great throwback for Tampa Bay: 89-90 St. Pete Pelicans

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember when the dodgers played IN Tampa in thier Brooklyn Jerseys on 06/23/07....and TB was wearing thier Flamingos jersey.

I liked the flamingo jersey.

The Rays jerseys were actually St. Pete Saints unis. The flamingo was just something that has nothing to do with the team nickname.

I think the Rays looked great last night. They went the whole way for helmets and undershirts, and that completed the look. The Astros looked okay, but those few missed details really make a difference.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I LOVE the Pelicans unis...love the colors, the fonts, everything...

Which makes you wonder why the Rays never went with something like the Pelicans to begin with. What focus group okayed 'Devil Rays'?

It was a one-man focus group......Vince Namoli.

He didn't want to pay for a name for the team, hence the Devil Rays.

That is a perfect example of the whole Namoli-era of Rays. Do it on the cheap.

As far as the Astros jerseys, the names on the back should have been arched. They didn't look like it on Saturday night.

I thought the Astros names should have been arched too but I saw some video from the 1986 season and it showed a player wearing a straight nameplate and others wearing an arched one.

If anyone wants one of those Pelicans caps, lids.com now has them in limited supply.

I see it on the front page, but when you click on it, it goes to the World Baseball hats. I don't see them in the Rays section either.

Just type Pelicans in the search box in the upper left corner

Archived