Sears Catalog pages with NFL stuff

neo_prankster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFL8.png

What's that red/white logo (red blotchy thing on a white football) in the middle of that bedsheet above the Oilers logo? I can't make out what it is. Buffalo?

BTW, I've lived in Cleveland for a while and I've never seen that football player silhouette Browns logo (see page 1) before on anything, ever. Must be something the manufacturer made up.

It is the Bills, but only for their AFL days. Around that time, I think they already phased in the logo they have now.

Believe it or not, that Bills logo was still considered "official" as late as 1976:

BuffaloBills_SL_1972.jpg

I have a 1976 Style Guide that still has that puppy in there...

That Bills logo certainly stood out, didn't it? As a kid, I found it a little cumbersome to draw, so focused only on the helmet's standing buffalo. Yet, there is something strangely endearing about that beast and player logo, I think. It's captivating. It doesn't meet today's marketing and merchandising standards (not in its style), of course, but much like the Giants' giant quarterback in the stadium logo, it reflects a time when sports branding wasn't necessarily dictated by potential sales. It's just fun; a game.

I don't think I've ever seen that Jets wordmark before. Cool pics.

I remember that one. In fact, if you look closely at the picture of the bedspread (which I once owned), it is on the right side about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom, between the Bears and Chargers logos (albeit upside down).

Off Topic -- Post No. 4000.

Nothing epic . . . just an average, blue collar post. It's just doing it's job of showing up at the ballpark every day. It never set out to make history . . . only to do the best it could each time out.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've never seen that stenciled wordmark for the Raiders before. Were the Bengals, Oilers, Giants, Jets and Cardinals all really wearing white home uniforms in 78? I thought the Jets didn't start that practice until some time in the 80s, and the Giants and Cards only did it when hosting the Cowboys.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

I've never seen that stenciled wordmark for the Raiders before. Were the Bengals, Oilers, Giants, Jets and Cardinals all really wearing white home uniforms in 78? I thought the Jets didn't start that practice until some time in the 80s, and the Giants and Cards only did it when hosting the Cowboys.

The Bengals wore white at home for a few games early in the season, and I know the Cardinals wore white for all of 1978 home games. Oilers, Giants, and Jets did not...although the Jets wore white against Seattle in 1978, and I assume that was just to show the home crowd their new road uniforms.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• 4 years later...

I bought some of the Sears Christmas Wish Books from the 1970s and early 80s on ebay a while back. It's a lot of fun looking back at them, but it would be a lot more fun if I could actually order some of the stuff I see. Any word on how they're coming along with that time travel thing?

I have the wishbook website saved to favorites. A couple of months ago someone thought the chalk line jackets came out in the 90s and I posted the pics from wishbook selling the style they were talking about in the 80s http://www.wishbookweb.com/

I got and still have the kids Football unis/helmets of the 49ers and Redskins. Colts, Oilers beanies. 3 pairs of football pants, 2 pairs of shoulder pads. Bears, 49ers huddles dolls. I've found a lot more from that era on e-bay and added to my collection

Beanies from the 88 catalog. Even though Paulie was wearing the Eagles version in Rocky IV when they arrive in USSR(1985)

DSC01793.jpg

Cliff Engle sweater & Huddles are in this one

DSC01796.jpg

Anybody else think the 1975 athletic jacket for the Broncos looks blue and red, not blue and orange?

One thing I didn't see; I think it came out later (and I think it actually was from Avon) was some kind of kid's after shave, "bracing lotion" I think they called it, that came in NFL-themed decanters. More or less shaped like the Lombardi trophy; the cap was the football atop (gold plastic), while the bottle (brown or black glass) had a flat front like the trophy, with an NFL team helmet decal in front.

I always thought the Broncos were blue and red back then. When the whole "Orange Crush" thing started in 1977, I wondered what the hell they were talking about because they had red and blue uniforms. I'm convinced they didn't lighten them to the later orange until after the "Orange Crush" era (though I don't have any proof except Floyd Little's pants).

EDIT: So I wasn't imagining things . . . and now I have proof (almost, anyway). To me, that color looks orange in name only. If I pulled that out of my crayon box, I would call it red.

Same here. I thought the Broncos wore red and blue until the "Orange Crush" Superbowl team. They looked red in all of my football cards and they were rarely on TV here in VA.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I had lots of the NFL stuff from Sears, as well, including the little helmet pins set. I stuck them on a piece of styrofoam board and kept the standings each week. Then late in the week I'd rearrange them to reflect that week's matchups. Fun times.

Also, I bought the entire set of full-sized NFL kids helmets from 1982 from a lady off ebay for $280 about ten years ago. None of them had ever been worn. I can't believe there are too many complete sets of these in existence.

OK...I'll admit it...I had the following NFL St. Louis Football Cardinals merchandise from those catalogs:

• Jersey
  • Cardigan
  • Jacket
  • Knit Cap
  • Belt Buckle
  • Sweatshirt
  • Sport Bag

I loved getting those catalogs...looked forward to them every year.

I would actually wear some of that now just because it'd be a conversation starter. I'd probably look like a hipster, but whatever.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived