What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

So it's pretty much a Ravens/Browns situation, right?

Except Seattle's not getting a team in the near future.

EDIT-although I wonder how "relevant" the Sonics' moniker really is for Boeingopolis when it honors a plane that was cancelled.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

--------------------------------

That's coz Seattle already has a team...How about people wait until the franchise is actually IN OKC before coming up with names...there's still a lot of court cases left, including the one with Schultz that has some pretty strong legs. There's still a long ways to go, especially since the city is probably going to win the case and the Sonics will have to be in Seattle for another two years...that's a lot of time to come up with a solution...

After the way that Stern and Bennett have come out as total liars and complete arrogant and smug as*holes, the LEAST they can do IF this franchise leaves is by leaving the records, history, and name with Seattle. That DOES NOT belong in OKC. OKC DOES NOT deserve to have anything to do with the 1979 championship and the times the Sonics have won the division.

So, how about waiting until the team is actually in OKC to annoint some generic nickname.

That's coz Seattle already has a team...How about people wait until the franchise is actually IN OKC before coming up with names...there's still a lot of court cases left, including the one with Schultz that has some pretty strong legs. There's still a long ways to go, especially since the city is probably going to win the case and the Sonics will have to be in Seattle for another two years...that's a lot of time to come up with a solution...

It's called "the Sonics leave when the lease expires in 2010." The language in the Schultz case is too ambiguous, and probably would set some dangerous legal precedents for the future (what? you mean there are other court cases?!).

After the way that Stern and Bennett have come out as total liars and complete arrogant and smug as*holes, the LEAST they can do IF this franchise leaves is by leaving the records, history, and name with Seattle. That DOES NOT belong in OKC. OKC DOES NOT deserve to have anything to do with the 1979 championship and the times the Sonics have won the division.

The same way Sacramento doesn't deserve what happened in KC/Cincy/Rochester, Golden State in Philly, the Lakers in Minneapolis, the Clippers in San Diego, the Rams in Los Angeles and Cleveland, the Colts in Baltimore, the Flames in Atlanta, etc... :rolleyes:

Things like this happen. Get over yourself. You aren't the first to have this happen to you; you will not be the last.

So, how about waiting until the team is actually in OKC to annoint some generic nickname.

We can wait for two years.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is a thread where people can freely express their suggestions for a name for the potential Oklahoma City team (cuz even though Seattle may still have them and the court cases are pending, there's still the really good chance they will be in OKC), so there's no harm in doing so.

If I'm not mistaken the NBA has rules in place so that the name of the club will stay the same after relocation for a given number of years. The Grizzlies kept their name after the move to Memphis in 2001. They even kept the name after a vote with the fans about a new name when the logo change came around. So the Sonics will keep the name for a few years after the move.

If the NBA does have rules like that, WHY?

The only possible explanation I can think of is that if a team relocates and keeps the same nickname for a few years they'll get to sell more merch when they eventually change the nickname. Either that or the NBA thinks they can keep the fans in the former city loyal just by avoiding a name change.

cyclone or tornado related name might upset those who have had whole sale communities destroyed by tornados. It would be like renaming the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Hurricanes, which would be totally inappropriate.

Miami's college team is still the hurricanes, isn't it? Several hurricanes have hit there. Hurricane Andrew...

Bill813.png

This is a thread where people can freely express their suggestions for a name for the potential Oklahoma City team (cuz even though Seattle may still have them and the court cases are pending, there's still the really good chance they will be in OKC), so there's no harm in doing so.

Agreed.

Personally, I think the NBA's handling of this situation has been shameful, and I really hope like hell that Schultz's lawsuit is successful.

But there's no reason we need to let that get in the way of discussing names for a potentional NBA franchise in Oklahoma City.

If I'm not mistaken the NBA has rules in place so that the name of the club will stay the same after relocation for a given number of years. The Grizzlies kept their name after the move to Memphis in 2001. They even kept the name after a vote with the fans about a new name when the logo change came around. So the Sonics will keep the name for a few years after the move.

There have already been a number of articles written how the "SuperSonics" name will most likely stay in Seattle - in the case of a new expansion team or something along those lines.

I don't think that there is any way "Sonics" goes to OKC with the franchise.

I would love for a professional sports league to put into writing rules that say teams that move MUST change their nickname. It would be revolutionary and a nod to the fans in cities that support teams for years only to have them ripped away.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but it seems that more often than not, teams that move only lack support because the organizations have been run into the ground and/or a greedy owner wants a bigger hand out from a city. Either way, it's not the fans fault and they should get to at least keep their team name/history.

In addition, I would think that if it were me owning and moving a team, I'd want a fresh name that the new city could call their own rather than a hand me down. I mean, are there really any fans in Utah that feel a true, honest connection to the name Jazz? I would bet that if they could go back in time to when the move took place, they would overwhelmingly pick a name that was more representative of their city/surroundings.

I'd like to hear from people in Oklahoma to see what they think. Do they really want to constantly have their team referred to as the Seattle Son... um I mean Oklahoma City Sonics? I still mistakenly say Baltimore Colts, St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams and those moves happened many years ago.

It's called "the Sonics leave when the lease expires in 2010." The language in the Schultz case is too ambiguous, and probably would set some dangerous legal precedents for the future (what? you mean there are other court cases?!).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll wait for the judge in the trial with howard schultz to determine whether or not the case is "ambiguous" or not -- not you.

And what's happening now to the Sonics sets some very dangerous precendents for other, long term, very well supported markets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same way Sacramento doesn't deserve what happened in KC/Cincy/Rochester, Golden State in Philly, the Lakers in Minneapolis, the Clippers in San Diego, the Rams in Los Angeles and Cleveland, the Colts in Baltimore, the Flames in Atlanta, etc... :rolleyes:

Things like this happen. Get over yourself. You aren't the first to have this happen to you; you will not be the last.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely dont have to get over myself -- not at all. Why should any Sonics fans or fans of sports that recognize that this whole deal is wrong, HAVE to get over themselves because of this situation?

I'm sorry that this happened to other markets, but just because it has, doesn't mean that Seattle Sonics fans should just lay down and accept this. I'd rather go down fighting than accepting and there's no reasonable explanation why, right now when the Sonics are still here, anyone has to get over themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can wait for two years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great idea! Let's see if it actually happens.

Team names:

Oklahoma City Stallions (Mustangs, or other horses)

Oklahoma City Blaze? (Suggests heat)

Oklahoma City Cowboys. Don't start saying that law suits will be crazy; UTA tried to do the same when thee Mavericks came in, and UTA LOST!

Team colors:

Red-Black-Silver

Red-Orange-Black

Maroon-Grey-Black

Team names:

Oklahoma City Cowboys. Don't start saying that law suits will be crazy; UTA tried to do the same when thee Mavericks came in, and UTA LOST!

Team colors:

Red-Black-Silver

Red-Orange-Black

Maroon-Grey-Black

Yeah, but UTA isn't the Dallas Cowboys.

I'd like to hear from people in Oklahoma to see what they think. Do they really want to constantly have their team referred to as the Seattle Son... um I mean Oklahoma City Sonics? I still mistakenly say Baltimore Colts, St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams and those moves happened many years ago.

In fact, they still say St. Louis Cardinals in the newspaper, on Sportscenter, even on MLB.com. What did they change their name to??

:wink2:

In fact, they still say St. Louis Cardinals in the newspaper, on Sportscenter, even on MLB.com. What did they change their name to??

St. Louis Browns.

Team names:

Team colors:

Red-Black-Silver

Red-Orange-Black

Maroon-Grey-Black

Yes, but neither is Oklahoma State. Out of state will give the Dallas Cowboys NO CHANCE at stopping them.

Team names:

Team colors:

Red-Black-Silver

Red-Orange-Black

Maroon-Grey-Black

Yes, but neither is Oklahoma State. Out of state will give the Dallas Cowboys NO CHANCE at stopping them.

True that. Hadn't thought about Ok St. Still, I don't think they'll wanna show favoritism for one school over the other. (OSU over OU)

St. Louis Browns.

I think he was referring to the "Big Red Dead" Cardinals.

BTW...Just call the University of Texas-Austin "Texas" like the rest of us. Saves a lot of confusion.

Today, we are all otaku.

St. Louis Browns.

BTW...Just call the University of Texas-Austin "Texas" like the rest of us. Saves a lot of confusion.

I think he's referring to UT-Arlington, which are the Mavericks.

LvZYtbZ.png

St. Louis Browns.

I think he means the University of Texas at Arlington Mavericks. Darn you, Will! :cursing:

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived