Mets Wearing Blue On The Road - 1st Time Since 1997

njmeadowlanders

I can recall the Mets wearing blue caps on the road in a series against St. Louis probably in 1998 or 1999. So the radio maybe wrong about first time since 1997 - they could be just speculating since '97 was the last year before black was introduced into the scheme. I don't have any photos but I can recall a highlight of Piazza hitting a homer against the Cards on the road with the blue helmet. Piazza's first year with the Mets was '98.

Anyway, it looks great. Wished they would do it more often. It enhances the uniform dramatically.

They probably didn't have black helmets at the time and were still using the blue ones.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a couple more...

15-5 (Bot 9), 9 - THATS NINE RBI for Carlos Delgado (I'm as stunned as any of you), and it also ties Roy Hibbert of Toronto in 1977 for the most RBI ever by a visitor at Yankee Stadium.

I'm such a happy Met fan today...a far cry from leaving Shea losing 11-0 to Seattle on Tuesday night...

capt.7d22bf80434d4ae09fce48ef5feaeaba.mets_yankees_baseball_nyff107.jpg

capt.722670032b2d4237b6d3f0fb9351c41f.mets_yankees_baseball_nyff105.jpg

capt.331270246a9147239c5a679474e853ab.mets_yankees_baseball_nyff109.jpg

If they wear the pinstripes and blue hats tonight....oh man...we'll see come 8:10 in Queens.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I can recall the Mets wearing blue caps on the road in a series against St. Louis probably in 1998 or 1999. So the radio maybe wrong about first time since 1997 - they could be just speculating since '97 was the last year before black was introduced into the scheme. I don't have any photos but I can recall a highlight of Piazza hitting a homer against the Cards on the road with the blue helmet. Piazza's first year with the Mets was '98.

Anyway, it looks great. Wished they would do it more often. It enhances the uniform dramatically.

They probably didn't have black helmets at the time and were still using the blue ones.

It's a good point you bring up since some teams do not have helmets to match their alt hats. But when the Mets brought in the black hats with a blue bill in '98, the did in fact introduce matching black helmets with blue bill to go with it (this helmet was replaced by the blue to black fade in 2006). The all black hat and helmet was not introduced until 1999.

The bottomline is the blue cap and helmet on the road has not been done in awhile. To bad the Elias Sports Bureau doesn't keep a stat on this.

This is a picture of Dave Mlicki finising a CG SHO in the first ever Mets-Yankees regular season game back in June of 1997:

1396700.jpg

For the record, the Mets are in blue hats and the snow-white (not pinstriped) home uniforms at Shea for the nightcap...

Let's Go Mets!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That's how the Mets are supposed to look. I saw the highlights and thought I was totally losing it. The Mets roads looked so good pre the black. I've been trying to find a pre drop shadow road jersey for years (even though I hate the Mets.) At least things got back to normal when they got to Queens Yankees won 9-0 :)

That looks like the Mets.

Those were my exact words when I saw the blue hats and socks. I was so excited, my friend that I went to the game with thought I was crazy.

As for the Mets wearing blue hats on the road in 1998....good call, Petrok224. A search on Getty Images shows they wore blue hats/socks/helmets at LA in August of 1998:

NYM @ LA- 8/29/98

A Stephen Colbert tip of the (blue) hat to you--I know I forgot they sometimes wore blue in 1998.

This is a picture of Dave Mlicki finising a CG SHO in the first ever Mets-Yankees regular season game back in June of 1997:

1396700.jpg

For the record, the Mets are in blue hats and the snow-white (not pinstriped) home uniforms at Shea for the nightcap...

Let's Go Mets!

I was sitting on the 3rd base side for the "Mlicki game". Man it was great to be in Yankee Stadium watching the Mets win.

If the Mets ever decide to ditch the black, I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to their road uniforms from the year they got no-hit by Darry Kile in 1993.

Perhaps I've got bad taste, but I think they look pretty decent (for being the Mets) and not outdated at all.

nym1993.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

If the Mets ever decide to ditch the black, I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to their road uniforms from the year they got no-hit by Darry Kile in 1993.

Perhaps I've got bad taste, but I think they look pretty decent (for being the Mets) and not outdated at all.

nym1993.jpg

Ugh those were awful

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

nym1993.jpg

I don't mind these. If it were a choice between the current roads the the Mauro Gozzo style, I'd take the Gozzo's since they don't have any black. But my favorites would be the ones that Dave Mlicki wore for the Yankee Stadium shutout--throwbacks to the original Mets jerseys sans black.

Archived