2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caps better hold onto Green, Laich, Gordon, Huet, and Fedorov, mostly the core of the team. we dont need much, a solid stay at home defenseman is our biggest need, besides keeping Huet, or figuring out the goaltending situation since we know Olies not coming back.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Could be a rough off season in Pittsburgh:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

-Dan

And that is why many of us pens fans felt that it was this year or never. Some of those guys will be gone, unfortuately, they are also hard to replace.

I think they will keep:

Orpik

Roberts (Only if he wants to play another year or so)

Ruutu

Malone

Dupuis

Conklin

Orpik, Roberts, Malone and Dupuis are all gone if you were to ask me.

Ray Shero has a hell of a lot to do this summer.

Hi, how are you?

I believe they'll try to sign Sundin and/or Selanne

Sundin a hab?

Leafs Nation would go crazy!

He actually waived off a trade to the Habs because he doesn't believe in rent-a-player.

Now the situation is different, especially the way the organization treated him during the last stretch. But I believe that the Leafs Nation would label him as a traitor!

Coming from Leafs Nation and as a Leaf fan, many idiotic Leaf fans automatically put the "traitor" label on everyone who leaves the team via free agency... Curtis Joseph, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts... just to name a few from recent years.

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mats Sundin receives the same treatment from these fans.

Only going to Ottawa or Montreal would result in his stuff being burned... otherwise I won't care too much. Well, I do agree with Chris that he pretty much bent us over and then had his way with us if he doesn't return and refused to be traded somewhere else so we could re-stock our prospects.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Sundin a hab?

He actually waived off a trade to the Habs because he doesn't believe in rent-a-player.

Now the situation is different, especially the way the organization treated him during the last stretch. But I believe that the Leafs Nation would label him as a traitor!

Coming from Leafs Nation and as a Leaf fan, many idiotic Leaf fans automatically put the "traitor" label on everyone who leaves the team via free agency... Curtis Joseph, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts... just to name a few from recent years.

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mats Sundin receives the same treatment from these fans.

Only going to Ottawa or Montreal would result in his stuff being burned... otherwise I won't care too much. Well, I do agree with Chris that he pretty much bent us over and then had his way with us if he doesn't return and refused to be traded somewhere else so we could re-stock our prospects.

We'll treat him nice don't worry.

I welcome Mats with open arms.

Hi, how are you?

Sundin a hab?

And we'll... um... nah, we don't need any of your teams garbage. Emery and Redden would only make us worse... which we really don't need, lol. Altough Commodore could be a nice addition for a reasonable price...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Sundin a hab?

And we'll... um... nah, we don't need any of your teams garbage. Emery and Redden would only make us worse... which we really don't need, lol. Altough Commodore could be a nice addition for a reasonable price...

Oh I was just talking about snatching him off of Free Agency. :P

Hi, how are you?

Sundin a hab?

Redden = UFA

Emery = Soon-to-be-UFA (bought out sucka!)

Commodore = UFA

:P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Sundin a hab?

Redden = UFA

Emery = Soon-to-be-UFA (bought out sucka!)

Commodore = UFA

:P

You can have those guys, even though I think Commodore would have been better if he was in Ottawa a little bit longer.

Unless I'm missing something. I was just saying Ottawa would sign him as a free agent. :blink:

Hi, how are you?

As for the Oilers, I can't see them doing much this off-season. Maybe they'll trade Souray and Hemsky away for more prospects, but that would make too much sense. [/sarcasm]

Uh, that actually makes LITTLE sense. The Oilers are loaded with prospects, all fighting for decent ice time (Nilsson, Cogs, Gilbert). Why give up a guy like Hemsky when veteran presence and production are what's needed?

What's truly in question over the Oilers' offseason is what to do with Pitkanen.

There, fixed it for you.

But seriously, any time Edmonton has a player who is due a huge payday, they trade him for a handful of prospects or simply let them go. I can totally see this happening with Hemsky if he continues the great play. The one year Edmonton actually keep the team together and add a few big name players (Pronger, Peca and Samsonov), we make the Stanley Cup Final. Why can't the Oilers go that route again?? Instead they let almost everyone good from the '06 team go (aside from an aging Dwayne Rolison) and have practically nothing to show for them now. Not to mention Kevin Lowe dumping Ryan Smyth the following year to the Islanders, onlt to turn around and inking Dustin Penner for almost the same amount as Smyth was asking for ... WTF?!

Not that I'm giving up on them, I just find it incredibly difficult to root for the Oakland Athletics of the NHL.

6uXNWAo.png

As for the Oilers, I can't see them doing much this off-season. Maybe they'll trade Souray and Hemsky away for more prospects, but that would make too much sense. [/sarcasm]

Uh, that actually makes LITTLE sense. The Oilers are loaded with prospects, all fighting for decent ice time (Nilsson, Cogs, Gilbert). Why give up a guy like Hemsky when veteran presence and production are what's needed?

What's truly in question over the Oilers' offseason is what to do with Pitkanen.

There, fixed it for you.

But seriously, any time Edmonton has a player who is due a huge payday, they trade him for a handful of prospects or simply let them go. I can totally see this happening with Hemsky if he continues the great play. The one year Edmonton actually keep the team together and add a few big name players (Pronger, Peca and Samsonov), we make the Stanley Cup Final. Why can't the Oilers go that route again?? Instead they let almost everyone good from the '06 team go (aside from an aging Dwayne Rolison) and have practically nothing to show for them now. Not to mention Kevin Lowe dumping Ryan Smyth the following year to the Islanders, onlt to turn around and inking Dustin Penner for almost the same amount as Smyth was asking for ... WTF?!

Not that I'm giving up on them, I just find it incredibly difficult to root for the Oakland Athletics of the NHL.

Maybe Katz will turn them from a cheap, tight purse string team into one which isn't afraid to show some players the money. I have a feeling he will help the Oil turn a corner and finally keep some talent.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

There, fixed it for you.

Maybe Katz will turn them from a cheap, tight purse string team into one which isn't afraid to show some players the money. I have a feeling he will help the Oil turn a corner and finally keep some talent.

The Oilers in recent year have been willing to pay money. The problem is no one wants to play in Edmonton. That makes it hard to to attract free agents. If the Oilers want to be successful they need to build from within and then spend to re-sign their players. The problem is that Kevin Lowe (and Glen Sather before him) have a horrible draft record. The combination of all of that is being stuck at best in mediocrity. Of course it's hard to build from within when your GM foolishly someones to an offer sheet that gives away quality draft picks and will ultimately tie up the cap because he had to offer pay so the other team wouldn't match.

The Canucks are going to need to add some scoring, but damn if I know how they're going to do it. There are a few UFAs out there, but the top ones like Hossa are going to be out of reach. Hossa especially is going to get big dollars after proving he can deliver in the playoffs this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer him over eight million. The middle of the road UFAss like say, Demitra, may not help all that much.

Trade wise, the Canucks are in a bad spot as all their veteran d-men have no-trades, and I don't know that you want to give up a Bieksa or Edler in a trade, especially given the Luc Bourdon tragedy.

Theres a chance we might see a dramatic change of direction with the new GM and see the twins traded, but you'd have to replace two top-six forwards then, and realistically the canucks need two more even if they keep the twins.

I'm operating on the assumption that Naslund is done in Vancouver. Morrison may be brought back, if his demands are reasonable. His injury problems and being a home town guy might make him more affordable than he otherwise would be.

Great news...Hasek's retiring (again)! Which team's gonna drag him out this time?

Well he definitely had a good run, he's still my favourite goalie of all-time (even before his stint in Ottawa)

But it's best that he's retiring now instead of sitting on the bench for one more year.

Hi, how are you?

Great news...Hasek's retiring (again)! Which team's gonna drag him out this time?

No one, his career lasted longer than the average goalie...how many are still active at age 43? It's a great time for him to move on.

Concerning any upcomming signings, I don't expect anything different from the Canadiens this offseason, than I did last offseason. Over here, it's a free for all filled with nonstop rumors and unending debates on TV to try convince the fans that their is "hope" or that "it's very likely" that player X will be signed in no time.

This year before the Playoffs began, the Canadiens were 1 of 3 teams that were bidding to optain Marian Hossa. They talked about on the news for easily 2 weeks, and Hossa was on the cover of the Journal de Montreal many times, with more jibberish basically saying he's gonna sign, he's gonna sign, he's gonna sign, until he eventually chose the Cup contending Penguins over a not-yet-ready growing Habs team. They did the same thing with Sundin, Brière, Arnott and once with Ovechkin, just to name a few.

I expect more of this as soon as some signings occur.

Archived