EPL/European Football Off-Season

heernumurr

Everton (First club I ever watched)

Arsenal (Bandwagon-ish pick)

Portsmouth (Kinda dig their look and it's closer to where the Streeter family is from)

Aston Villa (I like their kits)

To my mind, such considerations trump "bandwagon-ish" choices and kits. You never want to simply climb aboard a bandwagon. Rather, you want to have been on it from the get-go. As for kits... those are subject to change from time to time. Said changes could be minor, or - in the case of away/change kits - major overhauls.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALWAYS buy Carlos Vela in Football Manager. I got him on loan at Derby in FM07 and he destroyed the Championship. Oops, no tipping...

Did you hear what he had to say about his best friend Gio Dos Santos going to Totenham.....

Vela said: "I am happy for him. I hope things go well for him at Tottenham, that he gets the minutes he wasn't given at Barcelona and that he shows what he can do.

"He is a very good player and let's hope he can then move on to a better team."

Thats classic stuff :)

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I always laugh at these guys who are saying "We should sign Villa, Silva and Arshavin" as if a ) they had enough money for these players, and b ) the players would even want to sign for their UEFA Cup-spot-challenger Premier League side. No matter how successful Premier League teams become in Europe, or how attractive and exciting the football is, most players still want the move to Serie A or La Liga, just look at Ronaldo. It'll be a very long time before this changes.

Also there seems to be a new transfer trend. Brazilian moves to Russia/Ukraine, gets work permit, moves to high mid-table Premier League team, then looks to get the move to the aforementioned European leagues.

Peter Crouch is trading in a bench spot at Anfield for a potential starting role with his old boss at Portsmouth

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4289470.ece

Maybe this means we will see more of the robot goal celebration on Saturday Mornings.

And now for the story that wont go away

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...ope&cc=5901

Rumors also abound that United is hot for Klass-Jan Huntelaar,i kinda am mixed about that one.I dont think he would score at the pace he does for Ajax as he would in the Premier League.And how would he being third or fourth choice striker,and sitting on the bench for fairly long stretches

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

The only thing this has to do with anything, is the fact that Man City lost out on their bid to get Ronaldinho. Now, he's going to AC Milan. That's gonna be a beast of the club, even though Ronaldinho's definitely got fitness concerns.

But poor City. They offered a boatload of money, Milan offers less than half and he goes to Milan.

The only thing this has to do with anything, is the fact that Man City lost out on their bid to get Ronaldinho. Now, he's going to AC Milan. That's gonna be a beast of the club, even though Ronaldinho's definitely got fitness concerns.

But poor City. They offered a boatload of money, Milan offers less than half and he goes to Milan.

Frankly, I think City dodged a bullet with that one. I think Ronaldinho wouldn't be as successful in the English league as he would in Italy or Spain. Maybe in his younger days, but not now.

Just a sign of Thak throwing around his megabucks, regardless of fit or not.

• 5 weeks later...
I wouldn't count on it. Crouch got by with a lot of help from his Anfield "friends".

Not hardly. Crouchie, when he isn't eating his nachos, is a scoring threat on his own and never needed any help from that most offencively anemic of big clubs. Heck, he scored for England with consistency, which in the modern era of English football generally requires a player to be (literally) hamstrung.

Back to the rumours...

Andrei Arshavin's price tag has dropped according to some sources, which will allow Tottenham Hotspur to sign him away from Zenit St. Petersburg by next week. This would bolster an already impressive attack (on paper), but despite everyone slobbering over him since April, I'll still stand by my statement from page one and point out his career goal total (1 goal every 4.6 matches) is pretty paltry for someone that everyone swears is the hottest thing going. Perhaps I should have made myself some easy cash by joining a national team and scoring two goals for a Cinderella team in a big tournament.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I wouldn't count on it. Crouch got by with a lot of help from his Anfield "friends".

Not hardly. Crouchie, when he isn't eating his nachos, is a scoring threat on his own and never needed any help from that most offencively anemic of big clubs. Heck, he scored for England with consistency, which in the modern era of English football generally requires a player to be (literally) hamstrung.

Back to the rumours...

Let's agree to pick this up. I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if he nets more than 10 for Pompey this year.

Let's agree to pick this up. I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if he nets more than 10 for Pompey this year.

If 'Arry starts him regularly and doesn't succumb to the temptation of a 4-5-1 with Jermain Defoe up top, ten-twelve in all competitions should be about what he picks up.

He's not the Second Coming of Alan Shearer, but the idea that he's completely useless is just as silly of an opinion.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived