What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

I have to go w/ Generals or Barons. Both seem to fit NBA nicely and are not WNBA/AFLish at all. As for Tornado's or Twisters I would consider those equivalent to naming the team the Bombers. Completely outrageous. Also aren't the names Dragons, Rhinos, and Spiders always tossed around regarding expansion teams. I know the Bobcats were almost the Dragons and several NFL teams considered the Rhinos and Spiders back in 95.... :blink:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My OKC NBA favorite names so far:

Thunderbirds - T-Birds works as a cool nickname. I love the notion of a bird the size of a Piper Cub & the whole flight notion plays to NBA ball played above the rim. The Native American connection is an added bonus and would make a cool logo/wordmark/uniform motif.

Roughnecks - I know it was Tulsa's NASL team. It references OK's energy history & prominence. It could also have an urban "Ruffnexx" hip-hop connotation which could be bad or good, ie, parents wouldn't like it but kids probably would.

Posse - Has a western/southwestern history reference coupled with still another modern urban inference that could again p'o parents to their kids' delight. "Posse" has a collective/team connotation that would include its' fans & not necessarily negatively.

These three names are fairly original beyond the ever-dwindling "still unused sports team name" trove like Generals, Cougars, Knights, etc. They all have relevance to OKC & the state; as well, two have a modern connotation that may be popular & relatively "between the lines" unobjectionable.

Team colors? Most of the earth tone & state flag color suggestions seem apt & appealing. Basically I'd hope for ANYTHING besides the over-used "NBA generic blue" like the Grizzlies & the Hawks have adopted, although I like their basic looks.

Enjoy the NBA, OKC, I know you'll be good to your team and Seattle NBA fans, hang in there. Take heart from NFL cities & their fans who lost teams then got ones back. The Big Sports Wheel In The Sky keeps on turnin' & cue the Journey music! ;)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

OKC Challengers (Red/Blue/Green)

OKC Originals (Generals?) (Brown/Green/Red/White)

OKC Lazers (Lakers, Pacers, TrailBlazers) (Yellow/Black)

Oklahoma Storm (USBL franchise) (Black/Grey/Yellow)

Orange/Black - Oklahoma State +

Crimson/White - Oklahoma

OKC Wrebs (Rib of Eve, BBQ Ribs, Rebounds, Rens/Wrens, Confederate Soldiers*)

OKC Riggz (Think Semi-Truck)

Oklahoma City Stampede

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Oklahoma Drillers (Drilled that shot, didn't he, Digger?)

Oklahoma City Slickers (Is it OKC Slickers, or OK City Slickers, only Billy Crystal knows.)

Oklahoma Rawhides

Oklahoma Marshalls

And a few cheap shots:

Oklahoma Sexuals

Oklahoma Phobics

Oklahoma TeamAdvantages

Oklahoma Loners

Thunderbirds - T-Birds works as a cool nickname.

So, as they are in the same division, we'd often have the T-Birds playing the T-Wolves....

:P

It is what it is.

Thunderbirds - T-Birds works as a cool nickname.

So, as they are in the same division, we'd often have the T-Birds playing the T-Wolves....

:P

T-Reffic.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Maybe they should name the team after a current movie that reflects popular culture, but will be old in six months like, say, the Oklahoma City Ironman

Sincerely,

The Toronto Raptors :rolleyes:

Let me suggest Oklahoma Villains. The idea being that, for all the Cowboy-related names in Texas' professional sports, the Oklahoma professional team would be a natural rival. And the mascot could have a pointy moustache.

Has to be either the:

- Oklahoma City Outlaws

- Oklahoma City Bandits

Given what the owners have done to the great city of Seattle. Or what about:

- Oklahoma City Pawns

- Oklahoma City Tools

For being good little boys and playing their part in Stern's vendetta against the city of Seattle

Has to be either the:

- Oklahoma City Outlaws

- Oklahoma City Bandits

Given what the owners have done to the great city of Seattle. Or what about:

- Oklahoma City Pawns

- Oklahoma City Tools

For being good little boys and playing their part in Stern's vendetta against the city of Seattle

I don't think Pawns or Tools would work because it implies that it's the people of Oklahoma City are the ones that are Pawns and Tools... but Bandits, on the other hand, is more appropriate. They made out like Bandits! ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I like outlaw, villains and bandits just because of the way the team was moved and it fits the local cowboy persona. T-Birds would not work because the Native Cultures who have thunderbirds in the legends are from the Northwest, which is why the Seattle hockey team is called T-Birds. It doesn't make sense to name the OKC team after Seattle's hockey team and native cultures. I think Bandits is close enough for Seattle fans to call them the OKC Bastards.

2000Patch.jpg

Discussion over!

All right then. Close up the thread, boys. This one is done! Captain Apollo's clear mind and strong vision saved us any further wasted discussion. We owe him one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe they should name the team after a current movie that reflects popular culture, but will be old in six months like, say, the Oklahoma City Ironman

Sincerely,

The Toronto Raptors :rolleyes:

Funny, but actually has precedent. From Wikipedia:

The Pittsburgh Ironmen were a charter member of the Basketball Association of America (a forerunner of the National Basketball Association). The team was based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They ended their only season in the BAA in 1946-47 with a record of 15-45, finishing in fifth and last place in the Western Division and worst overall in the league. The team played at Duquesne Gardens.

It is what it is.

The Pittsburgh Ironmen were a charter member of the Basketball Association of America (a forerunner of the National Basketball Association). The team was based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They ended their only season in the BAA in 1946-47 with a record of 15-45, finishing in fifth and last place in the Western Division and worst overall in the league. The team played at Duquesne Gardens.

Sorry if I'm going WAY off topic BUT wouldn't "Pittsburgh Iron Men" be THE perfect Pittsburgh NBA team name? The NEW Pittsburgh Arena lights come up, the team takes the court to the pounding Black Sabbath "Iron Man" intro, ". . . and the crowd goes WILD!". I'm NOT saying it's time for ANOTHER "Pittsburgh NBA?" thread BUT their new arena ought to be SWEET, the Pens are ALWAYS sold out, PA only has one NBA tream, it's a natural Philly 76'ers rivalry . . . I'm just sayin' is all . . .

Oh yeah, GO Oklahoma CITY Roughnecks! B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Archived