11 Coolest Helmets

larrypep

The sickest lid of all has to be the Iowa Barnstormers. Good to see they made Yahoo's list.

However, I don't quite understand an how atrocity like the Bucco Bruce helmet could make anyone's "best of" list. :puke:

Barnstormers is my favorite helmet, honestly, of all time. It's amazing. And it doesn't remind me completely of Snoopy.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. San Diego Chargers--Navy until 2007: I do not understand the love for the white helmet. The powder blue

jerseys are cool, but the best helmet is so clearly the navy with white/yellow bolt.

The navy helmet with the white bolt was the worst of the Chargers helmet, with the exception of the 1966 helmet (white helmet with navy bolt). Boring color scheme, the white helmet with the gold bolt and the royal blue/navy blue helmet with the gold bolt are miles ahead of the Spanos version.

What was that guy on Yahoo smoking? Edmonton a ripoff of Green Bay? Edmonton's design evolved over time as did Green Bay's, I N D P E N D E N T of each other. The Orlando Thunder? Gimme a break.

Let's try this:

1. Birmingham Fire: sheer genius. I have a game issued helmet. The piece is great.

2. Barcelona Dragons - again, I have a game-issued helmet (w/red face mask). Everyone loves that logo

3. Carolina Panthers - the helmet should be black though, with the black logo outlined in silver and carolina blue

4. Hamilton Tiger Cats - be it yellow gold or black, the leaping Ti-Cat is great

5. Seattle Seahwaks - old silver. Great design

6. Jacksonville Bulls - the wraparound, much like Seattle is genius

7. Michigan Panthers - A helmet ahead of its time

8. Iowa Barnstormers - Again, a terrific design

9. Ohio Glory - Would have made a great secondary logo for the Patriots

10. New England Patriots - New and old. Classic designs.

2. San Diego Chargers--Navy until 2007: I do not understand the love for the white helmet. The powder blue

jerseys are cool, but the best helmet is so clearly the navy with white/yellow bolt.

The navy helmet with the white bolt was the worst of the Chargers helmet, with the exception of the 1966 helmet (white helmet with navy bolt). Boring color scheme, the white helmet with the gold bolt and the royal blue/navy blue helmet with the gold bolt are miles ahead of the Spanos version.

I'm with WideRight (and in the minority), the navy helmet is better than the white helmet. It's actually more appropriate for lightning bolt to be white than yellow. Who has ever seen an actual gold lightning bolt?

Take a look at these pictures, when is the sky ever white when lightning strikes :D

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/bolts.html

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm with WideRight (and in the minority), the navy helmet is better than the white helmet. It's actually more appropriate for lightning bolt to be white than yellow. Who has ever seen an actual gold lightning bolt?

Take a look at these pictures, when is the sky ever white when lightning strikes :D

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/bolts.html

That was Sid Brooks explanation. Sid was the Chargers long-time equipment manager and the guy who designed those uniforms. I still think the white bolt looks blah. We can agree to disagree, either way the bolt-scheme the Chargers use on their helmet has withstood the test of time.

My list:

4. Boston Breakers--USFL: I remember hearing the team names announced before the famous SI issue gave

us all the helmets, and I remember thinking there was no way to make a good helmet for Breakers,

but the USFL, perhaps the best branded league outside of the NFL ever, found a way.

********************************************************************************

Honorable Mention: USFL: Jacksonville (great wraparound)

I agree 100% with both of these. The Breakers were really a classic design that was appropriate for its day. It ranks as my #2, only behind the Coryell-era Chargers.

The Jacksonville Bulls were great, too. They took the then-design of the Seahawks' wrap-around style and improved it. The "Bulls" on the back of the helmet was a nice touch, and the color scheme was unique as well.

I don't know what that guy's criteria was, but I didn't really agree with most of his choices. I mean, crap like this...

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...mbfcd_CS4lfhyRr

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...mOVaf_CddHH2ob_

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...m6H0a_CphVmuXPe

makes his list and actual cool helmets like the University of Michigan's or even the new Tampa Bay Bucs don't get a mention?

I don't know what that guy's criteria was, but I didn't really agree with most of his choices. I mean, crap like this...

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...mbfcd_CS4lfhyRr

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...mOVaf_CddHH2ob_

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_e...m6H0a_CphVmuXPe

makes his list and actual cool helmets like the University of Michigan's or even the new Tampa Bay Bucs don't get a mention?

I don't think college teams were part of his listings...

The Steelers logo was born, in all places, Cleveland, as the logo they borrowed from Republic Steel. This schmoe tries to tie it into the fabric of the city of Pittsburgh.

It was actually the steelmark logo and was created by US Steel. It was used as a generic mark for the steel industry. You are right that Republic Steel used it and suggested the Steelers use it as well. But US Steel created it and since US Steel was based in Pittsburgh it makes perfect sense.

http://news.steelers.com/tradition/logohistory/

Same way someone can be a fan of the Chicago Cubs, it's personal opinion, what a person likes.

Yeah, and it's my personal opinion to dislike the Bucco Bruce helmet. What's your point?

And just to follow up, I simply find it hard to believe that the Bucs original dome could make anyone's best helmets list when it was a symbol for losing for years and when the color scheme just about made everyone sick while it was in use.

It was those helmets and the uniforms that accompanied them that made me take notice enough of the Bucs back in the day to start liking them. They've been my favorite team ever since. Also, they were building a respectable team before they switched gear. That isn't to say I don't like the "new" look. I just miss the old one and would like to see it sometimes.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Steelers: Iconic logo and the one side thing is special.

Speaking of which...why is it only on one side? I've always wondered that.

They previously had no logo, and when they were allowed to use the Steel logo, they were merely testing it by putting it on the one side, and the reaction was popular (for the logo) so they kept it, as is.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The Steelers logo was born, in all places, Cleveland, as the logo they borrowed from Republic Steel. This schmoe tries to tie it into the fabric of the city of Pittsburgh.

Well, the city is crazy enough about the Steelers, and few enough people know its from Cleveland, that it really has become part of this city.

oBIgzrL.png

Steelers: Iconic logo and the one side thing is special.

Speaking of which...why is it only on one side? I've always wondered that.

Many urban legends regarding this peculiar occurrence have surfaced since the Steelers first started using the US Steel logo on their helmets. It has been said, as Wilson mentioned, that the first application was merely a "test run", but was met with such overwhelming praise that the organization continued to use it. Another tale often told (one that may possibly be tied into the one previously mentioned) is that originally the organization simple did not have enough decals to apply one to each side of the players' helmets, so they just went with the decal on the one side.

(Another interesting sidebar: originally, the helmet decal said "Steel" rather than "SteelERS". I forget the year exactly, but soon after, someone added the "ers" to "Steel", and as such, we now have the logo so known and adored by Steeler nation today.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Another interesting sidebar: originally, the helmet decal said "Steel" rather than "SteelERS". I forget the year exactly, but soon after, someone added the "ers" to "Steel", and as such, we now have the logo so known and adored by Steeler nation today.

According to Chris's site, it was 1963. The regular "steel" logo was used for one year as the primary, which was 1962. Wasn't that also when they switched from yellow shells to black?

I agree with the Bucs one.

That is an awesome helmet, I wish they'd bring it back.

God yes. Another Bucco Bruce fan, glad to see it.

Just infinitely more interesting than the generic scheme and logo they've got now. And yes, before someone says Pewter isn't generic, it's nothing compared to the ol' creamsicle orange and red togs.

Archived