Best Dividends Trade

Brass

Which do you guys think would be the best trade that turned out to great by another through dividends? I think it is the Neely-Pederson deal between the Bruins and Canucks way back when.

Boston gets: Cam Neely, 1st round pick (forgot what year)

for

Vancouver gets: Barry Pederson

Neely turned out to be a star, obviously. Welsey, after his years with Boston, was signed as an RFA from Hartford and they had to give up 3 1st rounders who ended up being: Sergei Samsonov, Jonathan Aitken, and Kyle McLaren.

Samsonov is injury-prone, but excellent when on his game. Aitken, was a flop, and McLaren was solid but traded in a 3-team deal which brough Jeff Hackett and Jeff Jillson to the B's. Hackett was let go at the end of the season, and then retired with Philly. Jillson, however, seems to be one of the best young players the Bruins have to offer.

Personnally, one of my favorite trades and possibly one of the best.

Your thoughts?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

i would say it's the braves getting john smoltz in 1987 from the tigers :evil: while he was still a minor leaguer for doyle alexander.

doyle did cement the tigers' rotation that year and helped them win their division and get them to the playoffs (much to the chagrin of blue jays' fans). but smoltz has had an amazing career for the braves.......oh, i wish that trade never happened.

Beat me too it Joel I was just about to mention that one.

Heres one for ya from the world of the NBA that shows why trading away draft picks down the line is bad.

In 1980 Cavs dealt away their 1982 first round pick to the Lakers for Don Ford, who would play just 85 career games in 2 years with Cavs. The pick ended up being the first overall pick and the Lakers selected Future Hall of Famer James Worthy.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Guest -*Sterling84*-

I'm not sure if I'm reading the question correctly, but I'll bite.

How about the Herschel Walker trade that netted Dallas the bulk of their Jimmy Johnson dynasty team?

Or lots of people would probably bring up perhaps the biggest one ever, the Lindros deal that built the Diques/Lanche.

For smaller ones, Ahman Green for Cory Harris?

Did I read it correctly or who were asking more like, what conditional draft choice turned out to be huge?

Almost like get ridding of a one-year wonder player, and getting drafts picks in exchange, which turn out to be better players than the one-year wonder.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1981. Winnipeg Jets send Scott Campbell and some hand and egger to the St. Louis Blues. In return, Winnipeg gets Paul MacLean and Ed "Saturday Night Eddie" Staniowsky.

Scott Campbell would later go onto a probably lucrative career in vacuum sales. Maclean doesn't leave the front of the oppposition net for six years, providing the perfect balance for Dale Hawerchuk. Staniowski joins with Doug Soetaert (acquired by Winnipeg from the NYRangers that same day) to become the best goalie tandem the Jets have since Joe Daley and Ernie Wakely.

Maybe it don't mean jack to you guys, but to me, it was a turning point for the team. Suck on that, Phoenix.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Heres one taht did not work out for the Yankees

Dale Murry from the Blue Jays for Dave Collins and a Minor League first baseman name Fred McGriff.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think some people are missing the point--I don't think the topic is a trade that paid off once--but a trade that paid off more than once--as given in the first example.

I've already mentioned this one-

Calgary Flames trade Kent Nilsson to Minnesota for 2 draft picks. Nilsson does very little the rest of his career, his most memorable moment after leaving the Flames (where he had his best years) was being slashed by Billy Smith in the finals in the 84 finals after he ended up on the Oilers-(well at least he got to win a Cup--although he wasn't a major contributer).

Those 2 draft picks were Joe Nieuwendyk and Stephane Matteau-Nieuwy was a key part of the Flames success in the late 80's and an important part of the '89 Cup win. Matteau was okay-nothing spectacular, but not horrible. He was traded first, ut I forget who they got for him.

Nieuwy was traded to Dallas (ironic as the Flames got the draft pick from the Stars while they were in Minnesota)--PART-not all--part of that deal was the rights to a guy named Jarome Iginla.

So trading Nilsson all those years ago brought the Flames their best player-

the team had Nilsson for his best years, Nieuwy for his, and now Iggy-with a few others thrown into the mix.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Two Blues trades that come to mind are Pavol Demitra to the Blues for some guy named Christor Olson who went to the Senators. Also, Housley for MacInnis was a pretty good one, but Housley was a good player.

Don't forget Brett Hull for Rob Ramage

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Two Blues trades that come to mind are Pavol Demitra to the Blues for some guy named Christor Olson who went to the Senators. Also, Housley for MacInnis was a pretty good one, but Housley was a good player.

Don't forget Brett Hull for Rob Ramage

Well the Flames were going to lose MacInnis anyway--so Housely was good in return.

As to Brett Hull--it wasn't straight across for Ramage.

Brett Hull and Steve Bozek were traded to the St. Louis Blues for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley.

This trade was an important part of the Flames Cup win in 89. The Flames were loaded with scoring, and Hull wouldn't have seen as much ice time as he did with the Blues--Ramage gave them depth on the blueline--which they needed with injuries in the 89 playoffs--so from a Flames point of view--this was a good trade.

And Wamsley gave them a solid back up.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived