Milwaukee Panthers: A Concept Series

illwauk

EDIT (3/26/2012): Click Here

I came up with this as a monogram for my alma mater, currently we just use the M from the academic wordmark which I think is way too generic.

scratch_m_v2.png

Y'all know what to do... biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just for shiggles... here's a version that says "UWM," even though the athletic department just wants to be known as "Milwaukee."

uwm_word.png

The Panthers do actually use grey as a secondary color (although you can't really tell from the logo in my sig). I tried doing them in yellow, but I thought that made them look more like tiger stripes than claw marks.

I was actually watching a Hawaii football game when I came up with the idea for this. I've always admired their logo and see no need for hiding the fact that it inspired mine.

• 3 years later...

I wasn't sure what to call this thread but as I've noted in the past (so often that I'm sure a few CCSLCers are sick of me talking it :P), my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is an absolute branding nightmare both academically and athletically. The silver lining is that its given me a natural niche to hone in on and develop my design skills. Therefore I've decided to re-purpose this thread as a "catch all" spot for the various concepts I come up with involving both Panther athletics and the Milwaukee institution as a whole.

That said, I've been posting some of my concepts at the Milwaukee Panthers d-board to get some non logo-philes opinions. With all the excitement about possibly resurrecting the football program, I posted this concept, and decided to cross-post it here for further C&C:

Panther Football Uniforms

I came up with this as a monogram for my alma mater, currently we just use the M from the academic wordmark which I think painfully generic.

scratch_m_v2.png

Y'all know what to do... :D

EDIT: Just for the hell of it... here's a version that says "UWM," even though the athletic department just wants to be known as "Milwaukee."

uwm_word.png

Somewhat off-topic, but I think this is what most schools that typically go by University of [state] at [City] should do. I like that Fresno State does that. It's makes the team's name sound so much better (The Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers vs. Milwaukee Panthers).

More on-topic, I like this quite a bit. I think the gray claw marks work really well. They're subtle yet noticeable. And I think that making them jagged would make it look kind of minor league-ish.

The football uniforms seem pretty good other than not being a fan of black numbers on black jerseys and the pants stripe doesn't appeal to me.

@Raysox, Raymie & North Dakota: The numbers are meant to be an iridescent material similar to what Oregon used in the Rose Bowl, only these are meant to simulate the coat of a panther rather than the down of a duck. I put gradients in the numbers to approximate this effect on my desktop at home, but its not showing up so well now that I'm logged in at school.

In other words, think a "blue-black" version of this:

Somewhat off-topic, but I think this is what most schools that typically go by University of [state] at [City] should do. I like that Fresno State does that. It's makes the team's name sound so much better (The Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers vs. Milwaukee Panthers).

More on-topic, I like this quite a bit. I think the gray claw marks work really well. They're subtle yet noticeable. And I think that making them jagged would make it look kind of minor league-ish.

The football uniforms seem pretty good other than not being a fan of black numbers on black jerseys and the pants stripe doesn't appeal to me.

We had a pretty good discussion about that here. A lot of people (myself included) want the school to either change its name to University of Milwaukee or adopt it as our "public" name similar to how Virginia Tech is still legally known as Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.

• 2 weeks later...

I tweaked this a bit to appease the folks here and at the other board who weren't feelin' the black-on-black numbers.

uwm_fb_unis1.png

Since it's hard to see at the size photobucket shrank it down to, here's the detail on the numbers.

mke_fb_jersey_back1-1.pngmke_fb_jersey_front.png

• 5 months later...

Archived