Anaglyph

officeglenn

All right, so we did a story this week on an art show featuring work from high school students. The big thing was that this was most all three-dimensional stuff. I wanted to get that 3D thing across on the cover, but I don't know how well I succeeded. What do you think?

cover2.png

Okay, here's take two. Used two different photos, and didn't convert them to grayscale first. I think it looks better, especially for the cover of a newspaper:

cover3_flat.png

With take one, I didn't know what to say. Visually I didn't find it appealing, but I understood the intent, so it was alright.

With take two, I think you nailed it. The faux-3D effect is there, and it is a much more pleasing image to look at.

I'm not sure if that's the standard typeface you use on your paper, but I think perhaps there's a better one out there.

That's Futura Bold, right? I love Futura, but it doesn't work as well in my opinion for that usuage.

Kinda screams free, weekly, newspaper. Which I'm guessing it is. But no harm in trying to make it look like more.

That said, it doesn't detract from it or anything.

With take one, I didn't know what to say. Visually I didn't find it appealing, but I understood the intent, so it was alright.

With take two, I think you nailed it. The faux-3D effect is there, and it is a much more pleasing image to look at.

I'm not sure if that's the standard typeface you use on your paper, but I think perhaps there's a better one out there.

That's Futura Bold, right? I love Futura, but it doesn't work as well in my opinion for that usuage.

Kinda screams free, weekly, newspaper. Which I'm guessing it is. But no harm in trying to make it look like more.

That said, it doesn't detract from it or anything.

Thanks for the comments. Now I just have to hope, pray and touch wood that it prints out nicely.

Yeah, we use Futura for our headline font β€” Futura Extra Bold on the cover, Futura Bold or Medium elsewhere inside the paper. When we redesigned about a year ago, I tried talking the powers that be into something else, to no avail. We've got a limited selection on the computers here, and no budget to buy new ones. I can still dream, though. ^_^

I just happen to have a pair of 3d glasses at my desk... I get a better effect from the first take.

I just got a pair today (for a non-related reason) and for what it's worth, the first one looks MUCH better in 3D. What exactly did you do to get the faux effect here. I've done 3D drawings before, but never photos. This works pretty well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I just happen to have a pair of 3d glasses at my desk... I get a better effect from the first take.

I just got a pair today (for a non-related reason) and for what it's worth, the first one looks MUCH better in 3D. What exactly did you do to get the faux effect here. I've done 3D drawings before, but never photos. This works pretty well.

Hmmm ... interesting. The tutorials I was reading online did say that using grayscale photos would make the 3D effect "pop" more. Unfortunately, that was not the only consideration here; it still had to look good on the cover of the paper.

The tutorial I used, for the most part, is here.

Archived