What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

Most of you are on point. No need for more Navy, Bright Red, Black, or Royal teams in the Association.

Oh, sweet! It's 2004 again! Maybe we'll get that presidential vote right this time.

O/T I hate to break it to you Gitlin, but that Presidential vote was a "no win scenario".

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I shouldn't have brought it up. It's the only other cultural reference I could think of from way back then other than the overly-used-and-then-quickly-dropped "Association" nickname for the NBA.

On topic, how about the Oklahoma City Bennetts?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this enthusiasm...

I suggest someone start coming up with some concepts and we get some identity concepts going in the Concepts form.

COuld be fun to see some of these ideas come to life...

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Most of you are on point. No need for more Navy, Bright Red, Black, or Royal teams in the Association.

Oh, sweet! It's 2004 again! Maybe we'll get that presidential vote right this time.

O/T I hate to break it to you Gitlin, but that Presidential vote was a "no win scenario".

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I shouldn't have brought it up. It's the only other cultural reference I could think of from way back then other than the overly-used-and-then-quickly-dropped "Association" nickname for the NBA.

On topic, how about the Oklahoma City Bennetts?

I guess it comes from listening to Jim Rome every weekday, as thats what he still calls it. sorry to date myself 4 years.

Well, to be appropriate as to how they got the team, they could be the Rustlers, the Absconders, the Carpetbaggers, the Border Jumpers...

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Long time lurker, I have no design talent of my own so I admire the fine work here.

As a 'burb resident of OKC, I wouldn't mind seeing Cyclones, Twisters, or some other synonym for tornado. I mean its Oklahoma! I was just missed by a tornado Thursday! I think the only other acceptable names would be something southwestern and old timey (way overdone) or something dealing with the Native American tribes that were relocated here (not quite PC). It would be a cop out but I might even be satisfied with Storm and I'm generally opposed to singular names.

As for colors, I would love it if they kept the Sonic's colors, provided it would fit with whatever identity they choose, just because they look so good. Not to mention, there aren't many green and yellow teams in the NBA (Hornets being the other...sort of). If not that then maybe a lighter blue and yellow with green accents borrowing the colors from the state flag.

flag.gif

Just some thoughts, now back to the shadows I go.

Long time lurker, I have no design talent of my own so I admire the fine work here.

As a 'burb resident of OKC, I wouldn't mind seeing Cyclones, Twisters, or some other synonym for tornado. I mean its Oklahoma! I was just missed by a tornado Thursday! I think the only other acceptable names would be something southwestern and old timey (way overdone) or something dealing with the Native American tribes that were relocated here (not quite PC). It would be a cop out but I might even be satisfied with Storm and I'm generally opposed to singular names.

As for colors, I would love it if they kept the Sonic's colors, provided it would fit with whatever identity they choose, just because they look so good. Not to mention, there aren't many green and yellow teams in the NBA (Hornets being the other...sort of). If not that then maybe a lighter blue and yellow with green accents borrowing the colors from the state flag.

flag.gif

cyclone or tornado related name might upset those who have had whole sale communities destroyed by tornados. It would be like renaming the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Hurricanes, which would be totally inappropriate.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

flag.gif

cyclone or tornado related name might upset those who have had whole sale communities destroyed by tornados. It would be like renaming the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Hurricanes, which would be totally inappropriate.

I do see what you're saying, but we're not putting this team in Greensburg, KS.

Believe me, we Okies are strangely proud of our unusual weather. If you've lived in Oklahoma for any length of time you've been affected by a tornado. Nobody was up in arms over the San Jose Earthquakes and Northern CA has been the epicenter of some pretty distructive quakes. Tornados would be something more of a rallying cry like they appear to be for California (I may be projecting our attitude toward tornados on to them, if so let me know...). Its something everyone here deals with.

Similar to the Buccaneers, but representing both OU and OSU, template-wise.

Ugh. And I have no doubt that representing the college teams would be important to the owners.

However, I am strongly against professional sports teams aping the colors of the college teams surrounding their markets. It makes the pro team immediately second-best, and it makes the fans of the region look like rubes. It's okay to have unique identities without worrying about offending the delicate sensibilities of hick college sports fans.

When the Atlanta Falcons first started playing football, they added a gold stripe to appease Georgia Tech fans. Depending on the region and the schools, some owners might take a listen.

Most professional sports teams in Alabama shy away from using Crimson, Orange, or Blue in their colors. If they do, they use both Crimson and Blue to appeal to Auburn and Alabama fans.

I would'nt like them to be called the Oklahoma Oilers... especially for 2 reasons:

1. Tulsa Oilers, CHL hockey team... I don't wanna be associated with Tulsa.

2. They're Oklahoma City... not Oklahoma.. Tulsa can go fall off a cliff.

spacer.png

I'm still liking Thunderbirds. I'd be ecstatic if Bennett brought back the 89ers name...

BTW, I just did a trademark search for "Oklahoma City" and didn't turn up anything other than the Blazers haven't protected their marks.

CORRECTION, I did eventually find a live service mark for the Blazers...

I'd like it to be something Native American related, especially because it would distinguish them from the Sooners and Cowboys themes. Plus, if done right could be somewhat of a nod toward reconciliation or acknowledgment of the state's past. Unfortunately, the trend in the NBA has been toward very generic safe names which no one could take offense to such as Heat, Hornets, Magic (yes, a nod to Disney), Bobcats, etc. Cyclones, umm Iowa State?

Thunderbirds is very cool and wouldn't they play in the Ford Center for awhile? a win-win.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I'm still liking Thunderbirds. I'd be ecstatic if Bennett brought back the 89ers name...

BTW, I just did a trademark search for "Oklahoma City" and didn't turn up anything other than the Blazers haven't protected their marks.

Good idea. Oklahoma City should steal as much as it can from Seattle. Next thing you know, Amazon.com is going to relocate there.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Good idea. Oklahoma City should steal as much as it can from Seattle. Next thing you know, Amazon.com is going to relocate there.

Seattle does not have a monopoly on "Thunderbirds." Get out a map and take a look at that big lake on the east side of Norman, or look up the 45th Infantry Division....

I've already established how the Sonics name was more appropriate for OKC than it EVER was for Seattle.

Similar to the Buccaneers, but representing both OU and OSU, template-wise.

Ugh. And I have no doubt that representing the college teams would be important to the owners.

However, I am strongly against professional sports teams aping the colors of the college teams surrounding their markets. It makes the pro team immediately second-best, and it makes the fans of the region look like rubes. It's okay to have unique identities without worrying about offending the delicate sensibilities of hick college sports fans.

The Georgia Force arena football team tried to appease the UGA and Georgia Tech supporters by adding these two stripes, one red and one gold, to their helmets in their first couple games here...

AFL_Force_5.gifArena_Force_2.gif

Seattle does not have a monopoly on "Thunderbirds." Get out a map and take a look at that big lake on the east side of Norman, or look up the 45th Infantry Division....

I read that entry, and you're right, it would make for a cool name. According to the Wiki, however, that infantry division was based out of four states, but whatever. If it's a source of regional pride, then so be it. It'd be a new name for the NBA, and would give the league (presumably) a red and yellow color combination that it has lost over the past couple of years.

You have to admit, however, that's it'd be pretty funny if Oklahoma City took a team and a name from Seattle. That's all.

I've already established how the Sonics name was more appropriate for OKC than it EVER was for Seattle.

And I'm still not convinced. After a while, 40 years of tradition means a lot more than something that did or didn't happen. The SuperSonics name has evolved to be synonymous with Boeing, but also innovation. I think that plus four operating decades is reason enough for the name to be fitting here.

We could go on here, but I think it would just reiterate the arguments made in the thread you linked. Simply, Seattle is a much higher-profile city than OKC. The things that mean something there don't mean as much to the rest of the country. To the people who haven't been there or don't live in the mid/southwest, Oklahoma City, fairly or not, equals cowboys, corn, Indian tribes, and dust -- certainly not airplanes, sonic booms, or anything involving higher tech.

Archived