Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis?

See Red

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not true. In Denver, Running Backs are as renewable of a resource as water. They pull 1,500 yard RB's out of their ass. Their problem, since the Super Bowl years has been the defensive secondary. If the Broncos get Champ Bailey... they have the one man who can shut down the top reciever on ANY team they play. He's regarded as the best CB in the game by WR's.

IUe6Hvh.png

Bad trade for the Broncos if it goes down. While Champ May be a good player, he does not have the impact on every play that a guy like Portis has. As a Pats fan, Portis was the most impressive back I've seen playing the World Champs all year. He has a unique blend of speed, footwork, power, and vision. He has all the tools to be the next great back. While I think the Broncos can find another back, there is only one Clinton Portis in the league. It would be foolish to make this trade.

I agree with STL sooner or later their luck with good running backs will run out and they will really7 regret this trade.

Maybe I dont appricaite Bailey, but I dont see him as being all taht great.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Maybe I dont appricaite Bailey, but I dont see him as being all taht great.

You're right, he doesn't. He seems to be hyped by the fact that he wants to play 2 ways. What he needs to do is concentrate on playing DB. He gets manhandled by more physical guys and gives a big plays going for a pick rather than just playing it smart and knocking the ball down.

One more thing, Bailey just seems like a cancer to a locker room. One of those "It's all about me" guys. The one thing that I really loved about Clinton Portis that I got from his interviews were that he seemed like a real humble guy. Those are the guys that are always looking to improve and aren't satisfied unless they help the team. You want guys like this on your team. At least I would.

a few things --

"I agree with STL sooner or later their luck with good running backs will run out and they will really7 regret this trade."

- The Broncos RB success has not been about being lucky. It;s about an offensive system with a quick offensive line, and one of the best O-Line's in football, and finding a guy with two legs that can run behind it. That combined with the fact that Shanahan has an eye for RB's is the reason they have been so successful in that.

"One more thing, Bailey just seems like a cancer to a locker room. One of those "It's all about me" guys. The one thing that I really loved about Clinton Portis that I got from his interviews were that he seemed like a real humble guy. Those are the guys that are always looking to improve and aren't satisfied unless they help the team. You want guys like this on your team. At least I would."

- I've never heard of Champ Bailey is any sort of cancer. I'll give slack on this one because you don't live in this area, but Portis is about as far from humble as a man can get. Every week it's about "who disrespected him" and all that crap. Not to mention, after one game, maybe against the Chiefs or someone -- my lasting image of Portis until the day I die is him wearing a heavy weight title around his waist, flexing for the camera. That is not a humble guy. He has NEVER given credit to his offensive line. Oh, and Bailey has never hinted at a holdout (the reason is understandable, but still)

"Maybe I dont appricaite Bailey, but I dont see him as being all taht great."

- I've seen NFL WR's who would beg to differ. I'll basically leave it at that. Not to mention, about 7/10 of Pro Bowl voting is based on coaches and players, not fans. So obviously the coaches and players see something in him to make him a pro bowler.

Portis is worth FAR less to the Broncos than Champ Bailey.

Honestly, I believe that Shanahan could take any RB on that Broncos roster and turn him into a 1,000 yard back. It's the system, not the players. The only exception to that rule I'd make would be Terrell Davis.

IUe6Hvh.png

- I've never heard of Champ Bailey is any sort of cancer. I'll give slack on this one because you don't live in this area, but Portis is about as far from humble as a man can get. Every week it's about "who disrespected him" and all that crap. Not to mention, after one game, maybe against the Chiefs or someone -- my lasting image of Portis until the day I die is him wearing a heavy weight title around his waist, flexing for the camera. That is not a humble guy. He has NEVER given credit to his offensive line. Oh, and Bailey has never hinted at a holdout (the reason is understandable, but still)

I stand corrected. Go for Champ.

If either player has an attitude problem -- I don't think either of them are anything tha keep their team from success or should for any reason stop this trade from happening... but -- I find this image funny.

ap7053828.jpg

And he later 'retired' the belt, but directly afterward said he was still the best RB in the league (which I agree with, but still!)

IUe6Hvh.png

:mad: Figures... as soon as I get my Portis jersey, he'll get traded. Now all we need is a Warner trade, and all of my NFL jerseys will officially be out of date.

As much as I think Champ Bailey would help the Broncos immensely, I still don't like this trade. Partly because I have a bit of an attachment to Portis, and partly because RBs influence the game more than CBs. I'd rather have the best RB in the game than the best CB, all other things remaining equal.

However, I'll leave things up to the Broncos. They've done a decent job this far, I hope they know what they're doing. Yes, they've never had a shortage of diamonds at RB, but the last thing they need is for this deal to forever curse them at that position. Griffin looked good on turf at Indy (the regular season match-up), and he might develop into a capable replacement, but there's so many variables (as there are with any trade).

Then there's the possibility that Bailey's stock plummets a la Deltha O'Neal or even Jason Sehorn.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

"There are more RB's like Portis out there than there are CB's like Bailey"

This is my theory. While I'd agree that having the best RB is better than having the best CB, straight up comparison, I think it gets more complicated when you add in the whole team, and all the players available;

Best RB in the league lets say, is worth 100 points.

The best CB in the league may be worth 92 points.

BUT, the 'average' RB is worth about 75, while the average CB is worth 60.

All these crazy numbers to say, that it is easier to replace an RB of close to same quality than it is to replace a CB with close to same quality.

I like the trade, for both teams. Washington doesn't have anyone who has stepped up in RB, and the broncos have a couple guys with good experience.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

holy crap...an NFL trade that ron wolf has nothing to do with :blink:

spurrier left the skins with no running game, and the broncos secondary is still sore from the beatdown manning dealt em. how could this not make sense? cus you figure the broncos could take the rb from a semipro team and get 1000 out of him, ya know. gibbs gets his runner, broncos get the best corner in the game

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't see how this is a bad trade. In hindsight, it may end up that way, but for now, it looks like both teams have a need that they can fill with this transaction. It's always tough to look at an offense-for-defense trade as being balanced, but if each team has a goal and this trade gets them closer to it, then it can't be all that bad.

Remember, theres always more to a trade than just the players involved. You have to look at team chemistry, depth at each position, draft picks/future considerations, coaching style, playbook, strengths/weaknesses of divison opponents... there's always a much bigger picture to consider.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Best RB in the league lets say, is worth 100 points.

The best CB in the league may be worth 92 points.

I don't nessecarily agree with that. I think it's hard to 'rate' the importance of any position in football.

But it is tougher to find a solid CB than it is to find a solid RB.

The most important part of ANY running game is an offensive line that can create holes -- and the Broncos have done that without a problem for years. The smaller and quicker the guy, the better he gets through the whole and that's what Quentin Griffin provides them with. Also, they have the possibility of having ANOTHER former 1,500 yard back play RB for them, that's already on their roster.

If you have a CB that can shut down the NFL's best WR's, which Champ Bailey can undoubtedly do -- that can pretty much eliminate a teams ability to pass the ball.

Here's an example for the New England fans out there. If you had one of the Broncos DB's trying to cover Marvin Harrison (or any DB that wasn't allowed to hang all over him, hit him past 5 yards, etc.) in the AFC Championship -- does he get held to 3 catches for 19 yards? Hell no -- he lights you up for 133 yards or just 7 catches and 2 TD's -- and you DON'T win that game, sorry.

This trade basically is like the Broncos giving up next to nothing.

Instead of the Broncos having a 5.5 YPC player -- they have a 4.5 YPC player who has played most of his career as a FB -- and as a HB, average 5 YPC. That in addition to the best DB in the league.

IUe6Hvh.png

Joe Gibbs' offense NEEDS a good RB. His offensive system won't work without it. While Lamont Jordan is good, he's no Clinton Portis. They'd be stupid not to trade Bailey in exchange for Portis.

Then again, they were also stupid to do all this crap with mark Brunell. I don't think the Redskins will amount to anything under Joe Gibbs this time. But who am I to say? I don't think without Portis, that Brunell will be enough to match them up with the Eagles and Cowboys.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just an update on the situation. According to ESPN, the trade has been agreed to in principle, and unless Bailey is unhappy with Denver, it's very likely.

And according to the local media outlets, and video taken of Champ Bailey getting into Shanahan's car -- Champ Bailey is currently in Denver.

I can't see this trade not going down, at this point.

IUe6Hvh.png

I will, once again, repeat that RB's are NOTHING to the Broncos. They go through em' and never see any signifigant change in output. They have a first round draft pick to spend on a RB if they so choose, although it is against their trade.

Look at the Broncos last few drafts -- look at how many unsuccessful attempts they had at getting a shut down CB. Now they have one at the cost of a position in which they can easily refill.

I think it's a little premature to rule the NFC East winners as the Redskins. After all, The Cowboys and Eagles aren't pushovers. And who here has seen what Clinton Portis can do without a top O-Line? I sure as hell haven't. The Broncos is top 5 in the game and Miami U. has consistently been tops in the nation.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived