Marist Red Foxes

axl007

Wow, great (well, great as in the way you told it) story, Fox! What a shady thing that Photographer did, I wonder how much he atually got outta the deal. Have you ever drawn up some "modernized" versions of your old logo? Those would be neat to see.

Thanks for the kind words! I haven't drawn up a v.02, but I'm going to, just because it has to be done... : )

I could kick myself for not coming across their plans to renovate the logo when I could have actually submitted it to them for approval, and offered it gratis.

When I do finish my concept piece, I post the new version here..

I have always wondered what that crud got paid too... I just visited the GoRedFoxes website and looked around the online store, and my logo is still on every piece - but they'll likely update all that too with the new insignia. I like my version better - especially when I see it in the context of team merchandise. It's pretty scary just as a huge image on a web page... when I designed it I didn't take HD screens into account. It's pretty gruesome... magnified and out of context.

It would be sort of satisfying if people still preferred the "classic" logo on sweatshirts and things. It really was a good little fox and man, did they get their money's worth out the little guy - I hope he got a gold watch in the deal... heh...

Maybe I'll buy a t-shirt before they're all discontinued...

The face in the new logo is very strong, but it loses me beyond that somewhat - busy and disjointed, and I don't know why it's shiny, other than the fact that the artist knew how to make things look shiny and included it for that reason but not really effectively. And I'm really unhappy with the awkward angle of the tail. The areas of bad composition diminish the areas of good composition - but that shouldn't even be an appropriate argument, because the design as a whole needs to work as a a successful composition as a whole. It's trouble when it isn't consistent.

I shouldn't be so critical - mine looks like it was done in 1979 (or thereabouts) and the new logo is a vast improvement simply because it's new, even if think it it's sort of an easily forgettable design. You want a design that is cool enough for people to want to wear things and stick things on their car... I'm really trying to be aware of whether this is just sour grapes, and there may be a little of that - only because I wish I could have given them a new one before it was too late, but even so, I still think it's awkward and odd.

Well, when I post my new version, you guys can rip that apart and tell me what's wrong with it. : )

Thanks for the feedback - I'm thoroughly surprised that I'd get any responses at all!

fox

Honestly, the new version exudes Web 2.0, with the unnecessary beveling. I'm wondering if it's the same designer as the revamped Stetson logo.

I really like the old one more. Maybe just a bit of modernization was all that was needed, and even then, just enough to make it cleaner.

VmWIn6B.png

Thanks for coming to tell your story, Foxy. It's always great to hear the story behind things. I'm just sorry that guy did you so dirty. I would love to see your updates!

I think Phoenix did this logo...it fits their M.O. quite well.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I prefer the original. The new one looks like something one of us on the boards would throw together over a day or two.

The original's got a style and attitude much superior to the new one. Thanks for the story too, foxy :)

Exactly. There's more style and individuality in that original logo than a million of those cookie-cutter template types that they just switched over to.

It's nice to get some context on the old logo. The new one, wow... they just took a fox and beveled the :censored: out of it. The wordmark is nice, but the black outlines makes it a little illegible.

What they should have done (and I still hope to see foxy's attempt) is take the old one and modernize it. Obviously it isn't too clean, but structurally, it's better than the beveled one.

I know when the new logo first came out I said I liked it better, but now I like the old one more. I think I was just looking at a bad quality logo of the original. They should have just updated that, keeping the same style.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Welcome to the boards, Fox.

I'm sorry to hear that you got cheated. You definitely should've gotten more than just the $15 check for the logo you designed. You truly deserve more than that if your work is popping up everywhere. At least some credit would've been nice.

I actually designed a mascot for a minor league hockey team who also happens to be a fox. I wasn't paid a single cent for that, nor do I own the rights, including copyright, to the mascot I designed either. But I did get credit which was the most important to me. As long as I got credited for my work, it wouldn't bother me so much that the team's organization are using my mascot for almost anything. What I got in return was free tickets to one of the team's games and a zamboni ride the night of the game I was at so I would get recognized as the designer of the mascot. The credit I got was all I cared about.

As for the logo you designed, it's definitely better than the updated ones. I can't wait to see your version of the new Foxes logo. I'll definitely check it out.

Archived