The Most Inappropriately Named Sports Teams

Sabrejeff

The single most impossible name are the New Jersey Lady Stallions, a former soccer team in the Umbro W-League.

Think about it for a moment.

Nah. They're named after a bunch of horse-faced drag queens, something I'm sure New Jersey has in abundance. :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the pirates were indeed named that after a rival baseball league that signed a bunch of NL players folded and the players were to go back to their original national league teams but the pirates signed a player name Lou Bierbauer from philadelphia and philly said pittsburgh pirated him and theyve been the pirates ever since

also even though the hockey team came first flames sort of fits calgary now since they did host the winter olympics in 88 so there is a far-reaching connection even if it happened backwards

The single most impossible name are the New Jersey Lady Stallions, a former soccer team in the Umbro W-League.

Think about it for a moment.

for some odd reason I was thinking about the Lone Rangers when you said that:

airheads2017cce5a0yv5.jpg

Ahhh okay. That clears things up. Geez, raptors really was a bad name then.

Wasn't the first choice though, Mounties was. But they couldn't get a copy right on it, as I guess it would be like calling your team the New York Police.

untitled-6.jpg

Ahhh okay. That clears things up. Geez, raptors really was a bad name then.

Wasn't the first choice though, Mounties was. But they couldn't get a copy right on it, as I guess it would be like calling your team the New York Police.

Actually, it was Vancouver, not Toronto, that wanted the "Mounties"

I saw, I came, I left.

Imagine the names Major League Baseball would have if MLB had gone the way of the NBA.

The Minnesota Nationals.

The Texas Senators.

The Baltimore Browns.

The Milwaukee Pilots.

The Washington Expos

Actually, that would have been the Baltimore Brewers. :D

And FWIW, the Twins would be the Senators - the Griffiths had already given up the ghost and adopted that name full-time before the move. Don't know what the expansion team that eventually moved to Texas would have been called, but under the NBA playbook they wouldn't have been the Senators.

I kind of like names like the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Pirates, because at least there's some backstory there and a bit of history. But for the most part any team that is transplanted (Jazz, Lakers, Grizzlies) just makes no sense.

By the way, has an NBA team ever changed their name after a move? I know the Bullets did, but they didn't move. And the Rochester Royals did, but that was just to avoid confusion with the baseball team.

I kind of like names like the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Pirates, because at least there's some backstory there and a bit of history. But for the most part any team that is transplanted (Jazz, Lakers, Grizzlies) just makes no sense.

By the way, has an NBA team ever changed their name after a move? I know the Bullets did, but they didn't move. And the Rochester Royals did, but that was just to avoid confusion with the baseball team.

Syracuse Nationals -> Philadelphia Warriors

Buffalo Braves -> San Diego Clippers

I'm sure there's more.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Buffalo Braves -> San Diego Clippers

I'm sure there's more.

Dallas Chaps-> San Antonio Spurs

NJ Americans-> NY Nets

Chicago Zephyrs-> Baltimore Bullets

Seattle Supersonics-> ???

One more:

Tri-Cities Blackhawks-> Milwaukee Hawks

Actually, it was the Cincinnati Royals changing to the Kansas-City Omaha Kings. The Americans-> Nets and Dallas Chapparals-> San Antonio Spurs move/changes actually occurred during their ABA tenure (as did the Denver Rockets changing their name to the Denver Nuggets).

It is what it is.

The Nationals are the 76ers. The Philadelphia Warriors became the SF / Golden State Warriors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived