Nfl 2005 Expansion?

MrTitan

I'm not too positive but I think I remember reading about 2 or 3 years ago that the NFL was giving a team to NY in 2005. :therock: and if I'm making stuff up do tell.

Thanx for the info in advance.

Also do you all think they should grant some more expansion teams?, If so who would get one?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubnt the NFL will expand anytime soon they have just relaigned the divisions into a nifty 8 Division with 4 teams each league to add more teams will create confusion out of this perfect order.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

NY is the last place you'll see a new team, LA is probably the first.

BUT...Aside from relocating an existing team to LA, I can't see the league playing around with the current format. After 10 years of expansion, relocation and shuffling of divisions, they're just now getting into a much needed period of franchise stability.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Flip, even the mention of an NFL organization being located in Canada makes me laugh. I'm sure they would have success but I think the NFL will always stay within the U.S.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I think when its all said and done it willbe teh Chargers who are the only team to play in LA. LA had trouble with 2 teams before so to insure success they will ahve just 1 team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I also heard a few rumors that if Minnesota couldnt get a new stadium, the Vikings could move to San Antonio, where McCombs is from, or, yes, LA. There is a history of teams moving from minnesota to both Cali(Lakers), and Texas(Stars).

And if they did, its a matter of the LA vikings playing in the west, and moving the St. Louis rams into the NFC North.

Everyone is happy :D

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Here you go Chargers to LA and the Colts to Birmingham Al. Please LOL we are building a new domed Stadium LOL just a thought.

During the last time the Vikings were for sale a person from Birmingham came in second for buying the team he wanted to move them to Birmingham.

By the way the is Curtthflirt when you changed the board I couldn't get back in so I created my Alabama Slammers name

Toronto has LITERALLY the oldest professional football club in North America, and doesn't support them.....good luck with the NFL....

I know, I know, they want to be major league, blah blah blah.  They should appreciate what they have.

The Argos are a terribly run franchise, they totally alienate their fan base and treat their most loyal of fans like garbage.

I worked for the Argonauts, I lasted 3 quarters of the only pre-season game before I walked out on them, they were incredibly unorganised, and immature. I didn't want to associate myself with that franchise.

I haven't been to a game since.

There are more NFL fans in Toronto than Argos fans, and it's not even close.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I don't think LA particularly wants a team.

Not having a team exempts them from blackout rules, meaning LA-area fans get more games on TV.

Also, the owners would probably like keeping LA without a team so they can always threaten to move there to extort more money from their localities for new stadiums and such.

While the relocation of the Chargers seems to be the current most likely scenario under which the NFL will return to Los Angeles, keep in mind that Tagliabue has gone on record as stating that he would not rule out expansion to Los Angeles if he felt it was the right move for the league. He even went so far as to say that expansion to Los Angeles wouldn't have to be accompanied by expansion to another city at the same time... meaning that we'd be looking at a 33-team NFL.

Still, here are what I believe to be the most likely circumstances surrounding a return of the NFL to Los Angeles:

1) The Chargers relocate from San Diego, or...

2) The Colts relocate from Indianapolis, or...

3) The NFL expands to 33 teams, placing the new franchise in Los Angeles, or...

4) The NFL expands to 34 teams, placing new franchises in Los Angeles and Toronto.

Scoff at the notion of the NFL expanding to Canada if you like, but the fact is that Toronto is THE most likely candidate for NFL expansion outside of the United States.

Brian in Boston

I don't think LA particularly wants a team.

Not having a team exempts them from blackout rules, meaning LA-area fans get more games on TV.

Also, the owners would probably like keeping LA without a team so they can always threaten to move there to extort more money from their localities for new stadiums and such.

Having a team makes no impact on the number of games shown in the market. Blackout rules only apply to the home team's game, not all games. Even if the local game is a blackout, you still get to show the same number games, just featuring other teams.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived