The Most Inappropriately Named Sports Teams

Sabrejeff

Well, seeing as how this is the magazine where in their "worst sports uniforms ever" article listed the current Bengals' uniforms as being from the '80s and calling the infamous "V" uniforms of the Canucks "brown and orange," any article they publish on sports is automatically discredited.

Heck, I'm shocked for this that they didn't throw in any college team named after Greeks or European barbarians. After all, since when does LA have Trojans, East Lansing have Spartans, or Moscow, Idaho have Vandals not possessing spray paint?

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix has a couple of teams that could have made the list. There's the Cardinals, of course (another bad transplanted name). There's also the Coyotes; as I've pointed out before, that name has rather unfortunate connotations in the Southwestern states (where it's slang for illegal-immigrant smugglers).

CCSLC signature.png

Phoenix has a couple of teams that could have made the list. There's the Cardinals, of course (another bad transplanted name). There's also the Coyotes; as I've pointed out before, that name has rather unfortunate connotations in the Southwestern states (where it's slang for illegal-immigrant smugglers).

I always got a chuckle out of the fact that in Phoenix the Coyotes displaced the Roadrunners...

Ahhh okay. That clears things up. Geez, raptors really was a bad name then.

Wasn't the first choice though, Mounties was. But they couldn't get a copy right on it, as I guess it would be like calling your team the New York Police.

Actually, it was Vancouver, not Toronto, that wanted the "Mounties"

There are no Mounties in Toronto or in the East. Mounties are more of a Western Canada thing

I don't. The actual animal is common in Arizona. Plus, it was one of the most popular rejected names for the Diamondbacks.

Wasn't the first choice though, Mounties was. But they couldn't get a copy right on it, as I guess it would be like calling your team the New York Police.

There are no Mounties in Toronto or in the East. Mounties are more of a Western Canada thing

Shhhh. Don't tell my neighbour or my best friend. They both think they're Mounties.

Don't know how they missed the Birmingham Baraccudas. How they came up with a fish name for a land-locked team is beyond me. Yeah, when I hear "Birmingham", I think "ocean".

That was just the beginning of the 1-year distaster. The logo was horrible. Didn't think it could get worse...but then, they unveiled the unis. OMG. Still makes me want to hurl.

There are mounties all over the country, they're a national police force. Probably less prevalent in Quebec and Ontario since those provinces both have provincial police forces, and the RCMP dont act as a municipal force as much in those two provinces.

I remember when Vancouver was awarded the NBA franchise, there was a fair amount of speculation that they were going to try and get the name "Vancouver Voodoo" from the local RHI team. Which itself is one of the most geographically inappropriate names you could come up with.

Suggested New Name: The Los Angeles Bryants (suggested by Kobe Bryant)

Funny, my friend and I have actually referred to them as the Los Angeles Kobes since Shaq left for Miami.

Before this eastern conference playoffs, I often used the names "The Cleveland LeBrons" and "The Cleveland Cavalier", boy was I wrong...

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived