Sears Catalog pages with NFL stuff

neo_prankster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome find, prankster...

...interesting Browns logo on that sweatshirt...surely it's a generic logo...I've never seen it used before.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

OK...I'll admit it...I had the following NFL St. Louis Football Cardinals merchandise from those catalogs:

• Jersey
  • Cardigan
  • Jacket
  • Knit Cap
  • Belt Buckle
  • Sweatshirt
  • Sport Bag

I loved getting those catalogs...looked forward to them every year.

Man that brings back memories. I used to love looking through that stuff at Christmas. My parents got me the vibrating football game one year with the Rams/Steelers players. In fact, I just found the complete mini-helmet set I got from Sears in '80. Good times.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Wow, you know, we have really grown as a nation. Just look at those first few pages. That is the most homogeneous group of cherry-cheeked wholesome white kids I have ever seen. The only non-white images on any pages are some of the NFL player toys. Just goes to show how we used to see (or not see at all) the true nature of our population. Despite all the issues we still have with race, I am certainly glad we live in a culture today that at least tries to represent everyone instead of blatantly ignoring or hiding reality.

And I have to admit, when I was a kid we had a Sears outlet store near us, and I ended up getting 15 of the 28 NFL team replica jerseys there by the time I was in 8th grade. I refused to buy Oakland, Pittsburgh and Dallas because I hated those teams. I think I had almost all of them in dark except the St. Louis Cardinals, the Buccs and the Dolphins, which had white as their primary, at least in replicas.

I love the merchandising slogan: "NFL Happens".

One assumes the rejected slogans included: "Anything that can NFL, Will", "NFL Hits the Fan", and "No NFL, Sherlock".

(Though, interestingly enough, this catalog might actually predate the first use of "s--t happens" in print. Those marketing folks must have thought they were really clever.)

20082614447.png

My God, I feel like I'm 7 again.

IIRC, I had:

• Vikings helmet/jersey set (apparently all "Santa Claus" could get his hands on -- and I think it was No. 77 instead of 55).
  • Colts knit cap (but with a helmet profile instead of the kicking Colt).
  • Goalpost mini-helmet rack.
  • Colts wall clock.
  • Colts tie bar and cuff links (OK, they were really my dad's, but I think they're in my den now).
  • Set of helmet cars (I think the Bills one might still be in my basement).
  • Colts belt buckle.
  • Fuzzy football (but in blue and orange, because "Santa" couldn't find blue and white and somehow thought blue and orange was close enough).
  • NFL bedspread and curtains (the one in the second set shown, not the first set).
  • Colts helmet lamp signed by 1968 NFL MVP Earl Morrall (except it was made by my uncle from a real helmet, not bought out of a catalog).
  • World Champion Baltimore Colts pajamas (see image below, except I swear mine had a blue helmet with a white horseshoe -- and I may have the pics to prove it).

Damn, I had a lot of NFL crap back in the day. This doesn't even begin to count my Orioles stuff.

SearsWishbook.1971.P425%20-%20NFL%20PJs.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

screw the toys, those were the first pages i turned to in the JCPenny christmas catalogs when i was a kid. i had some rams jammies, but id kill for one of those hoodies today.

Ram jams?

He had

as a kid? Not bad.

EDIT: How come so much of the available merchandise from that 1975 catalog is sleepwear? That's kind of weird, isn't it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LOVE the Sears catalog! Nothing says "growing up in the 70's/80's" like the Sears catalog. My cousin and I used to go through it picking out toys we wanted for Christmas like we were archaeologists examining the Dead Sea Scrolls.

And Montgomery Wards had a nice catalog too.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

OK...I'll admit it...I had the following NFL St. Louis Football Cardinals merchandise from those catalogs:
  • Jersey
  • Cardigan
  • Jacket
  • Knit Cap
  • Belt Buckle
  • Sweatshirt
  • Sport Bag

I loved getting those catalogs...looked forward to them every year.

PANTONE, that's expected...from YOU, as your a Cardinals fan...

This is fantastic. I religiously read through every Sears catalog, particularly that section as well as the Atari 2600/5200 game section which always had screenshots of every game.

I had two of those Dallas jerseys - a white #12 and later an old-school blue road #11, both handed down from my older brother. Later on I had a Packers #31 (I don't even know who #31 was then... Jim Taylor would have been too old even 20+ years ago). Also had at least two or three of those 3/4 sleeve shirts (usually worn with Nike Cortez's in a matching color scheme).

Two Dallas helmets (which my parents still have in their basement somewhere), a Dallas jacket, a Houston Oilers stocking cap/beanie, Steelers gloves, several sets of pajamas, two of those figurines (one was Tony Dorsett and the other was a NY Jets player for some reason.... Richard Todd?).

Also had (and still have) most of those pennants, including the Oilers and LOS ANGELES Rams.

We had curtains and bedspreads (the ones in the 1979 Sears catalog), although ours must have been older because the Buccaneers and Seahawks were missing. For years I used to wonder why; I only found out later that they both started in 1976 (when I would have been a fetus).

screw the toys, those were the first pages i turned to in the JCPenny christmas catalogs when i was a kid. i had some rams jammies, but id kill for one of those hoodies today.

Ram jams?

Not to be confused with Alabama UberFan Nathan Davis, AKA Rammer Jammer...

rammerlammer.jpg

Yes, I know... the J on "Jammer" is backwards, making it look like an L. Thus some of us call him Rammer Lammer...

[/thread hijack]

Archived