What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

Because they look good. Besides, no other team in the NBA uses those shades (I think).

I think Day-Glo colors are probably a bad idea. Very few teams have actually ever used them successfully, and I think they could be a bit of a printing nightmare.

It's better to stick to the tried-and-true PMS (or even Goe) colors.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because they look good. Besides, no other team in the NBA uses those shades (I think).
I think Day-Glo colors are probably a bad idea. Very few teams have actually ever used them successfully, and I think they could be a bit of a printing nightmare.

Well, then again, the Floridians used them successfully, I want to say...

That said, I'd love to see a team use them just because it's different. Besides, purple and green is not a combination you see very much in the four major sports.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, then again, the Floridians used them successfully, I want to say...

That said, I'd love to see a team use them just because it's different. Besides, purple and green is not a combination you see very much in the four major sports.

The Floridians didn't use Day-Glo colors though.

It isn't the color choices I'm objecting to; just the use of fluorescents.

I like either Wrangler or Outlaws. Just what I would associate with the area (although I've never been there, so I don't know if its really accurate). I also think Orange would work as a primary color. Mostly because no other team uses orange as a primary color (unless I'm forgetting someone).

The Suns and Bobcats don't use orange as their primary color, but they do wear their orange jerseys a lot.

I do like the sound of Oklahoma City Outlaws though. I'd go with an old West theme. Maybe black, bronze and red.

nah, I think DG_Now rubs him the wrong way.

There has been an exceptional amount of self-righteousness and elitism from people in Seattle(DG's been the most vocal) on every thread regarding this.

Can you blame them, really? They're just as upset about losing teams as fans of any other city would.

You can be upset about losing the team without lashing out towards the other city as "flyover country", "less important", etc.

I think rams80 and I have a pretty good dialogue, for what it's worth. At least I think so on my end.

And Oklahoma City is less important than Seattle, and it is in what we colloquially term flyover country. If you want to call me elitist, feel free to do so, but I don't see how either of those "lashings out" are so bad.

The funniest part is that I'm not even from here. I think if your municipality was losing a team, you'd be frustrated too. And even more so considering how special this particular case is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I do like the sound of Oklahoma City Outlaws though. I'd go with an old West theme. Maybe black, bronze and red.

My problem with this line of thinking about the team name is that Oklahoma actually has relatively little old West history. There was some cattle-trail activity and all, but as far as our stereotypes of the old West go, Oklahoma is practically a hole in the map until the frontier was pretty much settled.

Given Oklahoma's status as home to many native tribes, and having existed under at least six different national governments, I'd be more inclined to go with something like the Sovereigns. Or the Okies. I'd lean toward using Western colors and iconography, but I'd try to keep the name a bit more current.

I'd also throw the Riders, Gushers, and Dusters into the mix.

20082614447.png

nah, I think DG_Now rubs him the wrong way.

There has been an exceptional amount of self-righteousness and elitism from people in Seattle(DG's been the most vocal) on every thread regarding this.

Can you blame them, really? They're just as upset about losing teams as fans of any other city would.

You can be upset about losing the team without lashing out towards the other city as "flyover country", "less important", etc.

I think rams80 and I have a pretty good dialogue, for what it's worth. At least I think so on my end.

And Oklahoma City is less important than Seattle, and it is in what we colloquially term flyover country. If you want to call me elitist, feel free to do so, but I don't see how either of those "lashings out" are so bad.

The funniest part is that I'm not even from here. I think if your municipality was losing a team, you'd be frustrated too. And even more so considering how special this particular case is.

I agree that we have a good dialogue. It's just that I find myself identifying far more with the "flyover country" crowd, so constant railing against it does get old. For what it's worth, I wonder what the conversation would have been like in 1980 vis-a-vis the move of the Atlanta Flames to Calgary.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just want to say that I have nothing against the people of OC, just the Sonics' ownership group.

What is sad though is that Clay and his boys have basically reinforced many negative stereotypes outsiders have of people from Oklahoma with their actions. Given their reckless process so far, I'd have to say that they might actually continue the train wreck and arrogantly name themselves something like the Bandits as a final "it's what we are and there isn't a thing you can do about it" gesture.

For what it's worth, I wonder what the conversation would have been like in 1980 vis-a-vis the move of the Atlanta Flames to Calgary.

"Yeah, as if people in Atlanta will notice their hockey team will move" :upside:

Yeah, I do view Seattle is "more important" than Oklahoma City. As for the "flyover", I see it more as "fly past" as I view Seattle as a destination people go to. But how many people view Oklahoma City as a "destination"? Perhaps those living in Nebraska, but not New Yorkers .

I saw, I came, I left.

Just occurred to me, why not call them the Oklahoma City Ducks? If you remember in all his emails to basically everyone, Clay was saying their last season in Seattle was sure to be a "lame duck season" and that the team themselves were lame ducks.

Also, didn't Bennett tentatively call them team the OKC Sonic Boom (or Sonic Boomers) in an email? Would that work while leaving the name Supersonics in Seattle?

I haven't gotten any malicious sense of "elitism" (and man, that shouldn't ever be an epithet) from Seattle fans, only the standard hurt that happens when a city loses, or might lose, a team. Nothing more than I get from Devil Ray fans whenever that subject comes up.

I haven't a horse in this race - no particular love for Seattle, and I've never been to Oklahoma City. Basketball's not even my sport. But it seems obvious to me that, with the emails that have been leaked, Seattle wasn't treated with anything approaching honesty by the Sonics' new owners or by the NBA. So I can understand a little frustration on their end.

Now, does that mean Oklahoma City shouldn't get a team? Not at all. They did well by the Hornets in those games, and the NBA is traditionally a mid-market league. So yes, to my mind there seems ample evidence that the NBA should put a team there, just as there is ample evidence that it shouldn't be the Sonics.

I haven't gotten any malicious sense of "elitism" (and man, that shouldn't ever be an epithet) from Seattle fans, only the standard hurt that happens when a city loses, or might lose, a team. Nothing more than I get from Devil Ray fans whenever that subject comes up.

I haven't a horse in this race - no particular love for Seattle, and I've never been to Oklahoma City. Basketball's not even my sport. But it seems obvious to me that, with the emails that have been leaked, Seattle wasn't treated with anything approaching honesty by the Sonics' new owners or by the NBA. So I can understand a little frustration on their end.

Now, does that mean Oklahoma City shouldn't get a team? Not at all. They did well by the Hornets in those games, and the NBA is traditionally a mid-market league. So yes, to my mind there seems ample evidence that the NBA should put a team there, just as there is ample evidence that it shouldn't be the Sonics.

Well said. Sums it up perfectly. Seems in a perfect world, the NBA should simply have the Hornets and Sonics trade owners, and have the Sonics stay in Seattle under Shinn and have the Hornets move back to OKC under Bennett. Yes I know that the Hornets are doing better in NOL now but I think most would agree that short of an amazing season like the current one, they aren't going to be able to survive there.

Seems in a perfect world, the NBA should simply have the Hornets and Sonics trade owners, and have the Sonics stay in Seattle under Shinn and have the Hornets move back to OKC under Bennett.

No.

Why would Shinn, as owner of the franchise with a profitable lease agreement, up-to-date arena, and growing/"arrived" fan support move to a lesser, obsolete arena and terrible lease?

Why should Shinn have to leave his new home (and that of his children, a couple of whom work with him in the organization) and move more than halfway across the country to a different city?

Yes I know that the Hornets are doing better in NOL now but I think most would agree that short of an amazing season like the current one, they aren't going to be able to survive there.

Quit relying on message boards, talking heads and pundits. "Most would agree" that the Hornets were going to lose in Round 1 against the more experienced Mavericks. "Most would agree" that the reigning champion Spurs were going to easily handle the Hornets.

And if you go back not only on these boards but also on other boards and blogs, in September of 2005, "most would agree" that the Saints were never coming back to New Orleans, that the Superdome would be razed, and that New Orleans would never recover from Katrina and would be abandoned.

Thankfully, what bloggers, pundits and board posters "most agree" on does NOT determine the fate of sports franchises and cities.

Finally, if I have not stated this before, let me state it now: The fate of the Sonics franchise vis-a-vis their possible relocation to Oklahoma City is not and should not be tied in with the New Orlean Hornets.. If Katrina had never happened, and the Hornets had never played there for two seasons, Schultz STILL would have had the team for sale, and Bennett STILL would have bought the team, and STILL would have done what he has done regarding the move. If the Seattle powers that be would have (a) found a local ownership group committed to staying and (b ) spent the money to create a better arena/lease situation, Bennett would be looking elsewhere for a team with a bad, short-term lease and an owner willing to sell.

It is what it is.

The fate of the Sonics franchise vis-a-vis their possible relocation to Oklahoma City is not and should not be tied in with the New Orlean Hornets.

I agree.

New Orleans is fine. No need to move the Hornets.

If the NBA wants to give OKC a team, then perhaps it's time to look at expansion.

Haven't seen much in the way of pr0n the last decade or so, have you? :D

isn't that the one with Dick Gushes? nah i'm thinking of the Rough Riders Chronicles and the Butte Dusters perfect score. ^_^

in seriousness, how about Oklahoma City Natives? in reference to the native american culture there. i'm sure they could do a non-offensive logo that wouldn't upset them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

My problem with this line of thinking about the team name is that Oklahoma actually has relatively little old West history. There was some cattle-trail activity and all, but as far as our stereotypes of the old West go, Oklahoma is practically a hole in the map until the frontier was pretty much settled.

Given Oklahoma's status as home to many native tribes, and having existed under at least six different national governments, I'd be more inclined to go with something like the Sovereigns. Or the Okies. I'd lean toward using Western colors and iconography, but I'd try to keep the name a bit more current.

Good information. I didn't really know too much about the state's history, and for some idiot reason I thought of it as an outlaw/Old West location because of the gunfight at the OK Corral.... Which, I now know, happened in Arizona. :lol:

I don't like the sound of the names you suggested, though, because they just don't seem modern or professional to me (besides maybe the Riders).

I'd want more of a ferocious-sounding name if I were an OKC fan. Maybe they could cheat Seattle and keep the airplane imagery, but change the logo to a B-2 or something and call the team the Oklahoma Bombers.

Reading up on the state, I found out that they've got a lot of coyotes there. Why not the Oklahoma City Coyotes? I know there's already a hockey team with that name, but it's pretty hard to be unique these days, without sounding goofy or minor league.

Edit: Somebody came up with the name Oklahoma Bandits a few posts up. I think that would be an awesome name!

Archived