EPL/European Football Off-Season

heernumurr

Starting this thread in annoyance at people texting into Setanta Sports News suggesting their club buy David Villa. Or Arshivin. Or Benzema. But not so much Benzema any more since France went out. Or David Villa.

So who do you actually want? And *shudder* where should Ronaldo go?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much as I hate to suggest anything that would help ManUre, I think Ronaldo should stay at Old Trafford, if only because then I wouldn't lose him in my fantasy league. Or at least stay in England.

As an Arsenal fan, I think I've learned over the past couple of years not to expect any big signings, but I trust Wenger to find a couple of diamonds in the rough, like this Welsh kid Aaron Ramsey he plucked from Cardiff City a while ago.

Anyone putting any credence in the persistent Ronaldinho-to-Man City rumours? Or The Special One now targeting Frankie Lampard, Didier Drogba and Deco for Inter Milan?

Apparently, the Ronaldinho Man City thing is just talk for publicity's sake. I heard that all the "big money" used on last seasons signings was just in anticipation of the coming seasons improved TV money, Sinatra (sic) hasn't coughed up much in the way of transfer funds.

I would love to see Ronaldo go, but I'll try to be unbiased about it. He should go now when the opportunity is there. Look what happened to Henry. He should have went to Barca a season earlier, but waited and suffered because of it.

Anyone putting any credence in the persistent Ronaldinho-to-Man City rumours? Or The Special One now targeting Frankie Lampard, Didier Drogba and Deco for Inter Milan?

I tend to believe those Inter rumors.

Me too. I also think Ronaldo is as good as gone to Real. And why the hell not? What more is there to be done in the EPL?

As an Arsenal fan, I think I've learned over the past couple of years not to expect any big signings, but I trust Wenger to find a couple of diamonds in the rough, like this Welsh kid Aaron Ramsey he plucked from Cardiff City a while ago.

I really hope that works out. It should be a very nice match. Ramsey was a big part of the side that went to the FA Cup final, and he fits with the youth movement that always seems to be going on with the club. I like the signing.

Also, Gael Clichy has a new long term deal. He's been one of the more consistent presences on the squad since he came, so it's good to see him staying.

But yeah, to Ronaldo since he's bounced out of Euro 08 (:D), y'all think he's gonna go to Real Madrid?

Β 

Β 

I'm trying to decide who to "officially" go for in the EPL.

I narrowed it down to four teams.

Everton (First club I ever watched)

Arsenal (Bandwagon-ish pick)

Portsmouth (Kinda dig their look and it's closer to where the Streeter family is from)

Aston Villa (I like their kits)

I just have to figure out who it's gonna be. Any help out there?

For me, it came down between Arsenal and Aston Villa. In the end, I chose Arsenal because someone compared them as the Braves of England, and that was enough for me to become a Gooner. :P

But yeah, if I were you, and looking at your reasons, I'd choose between Pompey and Everton, and I'd lean towards Everton. Not telling you how to choose your team though. ^_^

Β 

Β 

Portsmouth (Kinda dig their look and it's closer to where the Streeter family is from)

As a West Ham fan, i have to ask, what's wrong with the Hammers claret and blue? or is it the horrible Umbro kit design that's putting you off?

fivebaseball3.png

Joe Morgan on 'Moneyball' - "Why would I wanna read a book about a computer, that gives computer numbers?"

Arsenal is definitely a mix of the Atlanta Braves and the Oakland A's. Consistently finishing in the top 4, but only winning the grand prize a few times. And they have a fiscal policy similar to Oaklands.

As for the transfer market. I trust Arsene Wenger. He's reliable. He's notorious for squeezing water out of a rock. He's had gem signings all throughout his duration in London. In fact most of his signings are quality players for low prices. Fabregas for 500,000. But the rumblings I keep on hearing is Samir Nasri and Hatem Ben Arfa. I think David Villa is out of the question, his showing at Euro has probably doubled his price tag.

As for C.Ronaldo, I read somewhere that Glazer and company would sit him on the bench to make a point. Can't find the article.

As a West Ham fan, i have to ask, what's wrong with the Hammers claret and blue? or is it the horrible Umbro kit design that's putting you off?

The guy wants to watch a decent squad, can you blame him?

Villa > Hammers

Youth has been Wenger's policy since he took over in 1996. And ho-hum for Nasri? Not hardly. Samir Nasri is considered by some to be the next Zinadine Zidane. He should fit in quite nicely and will be a dangerous winger for Woolwich Arsenal.

Among the other Arsenal targets (Allegedly), the biggest are...

Valencia's David Villa (Pricey before the Euros and even more 4 goals later)

Zenit St. Petersburg's Dimitry Arshavin (Good, but a hopeless finisher)

Blackburn Rovers' Roque Santa Cruz (Great season for Blackburn last seaon, but too injury-prone)

Olympique Lyonnais' Hatem Ben Arfa (fantastic young talent, but probably not)

Ajax Amsterdam's Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Would be great, but probably need over Β£25 million to get him from Ajax)

Bayern Munich's Lukas Podolski (Yeah, right.)

Also of interest is Emanuel Adebayor and Alexander Hleb to FC Barcelona for Β£32 million and (possibly) Yaya Toure, the brother of Arsenal defender Kolo Toure.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Not a rumour but an actual transfer is Spurs signing of Giovani Dos Santos, which adds to their collection of attackers while not addressing their need to shore up on the defensive end.
I hope things go [horribly wrong] for him at Tottenham. He is a very good player and let's hope he can then move on to a better team.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived