2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there been any talk of Orpik to the Devils? May just be me, but i think that would be an excellent pickup.

I remember hearing a rumor about the Devs going after Hossa, but with Sweet Lou sitting on the throne, i'll believe that when i see it. (i.e. Never)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Has there been any talk of Orpik to the Devils? May just be me, but i think that would be an excellent pickup.

I remember hearing a rumor about the Devs going after Hossa, but with Sweet Lou sitting on the throne, i'll believe that when i see it. (i.e. Never)

There was talk about the Devils going after both Orpik and Hossa before free agency opened. As for Hossa they tried to get him at the trade deadline however they are probably out of it with the signings of Rolston and Holik. As for Orpik again there was talk however the Devils need more of a puck moving defensemen and less of a stay at home so they probably aren't going to make a strong play for Orpik. I wouldn't mind him though.

My guess is the Devils will try to make a trade for a defensemen. Maybe try to get McCabe from Toronto as they wouldn't have to give Toronto much. That said they will have to clear cap room to bring in a defensemen so Brian Gionta's days as a Devils are probably numbered.

God I hate the NHL Salary Crap system.

Marian Hossa will most likey become the highest paid player in the league, which is insane.

The NHL needs a few things to correct the system:

1) Franchise Player(s) (for a forward, d-man and goalie OR for a maximum of 3 players total) - with this franchise player, they can be paid the most and be allowed to sign a longer term contract than any other player (which the max length would be 4 years and max money allowed would be 5 or 6 mill a season).

2) Phantom Cap-Hit - this is my crackpot idea to make teams a little more responsible when signing players to crazy contracts every time the cap room becomes larger. If the cap room increases, say, 5%, then that 5% will be added to the Franchice Players salary to make the number larger but that extra money will not go towards the players salary but instead just count against the cap. So if a player makes $8 mill, and gains an extra $2 mill, then the players cap hit will be $10 mill while they still only make $8 mill. Proportion is the name.

3) No Cap floor - to help those teams which can't be throwing around lots of dough to be stuck in a position where they can't extend money to pay for players they truely can't afford. This will also take pressure off the teams who are giving the most money in the revenue-sharing scheme (which sucks but w/e, I'll deal with it another time).

4) Curb player salaries!!! - The first step is tiering players from Franchise to regular, the latter being the majority. My idea would be to have a max for these players as I stated before. Max 4 year terms, max 5 or 6 mill contracts. This would give everyone a fair shot at landing a non-franchise player. More teams would have a chance and keep rediculous spending lower.

My rant of the day.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Rangers Signed Wade Redden

They overpaid, but w/ Roszival re-upped and their young d-men in Staal, Girardi, and Tyutin only getting better, I'm giddy about the signing. It starts with a solid blue line.

I was pretty happy when they signed him for 6.5 million too. :P

Hopefully it works out better for the Rangers than it did for Ottawa.

Hi, how are you?

Rangers Signed Wade Redden

They overpaid, but w/ Roszival re-upped and their young d-men in Staal, Girardi, and Tyutin only getting better, I'm giddy about the signing. It starts with a solid blue line.

Ya they have a lot of good young d man, but what happens when they need new contracts and you have a bunch of money tied up in Roszival and Redden, not to mention Drury and Gomez. IMO they should of made resigning Jagr and Avery they're first priority, then get a guy like Orpik.

Raffi Torres to Columbus in exchange for Gilbert Brule.

It's sorry to see another member of 2006 Western Conference Champions go (first Stoll and Greene, now Torres), but I'm actually okay with this deal. No doubt, Torres is a scrappy player, but warning to Columbus fans: Raffi has been prone to take many bonehead penalties during critical stages of any given game. Good luck with him though.

As for what the Oilers received, I don't know much about Brule other than him being the Jackets' top pick (6th overall) from the great draft of 2005. However, I'm more than willing to give the Edmonton native a chance. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

Raffi Torres to Columbus in exchange for Gilbert Brule.

It's sorry to see another member of 2006 Western Conference Champions go (first Stoll and Greene, now Torres), but I'm actually okay with this deal. No doubt, Torres is a scrappy player, but warning to Columbus fans: Raffi has been prone to take many bonehead penalties during critical stages of any given game. Good luck with him though.

As for what the Oilers received, I don't know much about Brule other than him being the Jackets' top pick (6th overall) from the great draft of 2005. However, I'm more than willing to give the Edmonton native a chance. ^_^

The deal with Brule is that Doug Maclean rushed him to the NHL way too early. He wasn't ready and last season played mostly on the fourth line with Jared Boll. So his production wasn't great but that might be because of who he played with. He can be a good player, but was probably prematurely thrown into the NHL fire. He spent some time in Syracuse last season as well.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bruins sign Michael Ryder.

I hope Peter Chiarelli accidentally locks himself in a freezer.

Worst signing of the day, by far. Uh, Chiarelli, did you notice how many FERKIN' times he was a healthy scratch last year? LOL! 12 million for that.

<borat> NIIIIIIICE!</borat>

I was on the fence about Chia, but now, I see he's as clueless as his predecessor.

Ugh, Detroit did not need Hossa. What a slap in the face to everyone else on that team who has taken less money to play for such a great organization.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Ugh, Detroit did not need Hossa. What a slap in the face to everyone else on that team who has taken less money to play for such a great organization.

Not really it's a 1 year contract. It's not like they gave him a boat load more for a long term.

Archived