Website Trying To Bring NHL Back To Quebec

josh_cat_eyes

That's a little extreme... I mean couldn't we have just 2 more teams... is that really asking so much?

You have one NHL team for every 5.5 million people in your country. We have one for every 10.7 million people in ours. Based on that, I'd say you're getting your fair share, at least.

Now listen, I'd love to see the Whalers come back to Hartford. But it's not going to happen. Times change, the economics of sports change, and just because I want my team back doesn't mean I'm going to embark on some foolhardy crusade to return them to their "rightful place," while displaying a petulant sense of entitlement all the while. It's not 1996 anymore, plain and simple.

Those 5.5 million people are much more likely to buy season tickets than 10.7 million americans... I'd even put them up against 30 million americans. The NHL on NBC is one of the lowest rated shows in prime time history.

Well...to begin with the NHL on NBC isn't on primetime.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those 5.5 million people are also less likely to comprise a tax base capable of sustaining an additional professional sports franchise, and its continuing desire for upgraded facilities. Nor are they as likely to provide the requisite corporate support.

Like it or not, Jake, your country's favorite sport needs American money, and lots of it, to maintain its participation in that sport's premier professional league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Those 5.5 million people are also less likely to comprise a tax base capable of sustaining an additional professional sports franchise, and its continuing desire for upgraded facilities. Nor are they as likely to provide the requisite corporate support.

Like it or not, Jake, your country's favorite sport needs American money, and lots of it, to maintain its participation in that sport's premier professional league.

That's true... but eventually, lack of support and a dwindling fanbase will catch up to american teams and corporate support will fall. Corporations & governments won't keep investing in a sport that no one cares about.

thecatch.jpg

That's true... but eventually, lack of support and a dwindling fanbase will catch up to american teams and corporate support will fall. Corporations & governments won't keep investing in a sport that no one cares about.

...and immediately after that Canadians will begin to magically spit bars of platinum out of their rear ends to make up for the lost revenue?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

...and immediately after that Canadians will begin to magically spit bars of platinum out of their rear ends to make up for the lost revenue?

I don't really think we have to "spit" platinum bars just to get 2 more canadian teams.

thecatch.jpg

I don't really think we have to "spit" platinum bars just to get 2 more canadian teams.

The other 24 NHL teams appreciate your concern for them.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

How else will you pay for two new arenas?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Canadian corporations and canadian government who WILL pay for a sport that people actually watch up here. I'm not saying this will happen overnight, but if current trends keep going forwards the way they are right now, (lack of american interest in the game, stronger canadian dollar, an over saturated TV market in the States) then this is an eventuality.

thecatch.jpg

Yeah... I gotta say that does help. Listen, I think canadian expansion or relocation is an eventuality, Bettman himself has even said that the NHL is interested in returning to Winnipeg under this much stronger canadian dollar.

When they do, just don't expect the Jets as the name of the Club

Why not? Who owns the name?

I believe, but could be wrong, that Barry Shenkarow still owns the rights to the name, but it is under license to NHL Properties. If (and by if, I mean "not going to happen") the NHL returns to Dirrrtypeg, BS will want a mint for the rights.

Of course, there's also a team in the NFL called the Jets, and chances are, the New York Football Jets could cause a stink if another pro team, albeit in a third-rate town like Winnipeg, wanted to use the name; that whole 'copyright' thing could come into play.

Of course, considering the old Winnipeg Arena only held ~15,300 seats in the first place, and only averaged 11,313 in the final season (and just over 13,000 in the 2 seasons prior). Even considering it was a lame duck year, that's not exactly a sterling endorsement of future success.

Still looking, however, for current merch sales for the Jets (NHL Vintage line). I know in Winnipeg and Vancouver you can't throw a rock without hitting a Jets cap or jersey, but...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Canadian corporations and canadian government who WILL pay for a sport that people actually watch up here. I'm not saying this will happen overnight, but if current trends keep going forwards the way they are right now, (lack of american interest in the game, stronger canadian dollar, an over saturated TV market in the States) then this is an eventuality.

Then why didn't it happen in the 1990s?

Today, we are all otaku.

Canadian corporations and canadian government who WILL pay for a sport that people actually watch up here.

Oh great, just the folks you need to bail out an untenable financial situation... a national government.

You're better off hoping your shorts start filling with bars of platinum* then.

*For the record, a standard 27.4 pound bar of platinum will fetch you about $773200 on the world market today (Platinum closed at $1933/oz. today)

Cause hockey was hot in the States in the 90's.

So....if you analyzed trends based on that...would you not have concluded that several other Canadian teams would ultimately move?

Today, we are all otaku.

Silly. Canada didn't have a government or corporations back then because its dollar was so weak. I thought you studied history.

Anyway, I anxiously await the new, financially sound NHL, sponsored primarily by Rona.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So....if you analyzed trends based on that...would you not have concluded that several other Canadian teams would ultimately move?

Meh, the remaining canadian clubs were pretty strong economically. (besides the Sens who used to not be so strong but are strong now)

Ummm... I dunno, I guess I'm just an optimistic person hoping for the Jets and Nords to return... goodnight.

thecatch.jpg

Silly. Canada didn't have a government or corporations back then because its dollar was so weak. I thought you studied history.

Anyway, I anxiously await the new, financially sound NHL, sponsored primarily by Rona.

That's pretty funny.

thecatch.jpg

Meh, the remaining canadian clubs were pretty strong economically. (besides the Sens who used to not be so strong but are strong now)

Ummm... I dunno, I guess I'm just an optimistic person hoping for the Jets and Nords to return... goodnight.

Didn't the Oilers or the Flames almost move to Oklahoma City during this time period?

Today, we are all otaku.

Didn't the Oilers or the Flames almost move to Oklahoma City during this time period?

I know there was talk of the Flames moving and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy in the late '90s/early '00s. I don't specifically remember a mention of OKC in the equation, though.

At this point, it should be noted that Oklahoma City has had one of the biggest, most consistent draws in North American minor league hockey this decade, averaging 8500-9000 per game most seasons. Consider that established fan base (for lower-tier minor hockey, mind you,) and combine that with the impending arrival of the city's first major league tenant, and I would think that Oklahoma City might be the NHL's target #2 for relocation, behind Kansas City.

Archived