Gray Royals hat?

NDwas

These discussions of grey caps always make me think of the "ice cream" Mets caps from several years ago. I know the Red Sox also had one as well, because I had it for a short while (before losing it). I always wish I still had that white Red Sox cap. Anyone have a pic of it/know of where to buy one?

Moose

That Joe Randa, nice boy, always had a smile on his face.

When he was with Detroit, me and my buddies would call him "The Joker".

Keith Hernandez said that once during a Mets game

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

These discussions of grey caps always make me think of the "ice cream" Mets caps from several years ago.

05dm.jpg

90841010cz3.jpg

I know the Red Sox also had one as well, because I had it for a short while (before losing it). I always wish I still had that white Red Sox cap. Anyone have a pic of it/know of where to buy one?

This is the only in-game photo I've seen...

67356882ip3.jpg

...and the red cap for good measure.

73982108rq1.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

And before I drift too far off the topic of hand - any truth to the rumor of the Pittsburgh gray cap originally being a yellow P outlined in black?

Yes, the P on the gray Pirates hat was yellow originally, though I'm not sure it ever made it to the field that way. I bought one with the yellow P in a store and actually had to wait a while before the version with the black P hit the stores in my town. I bought one of those, too.

Unfortunately, my head (along with my waistline) has gone up a couple of sizes since then and I couldn't wear them any more. I still have the hat with the black P, but the one with the yellow P was a victim of moving somewhere in the last 8 or 9 years.

I had an idea awhile back for a line of hats called "Road Greys" which would be two-toned hats much like these with a grey dome and colored bill and across the front it would have the script found on each team's road jersey. Now, it seems to me that there might already be something like that since it's not exactly a revolutionary idea. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I used to have an Orioles cap that was similar to that. It had a black bill and a dark gray (almost flannel . . . in thickness and color) crown. The front had a black script "Orioles" in a generic script font with a thin orange outline about 1/8" - 1/4" from the black portion. "Baltimore" was written above the Orioles script in a plain black font (not script). I bought in about 1992, then had to retire it a few years ago after the adjustable band in the back broke.

As I think I made clear, the hat did not use the Orioles wordmark font. I suspect that if I found a Yankees hat in the same style, the script would have been exactly the same. With mine being an Orioles hat, however, it bore at least a passing resemblance to what you described.

Okay - photographic evidence:

9cb6_1.jpg

THAT'S IT!!!!! I couldn't remember if "Baseball" was written in the tail or not, so I left that out. It was there, just as in your picture.

I think I also used to have that same bottle of Aveeno (the small one, that is).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I had an idea awhile back for a line of hats called "Road Greys" which would be two-toned hats much like these with a grey dome and colored bill and across the front it would have the script found on each team's road jersey. Now, it seems to me that there might already be something like that since it's not exactly a revolutionary idea. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I used to have an Orioles cap that was similar to that. It had a black bill and a dark gray (almost flannel . . . in thickness and color) crown. The front had a black script "Orioles" in a generic script font with a thin orange outline about 1/8" - 1/4" from the black portion. "Baltimore" was written above the Orioles script in a plain black font (not script). I bought in about 1992, then had to retire it a few years ago after the adjustable band in the back broke.

As I think I made clear, the hat did not use the Orioles wordmark font. I suspect that if I found a Yankees hat in the same style, the script would have been exactly the same. With mine being an Orioles hat, however, it bore at least a passing resemblance to what you described.

Okay - photographic evidence:

9cb6_1.jpg

THAT'S IT!!!!! I couldn't remember if "Baseball" was written in the tail or not, so I left that out. It was there, just as in your picture.

I think I also used to have that same bottle of Aveeno (the small one, that is).

Not exactly what I was talking about. In my mind, with the Red Sox for example, the hats would have the red brim, and on the gray face of the hat, you'd have the "BOSTON" script just as it appears on the front of their road greys. Same font, same color, same arching, all that.

I used to have an Orioles cap that was similar to that.

Not exactly what I was talking about. In my mind, with the Red Sox for example, the hats would have the red brim, and on the gray face of the hat, you'd have the "BOSTON" script just as it appears on the front of their road greys. Same font, same color, same arching, all that.

I know that wasn't what you had in mind, which is why I said mine was "similar." I just wanted to mention that something along those lines existed, at least to the extent the Orioles cap in this style used Orioles script on a gray crown.

Your idea probably isn't something that fits my particular taste, but it isn't a bad idea.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

These discussions of grey caps always make me think of the "ice cream" Mets caps from several years ago. I know the Red Sox also had one as well, because I had it for a short while (before losing it). I always wish I still had that white Red Sox cap. Anyone have a pic of it/know of where to buy one?

Moose

Moose, I don't know where you can find one but just as a piece of advice I'd just regularly check eBay and places like Mickey's Place and DistantReplays.com. I had been looking for the Mets' "ice cream man" cap for a few years now and all of a sudden I found one on Distant Replays a few weeks ago. I have no idea if this is where such an item would have come from but you have to figure somewhere someone who used to own a sporting goods store or something has a box of them in his basement that he will eventually try to sell on eBay or to a store like those that would be interested. Good luck!

mets.png

i loved those hats, the one problem i did have was that pittsburgh used their grey hat with pinstripes on their grey uniforms. with the pinstripes on the uniform the hat looked like part of a different set...

nl_1997_pittsburgh.gif

Those were two of the worst uniforms in the double-knit era of baseball.

There were also some gray BP hats used around 1999-2000. I kind of liked the gray hats used with gray road uniforms, but the continuity was all lost with colored BP jerseys. They look especially bad with the Angels white pinstriped pants, as the gray hats were used for both home and road spring training games.

angels.jpgroyals.jpg

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived