Nhl switching jerseys in 2003/04

CC97

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball is responsible for the dark road/white home phenomenon, and for a good reason: the road team couldn't always wash the unis after each game, so dirt and grass stains didn't show as easily as they would on whites.

Therefore, it's truly right and proper to have the home side in whites and the road side in their darks. Why the NFL is ass-backwards (and why the NHL wanted to copy them) is beyond me.....well, it isn't really, but I prefer my home whites and road darks, in case you couldn't tell. :P

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

It's boring to see dark (home) vs. white (away) all the time. At least with the awy team sporting the dark jerseys you get to see a variety of colors.

Home team can wear dark alternates if it doesn't conflict with the visiting team (or a special dark home/white road game for a regional rivalry or something).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's boring to see dark (home) vs. white (away) all the time. At least with the awy team sporting the dark jerseys you get to see a variety of colors.

Why would that matter when you can watch your team on TV when they play on the road wearing different uniforms?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Why would that matter when you can watch your team on TV when they play on the road wearing different uniforms?

It's nice to go to the arena and see the other teams colors in person. I love when the Redwings or Maple Leafs come in and you get to see the famous red or blue sweaters up close.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I go to AHL games, and the AHL had the same uniform scheme as the NHL. There were hardly any AHL games on TV, so for most of the season all I saw was red jerseys against white ones.

If it's NHL, then of course the games are on TV and one can see all the home teams' different jerseys. If you go to the games in person, it's the same color scheme all the time.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

nobody does, i don't know why you think of it that way.

for one thing i think of it as a tradition in hockey. secondly, i'm used to it the old way still. and third everyone is entitled to a preference so don't fault them for discussing it in a thread.

Do you really care? 

Yes I care. I watch primarily because I love the sport of hockey, but I am also a logo / uniform enthusiast so what they're wearing is of great interest to me. Don't join a sports logos / uniform forum and wonder why people care about what uniform teams are wearing.

I feel sorry for those of you that do, I don't watch a game because I get to see a red jersey or a blue jersey =/

Actually, I feel sorry for you, for having nothing better to do then post on a sports-logos forum when you obviously don't really get the point of it. <_<

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the idea of Darks at home and Whites on the road. The NHL is NOT copying the NFL. Contrary to popular belief, the home team in the NFL has the option of wearing whichever uni they want, and most teams wear dark at home. The Dallas Coyboys are the most obvious example of a team that always wears white at home. Let us also consider that most soccer/football (the most popular sport in the world) teams wear dark at home, so I really don't think the NHL is wrong in going with darks at home. Also, I went to a New England boarding school, and in all sports, except baseball, teams wore dark at home and white on the road. I'm not sure how that started, but I'd be interested to know.

It makes sense why the NHl switched. So many teams were wearing alternates for home games that the road team had to bring two sets of uniforms, which includes the jersey, socks, and helmets. Especially with airline security today.

the way you remedy that is you preschedule your alternate jersey games which I think most hockey teams do already. That way road teams don't have to guess which jersey they are wearing.

I don't really care either way, I mean not all white jerseys are the same and I think there is still enough color variety in the whites for that not to be a problem, I mean you wouldn't confuse Dallas's white jersey with Detroit's

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

i think it should be the decision of the home team in any league. Though I always found it interesting that the Lakers wear ALT whites. I mean why are they the only home team to wear yellow? Pacers, Hawks, Honets, and Sonics all have yellow alts. Why can't they wear that home?

Speaking of yellow/gold, why can't an NHL team wear that as an alt to white? Why does yellow have to be alt for an dark color?

Speaking of yellow/gold, why can't an NHL team wear that as an alt to white? Why does yellow have to be alt for an dark color?

The LA Kings and Pittsburgh Pens used to where yellow at home.

i think it should be the decision of the home team in any league. Though I always found it interesting that the Lakers wear ALT whites. I mean why are they the only home team to wear yellow? Pacers, Hawks, Honets, and Sonics all have yellow alts. Why can't they wear that home?

It depends how they coordinate the helmet to go with the yellow jersey.

If they use a yellow helmet then the jersey can be used in the same manner as a white jersey.

If they use a black or dark coloured helmet then it would be used in the same manner as a dark jersey.

It's set up that way to make life easier for the officials. If both teams have black helmets then they get confused when scrums occur.

Though I always found it interesting that the Lakers wear ALT whites. I mean why are they the only home team to wear yellow? Pacers, Hawks, Honets, and Sonics all have yellow alts. Why can't they wear that home?

The Lakers are the only team allowed to wear a non-white jersey as the main home threads because of the Grandfather Clause of the NBA. They were wearing yellow before it became mandatory for all NBA teams to wear white at home.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Baseball is responsible for the dark road/white home phenomenon, and for a good reason: the road team couldn't always wash the unis after each game, so dirt and grass stains didn't show as easily as they would on whites.

Therefore, it's truly right and proper to have the home side in whites and the road side in their darks. Why the NFL is ass-backwards (and why the NHL wanted to copy them) is beyond me.....well, it isn't really, but I prefer my home whites and road darks, in case you couldn't tell. :P

I believe the NFL wears darks at home to make it easier to hide the football when they're carrying it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived