jhans203

Oklahoma City .....

Well said, Tenacious. The OKC Robber Barons sounds about right (sorry, couldn't resist, I stole that one from the Seattle Times).

Thunder's ok, I still like Oklahoma Wildcatters.

But for some reason they didn't ask me. B)

I think most average folk are gonna know OKC is the major city, and that's where the team plays.

Without polling all average folks, it's difficult to say for sure, but I'd suspect that you're wrong here. My guess is that the average folk (OK - at least the average megalopolis folk) doesn't know jack about OKC.

Yet another reasons why cities / states shouldn't have the same name. Bring back New Amsterdam, and change OKC to Thunderville, OK.

Yet another reasons why cities / states shouldn't have the same name. Bring back New Amsterdam

Nah. The state was named after the city - make the Upstaters change their name.

The nascent OKC Thunder should...nay must adopt the following colors:

Lime green jerseys,

Royal Blue numbers

Yellow and white trim.

Long live the WLAF!

The Sporting News, per KOCO in Oklahoma City, confirms the new team name is the Thunder.

Not to nitpick, but it isn't confirming a story to simply cite another source. It's just relaying another news outlet's unconfirmed report.

Sorry, I'm in the news business. It's a habit.

Back on topic, I don't know what to think of the name. When I think of that name, my brain wants to break it apart like this: Oklahoma CityThunder. I'm probably alone on that one. Still, it's too bad it can't just be Oklahoma Thunder.

Interesting. My brain doesn't separate it that way. But I can think of an instance where it works the other way around. There is a USL-2 soccer club called the Harrisburg City Islanders because they play on City Island. But to me it always sounds like they are the Islanders of Harrisburg City.

Nothing on TESS yet for Oklahoma City Thunder or anything new if you look up by owner (The Professional Basketball Club, LLC)

The Sporting News, per KOCO in Oklahoma City, confirms the new team name is the Thunder.

Not to nitpick, but it isn't confirming a story to simply cite another source. It's just relaying another news outlet's unconfirmed report.

That's my response as well.

And it's not just that I think "Thunder" is a terrible name. :P

Well, I wouldn't be surprised that they picked the dumbest name possible. These rocket scientists have made a fiasco of the whole operation from the get-go, why stop at the franchise naming?

Thunder? Bad. AFL-level bad.

At least make it plural - something like Thunderbolts, or better yet Thunderboltzz.

Back on topic, I don't know what to think of the name. When I think of that name, my brain wants to break it apart like this: Oklahoma CityThunder. I'm probably alone on that one. Still, it's too bad it can't just be Oklahoma Thunder.

Interesting. My brain doesn't separate it that way. But I can think of an instance where it works the other way around. There is a USL-2 soccer club called the Harrisburg City Islanders because they play on City Island. But to me it always sounds like they are the Islanders of Harrisburg City.

Funny, I actually have the same reaction with the Harrisburg team, as if it were a USL name mimicking Manchester City or something similar.

Again, back on topic, I'm sure there's still a chance the name could be something other than Thunder.

The NBA blog on the Daily Oklahoman Web site reminds readers that Bennett has personally stated his preference for names that end in "s". Plus, nobody other than an unidentified source for a TV station has confirmed the name "Thunder." The only evidence presented by the TV report is the fact that an NBA affiliate has registered the Thunder domain name, but it's completely logical for this to be one of several domains that the NBA had reserved.

Just trying to add a requisite dose of skepticism (and maybe some hope?).

Oklahoma City Thunder Poops

Part of NBA plan to merge New Orleans, Charlotte and Oklahoma City franchises and form "New Charleanshoma City Thunder Cats."

Here's the logo --

Thundercats_Logo.JPG

Wow a Harrisburg City Islanders reference. That was surprising.

But, I'm just hoping that this is all rumor because Thunder is not a good name for them.

Why not just call it Oklahoma City FC and get on with it?

They can't use FC since that stands for football club. Now maybe if they did Oklahoma BC or Oklahoma BBC then we can talk.

The report was incomplete. The team is actually to be named the Oklahoma City Thunder Thighs and the logo is a silhouette of Oliver Miller.

omiller2_240.jpg

Nothing on TESS yet for Oklahoma City Thunder or anything new if you look up by owner (The Professional Basketball Club, LLC)

And get this, the Oklahoma City Supersonics marks they filed for on July 8th have been abandoned as of July 15th.