2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

The season is over and the Red Wings are champions once again. What does your team need to do to dethrone them next year? Ranting, raving, and wild speculation are encouraged here.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Habs will most likely let go of Smolinski, Ryder, and Brisebois, and will ttry to sign Streit before July 1th.

But for the first time in a lot of years, they have the young core this team needed to attract some big free agents. Amongst them, I believe they'll try to sign Sundin and/or Selanne. Teemu would play great with Saku.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I believe they'll try to sign Sundin and/or Selanne

Sundin a hab?

Leafs Nation would go crazy!

He actually waived off a trade to the Habs because he doesn't believe in rent-a-player.

Now the situation is different, especially the way the organization treated him during the last stretch. But I believe that the Leafs Nation would label him as a traitor!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I believe they'll try to sign Sundin and/or Selanne

Sundin a hab?

Leafs Nation would go crazy!

He actually waived off a trade to the Habs because he doesn't believe in rent-a-player.

Now the situation is different, especially the way the organization treated him during the last stretch. But I believe that the Leafs Nation would label him as a traitor!

Coming from Leafs Nation and as a Leaf fan, many idiotic Leaf fans automatically put the "traitor" label on everyone who leaves the team via free agency... Curtis Joseph, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts... just to name a few from recent years.

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mats Sundin receives the same treatment from these fans.

Wade-sig.png

Could be a rough off season in Pittsburgh:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

-Dan

And that is why many of us pens fans felt that it was this year or never. Some of those guys will be gone, unfortuately, they are also hard to replace.

I want them to keep:

Orpik (though, he doesnt like Therrien)

Laraque

Roberts (though hes definately in retirment territory at his age)

Hall

Ruutu

Malone

Hossa (He says he likes it here, and he fits in well. Hopefully thats enough to lure him out of other really juicy offers he will get, especially after proving he definately is not a playoff choker)

Dupuis

Conklin

I think they will keep:

Orpik

Roberts (Only if he wants to play another year or so)

Ruutu

Malone

Dupuis

Conklin

oBIgzrL.png

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mats Sundin receives the same treatment from these fans.

Classy fans ...

I have no problem with Mats refusing to allow us to trade him, but only if he plans on coming back... he kept saying he wants to be a leaf forever, etc.

If you aren't coming back, let us trade you, let us get some draft picks to help us make our team better... if he signs elsewhere we lose mats, we lose the picks... i wouldn't be happy about that.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Hey if I change teams this year do I announce it in this thread? :P

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Hey if I change teams this year do I announce it in this thread?

You probably could, but I'm not sure if any of us would notice. :P

As for the Oilers, I can't see them doing much this off-season. Maybe they'll trade Souray and Hemsky away for more prospects, but that would make too much sense.

6uXNWAo.png

Hey if I change teams this year do I announce it in this thread?

You probably could, but I'm not sure if any of us would notice. :P

As for the Oilers, I can't see them doing much this off-season. Maybe they'll trade Souray and Hemsky away for more prospects, but that would make too much sense.

Uh, that actually makes LITTLE sense. The Oilers are loaded with prospects, all fighting for decent ice time (Nilsson, Cogs, Gilbert). Why give up a guy like Hemsky when veteran presence and production are what's needed?

What's truly in question over the Oilers' offseason is what to do with Pitkanen.

Archived