Sears Catalog pages with NFL stuff

neo_prankster

Isn't it amazing the varity of different colors all the teams had. You can instantly tell what teams are what. Today all the teams seem to look alike as nearly everyone uses black or navy blue as a primary or secondary color. today you have to look close to see what teams are playing, not in the 70s-you new right off who the teams were.............

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a logo fan as long as I can remember.

Here's some stuff I had.

NFL8.pngNFL7.png

NFL5.pngNFL6.png

I still have the electric football set. My hockey set was actually from the year before and had different accessories, the best of which were two players riveted together at the base at a 90ΒΊ angle so you could pull your goalie and swap out your single center for a double.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I just had some weird 70's flashback. I had most of that stuff, mainly Broncos (I was a major Broncos fan in mid 70's). Looking at the PJ's I now realize what a spaz I must have looked like then. Does anyone know if any of the stuff seen is available to purchase anywhere?

WestchesterWildfire.GIF

What a great find this was. I too, like many of you, loved the NFL stuff in the Sears catalog and I would always flip forward to the NFL pages and just drool. I had many of the items there, including a Chargers and Rams beanie with the fluffy ball on top. I think I had a Dolphins one too. Had the shirts and pajamas, and also had the electric football set with the Dolphins-Cowboys 1971 Super Bowl theme. Also had the hockey game with the Bruins and Blackhawks, I remember we had a free day in 5th grade and I brought it to school. Great stuff.

I second the notion that perhaps this catalog was the flash-point for many of us when it comes to appreciating logos.

I second the notion that perhaps this catalog was the flash-point for many of us when it comes to appreciating logos.

I'd also put forth the notion that it was also the flashpoint for us discovering that they liked the way the ladies looked in their underpants.

We once scheduled a family vacation to Duluth, MN, so my brother could get some player sets for our electric football game directly from the sportscard place that specialized in them. He also bought a complete Topps 1961 Packers set that trip. Nothing to do with Sears, but as long as we're reminiscing...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The thing that gets me reading the table hockey copy is I could have gotten all the additional players from the entire league for $6! ALL of them. Why didn't I ask for those? :oops:

tinmen1.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• World Champion Baltimore Colts pajamas (see image below, except I swear mine had a blue helmet with a white horseshoe -- and I may have the pics to prove it).

Damn, I had a lot of NFL crap back in the day. This doesn't even begin to count my Orioles stuff.

Yes, I quoted myself (yet again). Anyway, last night I was looking through an album my mother put together for me and confirmed that my pajamas had a blue helmet with a white horseshoe. However, the way the album is set up, it would be a pain to take out the picture and scan it (not to mention you guys don't need to see a picture of 5-6 year old me). Therefore, you'll have to take my word for it.

Interestingly, right next to that picture was one of me at age 5 (or so) in a t-shirt with the seldom used Orioles logo with the swinging bird and black circle (see below)(followed by a few of me in a t-shirt that was supposed to be a replica Brooks Robinson jersey, circa 1972-73).

624.gif

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

The thing that gets me reading the table hockey copy is I could have gotten all the additional players from the entire league for $6! ALL of them. Why didn't I ask for those? :oops:

tinmen1.jpg

Are those players metal? Based on the path (tinmen1.jpg) it would seem that they are. My family lived in a rental house when I was a kid. In the basement was a spare room with a handwritten note that said "Stay Out! This means you!" I must have been six or seven at the time, so of course that was an automatic invitation in.

Anyway, among other crap I didn't care about (bolts, jars, and the like), was an old hockey set like that. It included all of the players from all of the teams, and each guy was made of metal. I didn't care at all about hockey then (the only team I knew existed was the Rochester Amerks), but I thought the set itself was nice. The player pieces had real weight to them -- I remember the canvas bag they were kept in being really heavy.

When we moved out of the place, we left the hockey set behind. It was probably the right thing to do -- and at that time I probably wasn't thinking about taking it -- but in hindsight, I wish I had. What a cool thing to have.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I still have my Oakland Raider jacket - black with the fake silver leather sleeves . . . and it is in absolute mint condition. I live in NY and drove my parents nuts to get it . . . back in the 70s when you could only get Jets, Giants, Cowboys and Steelers apparel. At the time, my brother and I were the only Raider fans in town . . . now there are too many to count. Oh those days of Kenny Stabler, Cliff Branch, Fred Balitnikoff (spelling), Jim Otto, Pete Banasak, Ted Hendricks, Ottis Sistrunk . . . now those were the real Raiders . . . I even have a banner from my room dated 1967.

Well the Raiders have changed and I'm now a frustrated Jets fan.

Great posts on this subject.

I still have my Oakland Raider jacket - black with the fake silver leather sleeves . . . and it is in absolute mint condition. I live in NY and drove my parents nuts to get it . . . back in the 70s when you could only get Jets, Giants, Cowboys and Steelers apparel. At the time, my brother and I were the only Raider fans in town . . . now there are too many to count. Oh those days of Kenny Stabler, Cliff Branch, Fred Balitnikoff (spelling), Jim Otto, Pete Banasak, Ted Hendricks, Ottis Sistrunk . . . now those were the real Raiders . . . I even have a banner from my room dated 1967.

Well the Raiders have changed and I'm now a frustrated Jets fan.

Great posts on this subject.

I remember when Jesse "The Body" Ventura would talk about those Raiders Teams when they were in L.A.. ("The REAL Raiders" as he would call them.) He would even say "That's when they were in Oakland before they moved to L.A. and became sissies."

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

tinmen1.jpg

Are those players metal? Based on the path (tinmen1.jpg) it would seem that they are. My family lived in a rental house when I was a kid. In the basement was a spare room with a handwritten note that said "Stay Out! This means you!" I must have been six or seven at the time, so of course that was an automatic invitation in.

Anyway, among other crap I didn't care about (bolts, jars, and the like), was an old hockey set like that. It included all of the players from all of the teams, and each guy was made of metal. I didn't care at all about hockey then (the only team I knew existed was the Rochester Amerks), but I thought the set itself was nice. The player pieces had real weight to them -- I remember the canvas bag they were kept in being really heavy.

When we moved out of the place, we left the hockey set behind. It was probably the right thing to do -- and at that time I probably wasn't thinking about taking it -- but in hindsight, I wish I had. What a cool thing to have.

I have one. I'm 20 years old, but when I was a little kid and we visited my Bachelor uncle all he had to do for a 7 year old was play with that hockey set complete with every team in the league at around the mid 70's. I liked it so much that he gave it to me one christmas, which now occurs to me that he probably didn't have any money to buy me something new. Anyways, I've had it for a long time. It was the first time I ever heard of the pittsburgh penguins wearing blue and I remember really liking the Islanders uniforms and subsequently grew up a quasi-Isles fan. If I ever get the whim I'll put it on Ebay. Right now it is still functional and my Dad and I play it in the basement whenever I'm home.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If I ever get the whim I'll put it on Ebay.

Why would you ever do that?

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

I've been a logo fan as long as I can remember.

Here's some stuff I had.

NFL8.png

What's that red/white logo (red blotchy thing on a white football) in the middle of that bedsheet above the Oilers logo? I can't make out what it is. Buffalo?

BTW, I've lived in Cleveland for a while and I've never seen that football player silhouette Browns logo (see page 1) before on anything, ever. Must be something the manufacturer made up.

NFL8.png

What's that red/white logo (red blotchy thing on a white football) in the middle of that bedsheet above the Oilers logo? I can't make out what it is. Buffalo?

BTW, I've lived in Cleveland for a while and I've never seen that football player silhouette Browns logo (see page 1) before on anything, ever. Must be something the manufacturer made up.

It is the Bills, but only for their AFL days. Around that time, I think they already phased in the logo they have now.

I remember the Wish Books so very well, and I too had many of these items, from the sweatshirts & matching wool caps w/the pom-pom thing on top, to the pennants, and the mini helmets that sat on the goal posts too. Between seeing all the colorful helmets and logos and my father watching the NFL, and us getting our first color tv back in 1974 (yes I am THAT old....41), that's what first got me into football. Dad explained down & distance to me, and I "got it" right away, and the love affair w/the game began. This time of year especially I get to missing my parents, mom died in June 2001, dad in July 1978, so seeing these old pictures makes me very very nostalgic. Whoever started this thread, I thank you from the bottom of my heart :)

With tears of reminiscence....

Bill

NFL8.png

It is the Bills, but only for their AFL days. Around that time, I think they already phased in the logo they have now.

Believe it or not, that Bills logo was still considered "official" as late as 1976:

BuffaloBills_SL_1972.jpg

I have a 1976 Style Guide that still has that puppy in there...

NFL8.png

Believe it or not, that Bills logo was still considered "official" as late as 1976:

BuffaloBills_SL_1972.jpg

I have a 1976 Style Guide that still has that puppy in there...

Then that means the other logos on that blanket must've still been official at the same time, right?

• 2 months later...

Archived