Why I charge what I charge

iDonovan

Of course it was sarcastic. I would have said "my new professional team", but who would believe I have one of those? :P

I would. And because it's the ABA, I wouldn't even blink an eye over the fact that the gorilla is wearing a helmet and the word "HOCKEY" is in there.

I was just mad at his whole me trying rip him off, and how I was just some money grabbing jerk.

i put a lot into my designs and logo.

If its one thing I have learned if you are willing to lower your price, they got you. I use to play the poor starving artist and thats they way you stay if you do.

The funny part of designing stuff is when I do rough concepts. I can do two or three really cool concepts, and then do something in 10 minutes which I think is just crap. The crap is used to move them towards the design I want them to use....and 9 out 10 times when I show them all the concepts they pick the crap.

I think that is how art works all the time, honestly. Not only artwork, but anything personally done and sold by a person. You sell high and stick to it, you're gonna get the customers you want and they will pay- anyone who won't, doesn't matter. There is this one guy in Columbia, SC known as the "Chicken Man." He is a painter and has become pretty darn famous around the area. If you approached him in public, he would appear as either a sidewalk bum or not your average uppity painter...not very sharp-looking at all. He has an old clunker van with a pull-behind closed-in trailer that was made of wood and is painted all over the outside.

He takes old plywood slats and paints pictures on them...mostly chickens/humanoid figures. The artwork honestly doesn't look that great...I honestly know I could paint much better. Yet, it is original and he charges pretty big money from them...has charged big money from the get-go. Now, he is featured in magazines and his paintings are sold over the South in boutiques and he is probably super-rich...but still drives the clunker and parks in random intersections selling his paintings.

Example:

lee_funky.jpg

lee_ernest2.jpg

lee_ernest4.jpg

lee_ernest6.jpg

That is pretty speedy for getting something done in that detail. I guess with practice, that comes. Of course you didn't post the time in thinking about the design, noodling other ideas, talking to the client, etc. All that is likely a few more hours, bringing the per hour down quite a bit.

And besides, it's not like you are working in a "logo factory" 8 hours a day. There are slow days and ones where you have too much. It all has to even out, pay wise.

I was just mad at his whole me trying rip him off, and how I was just some money grabbing jerk.

i put a lot into my designs and logo.

If its one thing I have learned if you are willing to lower your price, they got you. I use to play the poor starving artist and thats they way you stay if you do.

The funny part of designing stuff is when I do rough concepts. I can do two or three really cool concepts, and then do something in 10 minutes which I think is just crap. The crap is used to move them towards the design I want them to use....and 9 out 10 times when I show them all the concepts they pick the crap.

Funny, I would have placed the odds at ten times out of ten. I've actually gravitated toward a system in which I only show two, maybe three pieces for a client, at the most, and sometimes even just one. I've spent too much time spinning my wheels on crappy versions of a logo that I won't ever put in my portfolio if I sell them. I will never again show a client something that I don't love simply because I don't want my name attached to something that I'm not intensely proud to display. I don't bend over backwards for clients anymore, either. Some people say that the client is always right, but I've abandoned that completely because it's b.s., and to me, putting out good work is more important than making money. On topic, though, 300-500 is a bargain for what you're doing. That's what I charge for my non-profit clients. I feel like I'm lowballing myself if I do a logo that cheap for a company that actually makes money.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wow you must be frekin' ricj charging that much for a logo, or freakin poor for that matter !

You're good but that's a lot of moolah for a logo !

If you relocate to LA you can charge 3-4 times that an hour....and thats "cheap". Its all perspective.

Archived