Euro 2008 Austria-Switzerland

NEW.ERA

Can I just say for the 10,00th time that I can't think of a single reason why extra time shouldn't be sudden death?

It's just insane that a sport with such limited goal scoring would allow a game to continue when someone scores in extra time.

rant over.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.. First, Portugal suffers from the piss poor performance against the weak ass Swiss and falters against a German team that they are clearly better then (I don't care what the excuse, there are no excuses for half assing a game against anyone in this tourny).

Now, Turkey pulls another one out of their asses today. If anyone asked you if there was going to be a Germany-Turkey semifinal in Euro 2008, you'd laugh at him and say he's freaking crazy...

Well, look's who laughing now.

Can I just say for the 10,00th time that I can't think of a single reason why extra time shouldn't be sudden death?

It's just insane that a sport with such limited goal scoring would allow a game to continue when someone scores in extra time.

rant over.

Because what transpired today is exactly why they don't.

It also depends on the tournament, as in the 1990s international tournaments generally had Golden Goal (See: Euro 1996 Final) or around 2002 Silver Goal (If the tie is broken at the half time of Extra Time, the game is over), but seeing as most tournaments still went to penalties because both sides would simply put 10 men behind the ball throughout Extra Time to prevent a goal from being scored, the old system was restored after Euro 2004 when FIFA put the kibosh on Golden and Silver Goals.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Euro 2000 ended in Golden Goal didn't it?

Who cares about 2000. I just care about 1996 because the Germans won. :D

And since I'll be out in the middle of the woods teaching n00bs how not to get lost in the woods for a week, my finals prediction (At least I'll be back in time to watch it):

Germany over Holland 2-1.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Some statistics or something showed that during "classic" extra time, there was more than one goal scored a surprising amount of the time. That's why Silver Goal was brought in, giving the opposition a chance to equalise (see Portugal vs England 2004). But I assume FIFA and the rest realised this was just stupid, and now extra time is back in it's normal guise.

Well, it's the last 10 minutes of the game, and probably the last ten minutes of the Dutch's stay in Euro 2008. Russia's played damn good football, making Ruud and van Persie invisible, Sneijder off of his game, Robben not even making an appearance, and the back four finally proved penetrable. If this is the way that the Dutch are gonna go out, then what a way to go out with a whimper. It's kinda sad to see how well they played in the group stage, and now it's like this.

EDIT:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RUUD!!!!

I will never doubt anything in this tournament. Ever.

Well, it's the last 10 minutes of the game, and probably the last ten minutes of the Dutch's stay in Euro 2008. Russia's played damn good football, making Ruud and van Persie invisible, Sneijder off of his game, Robben not even making an appearance, and the back four finally proved penetrable. If this is the way that the Dutch are gonna go out, then what a way to go out with a whimper. It's kinda sad to see how well they played in the group stage, and now it's like this.

EDIT:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RUUD!!!!

I will never doubt anything in this tournament. Ever.

Giving up on a 1-0 match before the final whistle?... Did you not see the Turkey/Croatia game the other day?? (Stunning finish BTW!)

6uXNWAo.png

OK, what gives with all of these good teams screwing around here in the Quarters?

Group A winner Portugal lays an egg against Germany just days after a half-assed showing against Switzerland

Group B champ Croatia lets the Thrilling Turks back into the game at the very end of Extra Time only to crash and burn in a shootout.

Group C champ Holland is having issues with Russia. Considering what they did in that group, they should of at least scored 4 or 5 goals on Russia.

Either the knockout stages give these second place teams some new life or the group winners just lay an egg at this point... Speaking of laying an egg, Russia just scored. What a perfect time for the Dutch to play their worst game in the tourny.

Edit: Nail. In. The. Coffin. Russia scores again to make 3-1. I suggest leaving the room now before TFoA decides to explode like a volcano.

OK, what gives with all of these good teams screwing around here in the Quarters?

Group A winner Portugal lays an egg against Germany just days after a half-assed showing against Switzerland

Group B champ Croatia lets the Thrilling Turks back into the game at the very end of Extra Time only to crash and burn in a shootout.

Group C champ Holland is having issues with Russia. Considering what they did in that group, they should of at least scored 4 or 5 goals on Russia.

Either the knockout stages give these second place teams some new life or the group winners just lay an egg at this point... Speaking of laying an egg, Russia just scored. What a perfect time for the Dutch to play their worst game in the tourny.

Just food for thought, no team has ever won all games in the Euro tournament in regulation.

LvZYtbZ.png

I think the game's just that fluky. One step the wrong direction can change a match.

Don't get me started on penalty kicks though. As exciting as they may be, you might as well just have a game of rock-paper-scissors decide it, since it's 99% the luck of choosing right.

And, see ya later Holland. 3-1 Ruskies.

VmWIn6B.png

I think the game's just that fluky. One step the wrong direction can change a match.

Don't get me started on penalty kicks though. As exciting as they may be, you might as well just have a game of rock-paper-scissors decide it, since it's 99% the luck of choosing right.

And, see ya later Holland. 3-1 Ruskies.

Eh, I guess I never really thought about the flukey nature of the game, you know. Either way, give props to Russia. This team opened the tourny getting torched by Spain and now they've beaten the once almighty Clockwork Oranje.

The Netherlands played too safe. Like the Stanley Cup playoffs, Safe = Death. Russia controlled the game's pace and deserved to win. Now I think that Italy will back into the final as Spain generally chokes. Overall, that game was great to have on ABC if people looked at it. Good luck MLS to capitalize....again.

my finals prediction (At least I'll be back in time to watch it):

Germany over Holland 2-1.

What a muppet. <_<^_^

Feel bad for Van Basten and Van Der Sar

well the good thing is South Africa is only 2 years away

the first ET goal, he got beat badly. Plus, utside of him being a supposed r@pist, why leave a 31 year old Kleivert off your team? That's Marco's fault. Scoring wins and goals bring the US audience; he creates havoc downfield.

I don't care about the US TV Ratings, Van Basten is smart yeah some of the decisions he made may be questioned but still as a dutch fan i will miss him as manager

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived