Goalie Helmet Design Competition

lets_go_red

As you all may or may not know, I recently made the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders of the USHL. One of the perks is getting all of my gear for free!!! As I am a goalie- I need a new helmet...here is where YOU come in. I thought it would be fun to see what the designers of this board could come up with.

As far as reward...there will be 2 winners. One will be the "People's Choice Award" and will be awarded to the top vote getter when CCSLC is polled. The second winner will be the "Goalie's Choice Award"...cheezy but it is my favorite pick. Both will recieve some type of RoughRiders apparel (a hat, t-shirt, etc.). To me thats not even the best part...elements of helmets that I like might be used on my actual helmet, and if I like one particular concept enough to put it on my new mask...it shall be done.

I'm really excited for this because I don't think there has been a Goalie Mask Competition on here, but I'm sure there will be some designs that are absolutely mind blowing. Also I realize the Apprentice Competition is going on but because I'm going to need a design by mid to late July, WiB gave me the A.O.K. (thanks, WiB and Greg). As of now voting will start July 10.

Alright now to somethings to consider...

My current helmet has a badger ripping out of a red background, sprint cars on the sides, and checker flags forming the background behind the cars. Do I want to do the Eddie Belfour thing...and carry the same basic design team to team and just change the color? I'm actually undecided.

Our team colors are Green, Black, Silver, and White. The website can be found here. Check it out, research is highly encouraged. I'm a huge fan of the "RR" logo that looks like a brand a steer ranch would use. Finished concepts can be posted in this thread or sent to me at Wiaaagoaler27@earthlink.net.

There is a template below the you MAY OR MAY NOT use...it is paint friendly. Feel free to use it or any other goalie helmet template there is. I do not know whose template it is. I would love for the creator to take credit for it- but please realize this is not my template.

helmettemplate.jpg

I think that covers it all, if I have missed anything or you have any questions- post here or PM me.

Good Luck,

Troy

brewerssig.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooo I'm way interested! But more than anything, a huge congrats to ya! That is way aweosme! Keep it up man!

Let me see what I can come up with!

EDIT: Hey man, for some reason the link for the team's website isn't working for me. Is there another way I could possibly find logos, colors, etc.? Thanks!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Oooo I'm way interested! But more than anything, a huge congrats to ya! That is way aweosme! Keep it up man!

Let me see what I can come up with!

EDIT: Hey man, for some reason the link for the team's website isn't working for me. Is there another way I could possibly find logos, colors, etc.? Thanks!

It's just some simple URL jumbling.

http://www.roughridershockey.com/

First of all...thank you for all the congrats- that goes from here on out!!!

Eagle Eye: I'll probably be in Des Moines a lot...they got transferred back to the East after Columbus folded and with the addition of Fargo. See you there

Shanurr: Hand drawn is fine so give it a go.

Mantle: Fixed the link...should be working now

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with

brewerssig.jpg

It's certainly not the best, but it sure as heck is the first!

MaskAttempt1.png

I've actually got a lot going on right now, at this was just a run-through to make sure the template worked. I actually had to re-draw it to make the coloring easier. So anyway, I will certainly do another by July 10.

Are there any charms or personal things that you'd want on the helmet? A lot of goalies, if their able, put some personal touches on it, but I don't know what you're into.

(Don't worry, my next submission will have at least a reverse angle as well.)

No worries...actually if the sides are the same...one angle is all thats needed. My number is 27, I dont know if I will be able to have that but I guess plan on it. As far as luck, really nothing helmet-wise. Sorry to hear the template wasn't the easiest to work with, but I felt like since I had it I should provide it.

brewerssig.jpg

No worries...actually if the sides are the same...one angle is all thats needed. My number is 27, I dont know if I will be able to have that but I guess plan on it. As far as luck, really nothing helmet-wise. Sorry to hear the template wasn't the easiest to work with, but I felt like since I had it I should provide it.

It's just my messed up program. Color-fills are hard in Flash.

Also, is most of your gear green and silver? I do have an idea that I'll probably do sometime by this weekend since I have the time, but I want to get the colors down first.

My pads are going to be mainly white with small green and silver stripes so any of those colors will definitely work on the helmet. Black will match some of the jerseys, but it is probably the fourth in line in the teams color scheme.

brewerssig.jpg

My pads are going to white with small green and silver stripes so any of those colors will definitely work on the helmet. Black will match some of the jerseys, but it is probably the fourth in line in the teams color scheme.

I'm guessing RBK pads? Premier Pro II/8k style? Like Fleury's old yellow pads, except green?

Yeah the USHL is a Rbk/CCM league so I'm limited to Rbk as CCM no longer makes goalie equipment. I'm getting the Primier II Pads and Glove...where Fleury's old pads were yellow, mine will be white. The inner longer stripe will be green. The outer shorter stripe will be silver. I'm going with the X-Pulse blocker- it just felt better.

brewerssig.jpg

Well, I've had a lot more time today than I thought. I was able to finish my submission. I may make tweaks if I have any idea of what needs tweaking, but other than that, I present to you my concept for a helmet for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.

CedarRapidsMask-2.png

woah that is cool

just a thought

pick a jersey number other than 1 or 30 something

i would loveto see goalies wearing something different for once

Man... no way... I hate it when goalies wear numbers that aren't 1 or 30 something. It's like they're trying to hard to be cool. Goalies should be proud of the great history of netminders wearing those numbers. 27 is fine though because it was Ron Hextall's number and he, literally, kicked arse.

thecatch.jpg

My pads are going to white with small green and silver stripes so any of those colors will definitely work on the helmet. Black will match some of the jerseys, but it is probably the fourth in line in the teams color scheme.

I'm guessing RBK pads? Premier Pro II/8k style? Like Fleury's old yellow pads, except green?

There is no way anyone in the USHL would be wearing 8k gear. Those things would last maybe a month seeing that much ice. My cousin has the same pads that you are getting except substitute purple and black for the green and silver.

Archived