The Most Inappropriately Named Sports Teams

Sabrejeff

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Toronto, I've heard that Jurassic Park explanation a ton of times, but was that really that big of an influence? I mean, I don't know if any officials would acknowledge that reason, but I thought archaeologists actually found some velociraptor fossils around Toronto around the time the team was being set up. Maybe I'm just recalling it incorrectly then, it's been a long time since I watched the TV revealing of the Canadian teams.

Maxim needs to stick to subjects they are familiar with like faux-nude pics of hot chicks and stay away from sports all together.

<_<

Agreed. Not only are the "jokes" useless, it's as if whoever was writing the article realised how embarrasing it was and gave up halfway through.

The single most impossible name are the New Jersey Lady Stallions, a former soccer team in the Umbro W-League.

Think about it for a moment.

There's a bunch of jokes in there...but I'm not touching them with a 20 foot pole...

No need to get myself in trouble...

Also, Flames still kind of works in Calgary because of Alberta's oil...the same reason Edmonton has the Oilers...

But yeah, dumb, pointless, etc. article...I wasted 90 seconds of my life on that one...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

For Toronto, I've heard that Jurassic Park explanation a ton of times, but was that really that big of an influence? I mean, I don't know if any officials would acknowledge that reason, but I thought archaeologists actually found some velociraptor fossils around Toronto around the time the team was being set up. Maybe I'm just recalling it incorrectly then, it's been a long time since I watched the TV revealing of the Canadian teams.

You're mixing up the story of the Raptors name with the story of the Nashville Predators logo/name... Raptors was picked purely because of the Jurassic Park craze throughout 1993 (I believe the team was named in May 1994)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It's a fun list of some obvious names with some ludicrous change suggestions.

http://www.maximonline.com/Themostinapprop...es/1/24346.aspx

My favorite line: "Too bad the only things people dodge in L.A. are paparazzi, stable relationships, and food digestion."

I LOL'ed @ Pittsburg Spot Welders (its the steel city)

The Pirates got their name because a player was taken (or "pirated") away from another club in the league that he had signed with, I believe Philadelphia.

I was hoping to see my personal favourite inappropriate names: the Chicago Fire and the San Jose Earthquakes. What should be next in this series? The "New Orleans Hurricanes", perhaps?

Indeed, a cheeky English writer recently compared those two names to a hypothetical team called the "London Plague".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

You're mixing up the story of the Raptors name with the story of the Nashville Predators logo/name... Raptors was picked purely because of the Jurassic Park craze throughout 1993 (I believe the team was named in May 1994)

Ahhh okay. That clears things up. Geez, raptors really was a bad name then.

It's a fun list of some obvious names with some ludicrous change suggestions.

http://www.maximonline.com/Themostinapprop...es/1/24346.aspx

My favorite line: "Too bad the only things people dodge in L.A. are paparazzi, stable relationships, and food digestion."

I LOL'ed @ Pittsburg Spot Welders (its the steel city)

Yeah, unfortunately, spot welding is only good for sheet metal ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I was hoping to see my personal favourite inappropriate names: the Chicago Fire and the San Jose Earthquakes. What should be next in this series? The "New Orleans Hurricanes", perhaps?

Indeed, a cheeky English writer recently compared those two names to a hypothetical team called the "London Plague".

Oklahoma City Bombers.

Oklahoma City Bombers.

New York Crash

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Oklahoma City Bombers.

New York Crash

New York Jets...

....oh wait.... :blink:

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Oklahoma City Bombers.

New York Crash

New York Jets...

....oh wait.... :blink:

That's just wrong...

Of course, in 1963 playing next to LaGuardia, it seemed like a great idea...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived