Euro 2008 Austria-Switzerland

NEW.ERA

Tournament starts June 7th and ends June 29th, discuss the games and make predictions

Group A

Czech Republic

Portugal

Switzerland

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

France

Italy

Netherlands

Romania

Group D

Greece

Russia

Spain

Sweden

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Group C

France

Italy

Netherlands

Romania

Holy crap, that's the Group of Death by far. Jeez!

Oh well, I'm still hoping that the Oranje will make it through.

Group C

France

Italy

Netherlands

Romania

Holy crap, that's the Group of Death by far. Jeez!

Oh well, I'm still hoping that the Oranje will make it through.

Dude same

All of those teams have the chance to win, including Romania

Portugal, CR

Germany, who cares

Italy, Netherlands

Spain, Russia

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

My predictions (in bold, underlined winner)

Groups

Group A

Czech Republic

Portugal

Switzerland

Turkey

Group B

Austria (Simply because they're hosting it)

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

France

Italy

Netherlands

Romania

Group D

Greece

Russia

Spain

Sweden

Quarterfinals

Czech Republic

Austria

Germany

Portugal

Italy

Spain

Sweden

Netherlands

Semi-Finals

Czech Republic

Germany

Italy

Netherlands

Finals

Germany

Italy - Ew.

I can't wait International soccer is alot of fun to watch. I'm hoping Italy can carry their World Cup success to this tournament.

If they do they'll be only the 3rd team to do so

I can't wait International soccer is alot of fun to watch. I'm hoping Italy can carry their World Cup success to this tournament.

If they flop like they did in '06 skillfully play their way out of Group C, they'll have a damn good shot at winning it. It's been a trend that whoever comes out of the Group of Death ends up either winning the whole thing or at least making it to the final.

If they flop like they did in '06 skillfully play their way out of Group C, they'll have a damn good shot at winning it. It's been a trend that whoever comes out of the Group of Death ends up either winning the whole thing or at least making it to the final.

To be honest i really don't see them getting out of group c alive, France even without Zidane can still be dominant, the Netherlands seem to do well against

tough competition and Romania isn't a pushover either

OK, time to handicap Euro 08...

Group A

Czech Republic- Apart from England, the most overrated side in Europe. And unlike England, they're old (Jan Koller? Tomas Galasek?) and injury prone (Cech is a disaster waiting to happen and Tomas Rosicky's Talc-esque legs are keeping him out of the squad). 3 and out.

Portugal- Who brings 1 true forward with them (Hugo Almedia of Werder Bremen) to a tournament? A side that will be far too reliant on midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo's scoring prowess. Too bad for Portugal his big game experience consists more of mashing Englishmen's groins than actually scoring goals. They'll advance, and probably win the group despite this.

Switzerland- Who's the only team to go without a loss in the World Cup and not win it? The 2006 Swiss national team, that's who. They're an extremely well-organised side with a decent punch up front (Alexander Frei's comeback from a bad injury was nice as well as Blaise N'Kufo's breakout season in Holland), which with the home support should be enough to get them through into the knockout phase.

Turkey- Like Switzerland a well organised side, but apart from the Altintop twins, not a lot of depth. 3 and out.

Group B

Austria- Worst host side for a major competition ever (So bad Austrian supporters passed around a petition asking that the national team decline their place as to not embarrass the nation)... until 2010. 3 and out.

Croatia- Eduardo da Silva's injury ripped the heart out of the team, but Slavan Bilic has a ton of young talent to pick up the slack. Through to the knockout stages.

Germany- So deep and young everywhere... except in goal. Too bad for the opposition old goalkeepers tend to be assets rather than liabilities. Through without breaking a sweat.

Poland- Any other tournament and any other draw they would have a chance to advance. Too bad they're stuck with Germany (again). 3 and out.

Group C

France- Raymond Domenech chooses rosters through a variety of factors, including their astrological sign. This and Domenech's persnickety tastes leave Juventus' scoring machine David Trezeguet out of the line up in favour for... Djbril Cisse? Thankfully they have Lyon starlet Karim Benzema who carried Lyon to the title this season. Can he do the same for France? In a word, Non, as his sign probably clashes with Thierry Henry. 3 and out.

Italy- The defending world champs have their stout back four once again, a non-nonsense midfield, and unlike Germany 2006, 2 forwards that are on fire (Del Piero and Luca Toni) in Europe this season. They'll advance.

Netherlands- As usual a weak back four, 2 midfielders in Rafael van der Vaart and Wesley Sneijder who like to occupy the same space in midfield, and a plethora of creative forwards. Their 4-3 shocker over Austria may be a portent of things to come, but at least they have France primed to implode in their group. They'll advance.

Romania- Poor Romania. A second Golden Generation. Too bad they're in the Group of Death. 3 and out.

Group D

Greece- The defending champs are back after rolling through qualification with ease. Considering the group and their style of stifling play, they'll win the group.

Russia- They stumbled into Euro 2008 thanks to England's collapse, and despite some handy players, won't make it out. 3 and out.

Spain- So much talent. So many disappointments. But thankfully for Spain, they have Fernando Torres and disgruntled David Villa looking for something to prove. They'll advance, but not as group winners.

Sweden- You have Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Make that what you will. 3 and out.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Group A - Portugal, Turkey

Group B - Germany, Croatia

Group C - France, Italy

Group D - Sweden, Spain

Quarter Finals

Portugal vs Croatia

Germany vs Turkey

France vs Spain

Sweden vs Italy

Semi Finals

Portugal vs Germany

Italy vs Spain

Final

Italy vs Germany

And Italy take it, without conceding or scoring a goal, using the Italian long ball tactic to bore the opposition into submission. The rest of Europe sighs and goes to bed.

Archived