New york knicks question...

Like my subject stated.  I found a black and white photo of an NBA game, and there's a player shooting or rebounding, and beside him is Patrick Ewing in older Knicks uniform, but then I looked down and on the shorts there's a Yankees "NY" logo, it's definately the Yank's "NY" compared just to check.  The photo had no date, or I'd already reasearched it.  

Anyways I was just wondering was this a secondary or a temporary logo of some sort?  Anybody ever heard of it?  If this is been talked about, I'll settle for a link to the thread, and I apologize for the re-post of the subject.  Anyways, hope to hear something about this odd logo.

NewWCRSig.gif

They wore it even longer then that I can recall it being on the shorts till around 1992. They even sould Knicks Jackets with it. It almost looked like the Mets and Yanks mereged on the jackets since it was blue and orange.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There's an interesting story about that logo. It was designed by the Tiffany company in the 20's not as a sports logo but as a medal given to the families of police officers killed in the line of duty. The yankees started wearing it as a tribute to those men and then just decided to keep it. So I think anyone can actally use it becuse it's a new york logo, not a new york yankees logo. I guess the knicks just realized that people would always see it as a yankees logo now, so they ditched it.

It goes back to 1877 actually for the first NYC cop killed on duty they have a little plaque at Yankee Stadium telling the story it is also in a Yankee media guide I have.

I put the exact wording on my Yankees page in fact.

The Interlocking NY is the most famous insignia in sports. The NY first made its appearance on the Highlanders sleeves, and caps in 1909. Eventually it would find a permanent home of prominence on the front of the Yankees uniform, while still standing proud on the navy blue caps. The interlocking design was actually designed in 1877 by Louis B. Tiffany for NYPD officer John McDowell, the first New York police officer shot in the line of duty. The logo was chosen by one of the Highlanders original owners; Bill Devery was a former police chief.

NY Yankees

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

yeah that sounds more correct. I heard it on the stadium tour and forgot the specifics. What I always wondered and forgot to ask the tour guide, do the Yankees own it now. Or is that logo somehow owned by the city of New York. I live here and I've seen it a few places, but did the Yankees actually copyright it.

The Knicks had the "NY" logo on their shorts in the Navy Blue-and-Burgundy years (1979-1980 through 1982-1983)...I've got some pics somewhere - I'll look for them.

Here's the best two I could find:

Patrick Ewing 1986

Kenny "Sky" Walker 1990 Slam Dunk Contest

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

This is merely a guess, but I am thinking when the Knick logo went from old_knicks_sm.gif to knicks_logo.gif, the interlocking NY was replaced with the new Knick logo on the left leg of the uniform shorts. Also the number disappeared from the right leg.

And check out the Micheal Ray Richardson warmup ...

history_micheal_ray.jpg

Did the old Knick logo ever make it onto their uniforms? Doesn't seem like it did.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Im not sure if the old logo was on their at one tme and removed off hand, but I can tell you that when they changed logos in 1991 or so that's when they got rid of the interlocking NY.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived