairly certain that wasn't in the style guide. Getting uniform number styles wrong isn't in the style guide either. Or, how about fixing the way helmet numbers are for single-digit players like Roethlisberger. Or, maybe they could just fix it so that new players drafted into the league aren't randomly assigned uniform numbers. There are too many offensive and defensive linemen wearing the number 1.

You might be fairly certain but you are also wrong. Here is a screen shot from the official style guide provided to EA the past 3 years (including this year). As you can see the NFL does not update the site too often as the uniform for the Pats is from 06, and when team make small changes like socks they don't bother to update the style guides. They also in fact mix and match the combos on these often and it is not possible to have all the possible combos in game in the amount of time EA has to develope the title. It comes down to spending the time on new game play feature or spending the time on art. I think we would all agree we want new features other wise you are spending $60 on the exact same game with new art and new rosters. So as you can see the socks in the style guide were in fact all white and is why EA did what they did. EA's QA department has been fighting with the art department for 3 years about the out dated reference material and trying to get the art department to use reference photos from the previous season when at all possible, but it wasn't until this year that they finally listened after one of the QA employees put together a report to show them just how out dated the NFL provided material is. This is why EA finally decided not to use the NFL provided style guides.

style_guide.jpg

Why is there only a stripe on one of the shoulders, for the navy jersey?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's all well and good, HOWEVER, how do they explain that in Madden 08, the Patriots and another team that I can't remember have ALL-WHITE socks? No stripes, no color, just all white. I'm fairly certain that wasn't in the style guide. Getting uniform number styles wrong isn't in the style guide either. Or, how about fixing the way helmet numbers are for single-digit players like Roethlisberger. Or, maybe they could just fix it so that new players drafted into the league aren't randomly assigned uniform numbers. There are too many offensive and defensive linemen wearing the number 1.

You might be fairly certain but you are also wrong. Here is a screen shot from the official style guide provided to EA the past 3 years (including this year). As you can see the NFL does not update the site too often as the uniform for the Pats is from 06, and when team make small changes like socks they don't bother to update the style guides. They also in fact mix and match the combos on these often and it is not possible to have all the possible combos in game in the amount of time EA has to develope the title. It comes down to spending the time on new game play feature or spending the time on art. I think we would all agree we want new features other wise you are spending $60 on the exact same game with new art and new rosters. So as you can see the socks in the style guide were in fact all white and is why EA did what they did. EA's QA department has been fighting with the art department for 3 years about the out dated reference material and trying to get the art department to use reference photos from the previous season when at all possible, but it wasn't until this year that they finally listened after one of the QA employees put together a report to show them just how out dated the NFL provided material is. This is why EA finally decided not to use the NFL provided style guides.

style_guide.jpg

To answer the question exactly they were messing it up every year you have to wait til someone post patches online

which website is that?

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

style_guide.jpg

which website is that?

It is the official NFL consumer website that anyone that is an officially licensed NFL distributor has access to. Sorry I can not give out the address.

Like I said the material uploaded by the NFL themeselves isn't accurate. Missing stripes on socks, missing stripes on jerseys, uniform pants that are never worn. This site is the reason for the all brown pants on Cleveland in game the past few years as well, and thank god EA is only going to use it when it absolutely has to from now on in the case of a brand new uniform where reference photos are not an option.

And a really exciting thing, they fixed the Bears jerseys to have the mesh shoulders:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005748841_640w.jpg

That may be the case, but the sleeve numbers are all wrong, just like on Reebok's retail jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's good news that they stopped using the style guides when they were clearly not accurate. Why use something that while "official" is never correct over using footage that is unquestionably accurate? It never made sense before, now they've come around.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And a really exciting thing, they fixed the Bears jerseys to have the mesh shoulders:

That may be the case, but the sleeve numbers are all wrong, just like on Reebok's retail jerseys.

Anybody know if the Bears will have shoulder stitching on the captains' jerseys? Now THAT would be attention to detail.

For that matter, how's about the captain's patches in general?

Sigs are for sissies.

style_guide.jpg

Wow. Thanks for clarifying this. I never in a million years would have guessed that the style guide would have the all-white socks, etc. I wish EA could just work with the teams directly. That would seem to make things more accurate. I guess you learn something new every day.

do you have a cleveland browns one you can show?

Here is the style guide for Cleveland from the site. As you can see there are two pant options for home and away and the "primary" pant is the larger of the two. So again the NFL provided style guides with inaccurate info b/c as everyone can see the aways show all brown pants as the "primary" pant to be worn with the aways.

To answer another?s question the reason they don't work directly with the teams is b/c all officially licensed NFL dealers are directed to use this site. The only problem is unless there is a drastic change the NFL does not update it. Sock changes no updates... which pants with which jersey is difficult as well as the teams mix and match and there is no way to predict what combo will be worn primarily for the upcoming season. This other thing that this site does not show is what color shoes the team wear "black or white". All and all it is a piss poor site that the NFL forces retailers to use.

style_guide2.jpg

do you have a cleveland browns one you can show?

Here is the style guide for Cleveland from the site. As you can see there are two pant options for home and away and the "primary" pant is the larger of the two. So again the NFL provided style guides with inaccurate info b/c as everyone can see the aways show all brown pants as the "primary" pant to be worn with the aways.

To answer another?s question the reason they don't work directly with the teams is b/c all officially licensed NFL dealers are directed to use this site. The only problem is unless there is a drastic change the NFL does not update it. Sock changes no updates... which pants with which jersey is difficult as well as the teams mix and match and there is no way to predict what combo will be worn primarily for the upcoming season. This other thing that this site does not show is what color shoes the team wear "black or white". All and all it is a piss poor site that the NFL forces retailers to use.

style_guide2.jpg

thanks, I agree they should put every jersey pant and sock combo and mix and match

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Y'know, I'd love it if Madden would have it so that you select the helmet for the team, then jersey, then pants, and have three parts on the player, not just a full uni block.

For instance, we might use the Seahawks as the example.

Seahawks would first allow current helmet or throwback helmet.

Assuming you pick the current helmet, you're then allowed blue jersey or white jersey, and then blue pants or white pants.

Assuming you pick the throwback helmet, you're then allowed the retro blue or retro white jersey, which would be paired with silver pants.

LvZYtbZ.png

Y'know, I'd love it if Madden would have it so that you select the helmet for the team, then jersey, then pants, and have three parts on the player, not just a full uni block.

Assuming you pick the current helmet, you're then allowed blue jersey or white jersey, and then blue pants or white pants.

Assuming you pick the throwback helmet, you're then allowed the retro blue or retro white jersey, which would be paired with silver pants.

That's what I wish EA did with MVP Baseball. Say I'm the Cubs, and I want to wear the blue jerseys on the road I can pick their road cap. Then you can pick the blue jersey. Then you pair it with gray pants. Sometimes it gets annoying if they are wearing their home hats and pinstriped pants on the road.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Anybody know if the Bears will have shoulder stitching on the captains' jerseys? Now THAT would be attention to detail.

Is it only captains? I thought it was linemen and linebackers mostly that had the stripes...

That would be the best way.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Is it only captains? I thought it was linemen and linebackers mostly that had the stripes...

The extra stitching on the Bears' jerseys has nothing to do with captains, it is merely to prevent tearing of the fabric, which is why it is seen mostly on the heavy-wear positions-lineman, linebackers etc. And they will have the Captain's patches (unfortunately), saw em in another screenshot.

Here's the "C" on Donnie Edwards:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005823730.jpg

Man that's good detail! Too bad I hate the friggin' C. It only looks good in hockey.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Here's the "C" on Donnie Edwards:

madden-nfl-09-20080428005823730.jpg

Edwards deserves a thumb in the eye for wearing a sleeveless jersey. B)

Just kidding of course but that jersey sure looks sleeveless from that angle. And obviously McFadden won't be wearing #5 (yes, I know they show them like that because a number hasn't been assigned).

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived