Erie Unveils Name and Logo for NBA D-League Franchise

MVP

Logo:

eriehawks_300_080523.jpg

Significance of Colors and Logo

The Erie BayHawks name represents two key elements unique to the Erie community. First, it evokes the image of Erie's most coveted landmark: Presque Isle Bay. The bay is one of Erie's feature attractions for tourists from all over the world. The Hawk is a symbol from Erie's local wildlife as well as having a strong connection to Erie's rich naval history. Hawks, used as messengers in early naval expeditions, were and are respected for their intelligence and superior swiftness.

The team colors also hold significance. The three primary colors – black, red, and gold – were chosen not only for their intrinsic meanings but also to honor one of Erie's most recognizable leaders, Oliver Hazard Perry, since those colors are a part of Erie's naval history as the colors of the navy's original uniforms from that era.

The colors black, red, and gold all have meanings beyond the history. Gold symbolizes royalty and the highest level of award one can have bestowed on them. This is significant since the team and logo are meant to represent the Erie community as a proud representative of the region while striving always to be a championship organization both on and off the basketball floor. Black represents authority and power as well as the aggression needed to win for the fans of Erie. The color also represents the respect the BayHawks players and organization will demonstrate for the community. Finally, red represents the fierce intensity and passion of BayHawks Basketball.

http://www.nba.com/news/Erie_Unveils_Name_and_Logo.html

http://www.nba.com/dleague/erie/bayhawks_name_080523.html

Wade-sig.png

The logo might be a little bit on the busy side, but I like it.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The logo might be a little bit on the busy side, but I like it.

I concur. There's not exactly any one element that is excessive and shouldn't be there, I guess it's just the way it's put together. But it feels like you were to drop something, then it'd be lacking. I think the highlights on the ball could be reduced a bit, and that white thing coming off the 'B', don't really know what that is. That supposed to be water or something, for bay? Anyway, maybe it could go. I don't know. All in all, though, this is definately better than some logos that have come out. I think it's a winner. Nice colors, too.

Thirded. Although I think the water-thing off the B probably could go and the logo not seem like it's lacking much. I also agree on toning down the white on the basketball.

However, this is one of the better identities (and more traditional-sounding as well) to come out of the D-League.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I think the logo is nice. Maybe they could get away with not using the band around the ball with E R I E. I think if you used the ball, then E R I E was "floating", it might break up the logo a bit. I still can not find the "Bay" in the logo. It seems that the "Presque Bay" is quite the hot spot... in Erie.

Map

However, this is one of the better identities (and more traditional-sounding as well) to come out of the D-League.

Yeah, except for the fact that the nearest bay to Erie, Pennsylvania is about, oh, 300 miles away or so.

From the link.....

First, it evokes the image of Erie's most coveted landmark: Presque Isle Bay.
saBS.png

Yeah, except for the fact that the nearest bay to Erie, Pennsylvania is about, oh, 300 miles away or so.

Presque Isle Bay is in Erie, I live 5 miles from it.

That being said, while the logo hasa 90's feel to it, it could definetly be much much worse. I'll go to some games for sure.

I agree that it's a little on the busy side, but I really like it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the big white part under the "B".

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Could definitely do without the white splash, and is it me or does the position of the head not match up well with where the wings meet? It's like the head and the front talon got dropped an inch to force the wordmark in...

I like it, but it reminds me too much of the ATL Hawks (the "Bay" part notwithstanding, the feeling of sameness is there, even w/ the Hawks' recent color change). I mean, I know Wizards is used in the NBA and D-League, but Dakota predates DC in using the name (and I think their logos are sufficiently different). And I know minor league baseball team affiliates are full of same names/logos, but I think in such a small minor league system like the D-League (esp. since it is officially attached to the NBA), they should come up w/ more diverse identities, but that's just me.

I freaking dig that logo and color scheme. Nicely done!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Presque Isle Bay is in Erie, I live 5 miles from it.

That being said, while the logo hasa 90's feel to it, it could definetly be much much worse. I'll go to some games for sure.

$#!+. I forgot all about Presque Isle. My bad!

nav-logo.png

I think this is a solid logo no matter the league. It's crisp, has a UNIQUE font style which I think is a must now. The D-League reakky has a good thing going because you'd think that the NBA Properties folks semi assist them. The only logos that fall flat IMO are the teams that came to the NBDL from other keagues.

Archived