Sign in to follow this  
dbackdiehard17

What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

I would love for a professional sports league to put into writing rules that say teams that move MUST change their nickname.

No kidding...can you imagine if the WFL's Shreveport Steamer moved to Cleveland and became the Cleveland Steamer? :blink:

MOD EDIT - By now, most have us have been educated as to the meaning behind the "Cleveland Steamer" sobriquet. Those who haven't - and truly feel compelled to find out more - can look it up on their own. The link is gratuitous.

how bout the Oklahoma Twisters with a burndt orange and burndt red with a little black and grey.

It's B-U-R-N-T. There's no D. And two "burnt" shades of colors that are kinda similar is a bit much. I still think a Maroon and Vegas Gold or Tan would be a unique look for the NBA.

Change that maroon to a somewhat brighter, but still highly saturated, shade of brick red, as with the Astros or D-Backs, and I think you've picked the winner. Right name, right colors. The only thing I'd add is to set the identity within a general Old West aesthetic.

Also, maybe a highlight color of very dark brown (instead of black) where needed for contrast.

Oklahoma City Earthquakes is not out of the question. The city sits on the Nemaha Formation, which like to uncorks from time to time, including a 5.5 in 1952 that left a crack in the state capitol building 15 meters long.

Oklahoma City Earthquakes is not out of the question. The city sits on the Nemaha Formation, which like to uncorks from time to time, including a 5.5 in 1952 that left a crack in the state capitol building 15 meters long.

Yeah, but Tornadoes are definately more prominent and synonomous with the region.

Yeah, but Tornadoes are definately more prominent and synonomous with the region.

Oh sure, just tossing it out there... As much as I like the idea of a cyclonic-named team (I went to OU to get a meteorology degree and was a pretty active chaser until about five years ago), I know that it's very difficult to successfully pull off conceptually... so at the end of the day I'd favor a western theme. I still would like to see a return of the 89ers.

I think the Tri-City Dust Devils have a good mascot logo:

TriCities.gif

Oklahoma City Boomers

colors: red, rust, tan or sand, black, and white though these could be changed

Why Boomers?

From Oklahoma's Netstate page ( http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/ok_intro.htm )

Boomer's Paradise: The terms "Boom" and "Boomer" were first used by Dr. Morrison Munford in the Kansas City Times in reference to the effort to establish settlements in the "Unassigned Lands" and to the people involved in those efforts. Promoting the "Boomer's Paradise," early advocates of settlement in the Unassigned Lands began what is referred to as the "Boomer Movement." The Boomer Movement was initiated before the Unasigned Lands were legally opened for settlement.

Early Boomers included James Madison Bell a Cherokee, who tried to settle in the Cherokee Outlet and Kansas and Missouri settlers, organized by Kansan Colonel Charles C. Carpenter, who entered Indian Territory and tried to settle along the North Canadian River. These Boomers were evicted by U.S. Troops.

In 1880, David Lewis Payne led a party of 21 settlers to the south bank of the North Canadian River and laid out a town called Ewing. They were removed by the U.S. Fourth Calvary. Payne continued to flaunt the government's proclamation forbidding unlawful entry into Indian Territory and returned to Ewing with a larger group of settlers. Judge Isaac Parker levied a $1,000 fine against the Boomer leader for his second intrusion. Mr. Payne's arrest seemed to make him more popular and he continued to guide Boomers into the forbidden territory.

When David Lewis Payne died suddenly, of a heart attack, in 1884, his lieutenant, William L. Couch, assumed leadership of the Boomer Movement and lead four more excursions into the Oklahoma territory. Again and again the Boomers were arrested and expelled from the area. Illegal intrusions by Mr. Couch ended in 1885.

The Boomer Movement gained new momentum in 1886 and 1887 when the Santa Fe Railroad constructed a line that ran from Arkansas City, Kansas to Gainesville, Texas right through the Unassigned Lands. At this time political pressure was exerted to open up the Unassigned Lands to settlement. In 1889 an amendment to the Indian Appropriations Bill allowed President Benjamin Harrison to proclaim the Unassigned Lands open for settlement.

Oklahoma City Boomers

Why Boomers?

From Oklahoma's Netstate page ( http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/ok_intro.htm )

Boomer's Paradise: The terms "Boom" and "Boomer" were first used by Dr. Morrison Munford in the Kansas City Times in reference to the effort to establish settlements in the "Unassigned Lands" and to the people involved in those efforts. Promoting the "Boomer's Paradise," early advocates of settlement in the Unassigned Lands began what is referred to as the "Boomer Movement." The Boomer Movement was initiated before the Unasigned Lands were legally opened for settlement.

Early Boomers included James Madison Bell a Cherokee, who tried to settle in the Cherokee Outlet and Kansas and Missouri settlers, organized by Kansan Colonel Charles C. Carpenter, who entered Indian Territory and tried to settle along the North Canadian River. These Boomers were evicted by U.S. Troops.

In 1880, David Lewis Payne led a party of 21 settlers to the south bank of the North Canadian River and laid out a town called Ewing. They were removed by the U.S. Fourth Calvary. Payne continued to flaunt the government's proclamation forbidding unlawful entry into Indian Territory and returned to Ewing with a larger group of settlers. Judge Isaac Parker levied a $1,000 fine against the Boomer leader for his second intrusion. Mr. Payne's arrest seemed to make him more popular and he continued to guide Boomers into the forbidden territory.

When David Lewis Payne died suddenly, of a heart attack, in 1884, his lieutenant, William L. Couch, assumed leadership of the Boomer Movement and lead four more excursions into the Oklahoma territory. Again and again the Boomers were arrested and expelled from the area. Illegal intrusions by Mr. Couch ended in 1885.

The Boomer Movement gained new momentum in 1886 and 1887 when the Santa Fe Railroad constructed a line that ran from Arkansas City, Kansas to Gainesville, Texas right through the Unassigned Lands. At this time political pressure was exerted to open up the Unassigned Lands to settlement. In 1889 an amendment to the Indian Appropriations Bill allowed President Benjamin Harrison to proclaim the Unassigned Lands open for settlement.

I don't know. Sounds awfully close to Bombers.

Grow a pair and get over it.

You made your point. There was no reason to delve into the realm of personal attack to hammer it home. A bit of civility in the future would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Except the football team started as the Chicago Cardinals.

To be even more specific, the team started as the Morgan Athletic Club, became the Normals, and first adopted its avian nickname as the Racine Cardinals... all before becoming the Chicago Cardinals.

Oklahoma City Drillers

Oklahoma City Outlaws

Oklahoma City Roughnecks

Oklahoma City Rustlers

Oklahoma City Slickers

Oklahoma City Stampede

Oklahoma City Wranglers

Oklahoma City Drillers

Oklahoma City Outlaws

Oklahoma City Roughnecks

Oklahoma City Rustlers

Oklahoma City Slickers

Oklahoma City Stampede

Oklahoma City Wranglers

Drillers is my favorite by far, but I just don't know how well of a response they'll get from the Tulsa Drillers of the Texas League (Double-A Minor League Baseball). If there's no issue there, I think that's a winner. While I like the idea of bringing back the 89ers moniker from the Triple-A team, I think it'd be a bit awkward having a team called the 76ers and one called the 89ers in the same league.

I think you have to be sensitive, but only to a point. For example, it wouldn't be prudent to call a new New Orleans franchise the Hurricanes, the Katrinas, the Federal Assistance, or anything else related to the 2005 disaster. Maybe in 15 years (which is like you PBLA example), but it's too fresh right now.... There is a lot of pride in survival, and for regions that historically survive bad weather patterns, those types of regional sports names can be great.

As I pointed out in a roughly year-old thread (High School Mascot Mergers), for the 2006-2007 school year, three former high schools in Plaquemines Parish, LA that were hard hit by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Port Sulphur, Boothville-Venice, and Buras) were merged into one school, South Plaquemines High. Rather then keep one of the previous nicknames (Bronchos, Oilers or Wildcats) the kids chose a new name reflecting why they were put together in the first place-- "Hurricanes".

As you say, DG, lots of pride in survival, and it clearly wasn't too early for them to adopt that name.

(By the way, in a feel-good story, the football team won the state championship in their division this past year (2007). And the athletic teams logo badly rips off the Carolina Hurricanes' logo, as seen in this drawing which honors the 3 previous mascots coming together):

homecoming.JPG

Good story..... Strange that they'd use that particular hurricane logo, since it's the only one I know of with a hockey puck in it.

Oklahoma City Boomers

colors: red, rust, tan or sand, black, and white though these could be changed....

Wouldn't that tie them in a little too much with the OU Sooners? I wouldn't think they'd want to be seen as allying with OSU or OU.

The more I read this, the more I lean toward Outlaws or Wranglers. Both have an A-List feel to them, compared to others that could too easily lend themselves toward a minor-league cartoonishness.

That is, of course, that the preference of ownership would be to lean toward an Old West theme.

There is also a whole course of aviation-related names that would be appropriate. Oklahoma has a nearly $12 billion and growing aerospace industry.

The more I read this, the more I lean toward Outlaws or Wranglers. Both have an A-List feel to them, compared to others that could too easily lend themselves toward a minor-league cartoonishness.

That is, of course, that the preference of ownership would be to lean toward an Old West theme.

There is also a whole course of aviation-related names that would be appropriate. Oklahoma has a nearly $12 billion and growing aerospace industry.

You mean like Sonics? Of course, two of Oklahoma's most famous sons (Will Rogers and Wiley Post) went down in a plane crash...

Oklahoma Ham Fighters

You're probably aware of this, but the name of the team is simply "Fighters." Nippon Ham is the sponsor.

Yes, but Oklahoma Fighters has no comedic value at all.

Oklahoma City Boomers

Why Boomers?

I don't know. Sounds awfully close to Bombers.
You know, Bombers would work as a nickname... just not in Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City Hornets
I absolutely dont have to get over myself -- not at all. Why should any Sonics fans or fans of sports that recognize that this whole deal is wrong, HAVE to get over themselves because of this situation?

I'm sorry that this happened to other markets, but just because it has, doesn't mean that Seattle Sonics fans should just lay down and accept this. I'd rather go down fighting than accepting and there's no reasonable explanation why, right now when the Sonics are still here, anyone has to get over themselves.

:rolleyes: