Apprentice Challenge 3 - OPTIMUS

mania

I am very sorry about this, because I am not part of this contest. I just have to post something. Take it for what it's worth, but it seems like you guys are going away from this idea, so maybe it won't be worth much. williamrhys' Hogan post made me think about an up and coming athlete that is very popular here in the states and is very very very marketable IMO. I think he fits in perfect with this project, since he is also from a sport that most people wouldn't think of right off. He also has very distinguishable characteristics.

KIMBO SLICE

No matter how perfect I think he is, you guys are the ones making this project work. I posted this in here only because I think you guys were poking around in this direction anyway, I didn't pick your team over the other for this post because I dislike some of them or anything, I just thought you guys were headed in this direction on your own. I'm just giving you a nudge. Sorry again for posting, but I needed to let this out. Good luck.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright guys I'm back...

When I read the new challenge...one person immediately popped into my head- Sidney Crosby "Sid the Kid" #87 and would be an Rbk brand. Not only can you can consider him up and coming...but he and Ovechkin are the new faces of the NHL.

A few other guys I had in mind...

- Prince Fielder #28 "the Prince"

- Josh Hamilton #32

- Cristiano Ronaldo #7 / #17

- Tom Brady #12

brewerssig.jpg

Alright guys I'm back...

When I read the new challenge...one person immediately popped into my head- Sidney Crosby "Sid the Kid" #87 and would be an Rbk brand. Not only can you can consider him up and coming...

Sidney Crosby already has a personal logo...

Alright guys I'm back...

When I read the new challenge...one person immediately popped into my head- Sidney Crosby "Sid the Kid" #87 and would be an Rbk brand. Not only can you can consider him up and coming...

Never seen it....mind posting it? I did a quick google image search and didnt find anything.

brewerssig.jpg

Alright guys I'm back...

Never seen it....mind posting it? I did a quick google image search and didnt find anything.

sc87.jpg

Update with different crown...thoughts?

AP5a.jpg

I do like the idea of this Prince Albert thing, but the one thing that to me takes this down singlehandedly is that the "AP" looks like a complete afterthought. One of the things the judges said last round is that the "North State" looked like it was just thrown in there after-the-fact, and I think for this we have to build around all the aspects of our player (initials/name, number, etc.) while we're making the logo.

Though I'm not sure what the significance of the manufacturer is so I guess we can decide that later... it's not like the manufacturer's logo will be in the player's logo.

And I apologize Shiny, I didn't see that you had thought of AK47 before me, but now I see what you mean ColaCock cause the gun may be a bad PR move indeed... but if AK were more high-profile it may have been worth pursuing.

Hey Cola, as I mentioned last page, try putting a F under the crown, because I think it would really look great, maybe in navy blue and silver.

what would the F be for? and it seems like that would be too simple of a design, but maybe not...since these are often small printed logos and should be rather simple.

I saw what you were talking about...Felix Hernandez. I did a few variations, the 8 stars are for Venezuela (8 stars, 8 provinces) and shown on the flag as well. For some reason, I'm not hitting the mark on any of these designs lately I feel...something is lacking. I'm sketching like hell over here but nothing comes to me...

Fcrown.jpg

Are we set on using a baseball player? As many up-and-comers as the sport has, very few (none that I can think of) have individual logos. While that seems good because you have the pick of the litter, it almost seems as if there's no market for it. Granted, Federer is probably one of the first in tennis, but baseball has too many notable players to capitalize on the accomplishments and notoriety of one or two. I think Cristiano Ronaldo, soccer star, would be the best bet with regards to a marketing ploy.

Also, almost everything we've seen has featured numbers, but some of the most iconic logos don't have numbers. I think especially the Michael Jordan jumpman logo, maybe less is more? Kobe Bryant has a logo that looks like the letter "Y," and Federer and Woods have interlocking initials. Still, I believe that a number may detract from the design. I'll try to draw something up when I'm able, but in the meantime, we should focus more on where one of these logos would work and not look out of place.

Alright, here is another one I did this morning...I was looking at predicted MLB stars and saw David Price's name and I saw him play a few times against Carolina when he was at Vandy pitching. Anyhow, I think he will make a big impact in the MLB and he was a first pick in the MLB draft- major marketability.

As far as the logo, I realized that a logo for an athlete doesn't HAVE to be so complex (Shiny kind of got into that above) and as long as it was clean and sharp, it could work. What do you all think?

DavidPrice.jpg

I think it's too bland and far too ununique for my taste, frankly. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it, and also David Price since he hasn't even pitched in the majors yet. If we're doing a baseball player, I think it should be someone who has at least established himself.

I think it's too bland and far too ununique for my taste, frankly. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it, and also David Price since he hasn't even pitched in the majors yet. If we're doing a baseball player, I think it should be someone who has at least established himself.

I see your point and I certainly am not the guy to predict who will be a great major league player and who won't, but the Devil Ray's organization surely thinks he will be...he received the 2nd highest signing bonus of any MLB player ever and went 4-0 with a sub 2.00 ERA in his minor league debuts. Also, Lebron James signed a $90 million dollar contract with Nike WHEN he was draft...never had played a minute of NBA basketball.

With that said, I believe David Price is good enough material to use for this challenge BUT the design could surely use some additions and touch ups. I realized it was kind of bland, which I kind of stated was the direction I wanted to go, and it does need one more strong element to identify the initials with a sport, nickname, or number.

I'm going to play around with it some more but if most of the team is in agreement that it isn't a valuable road to take, I will use focus my efforts somewhere else.

I see it from both sides.

On one hand, where as last round we were accused too much of playing it safe, this would be a great "against the grain" pick.

On the other hand, at his age and development, he will almost definitely be great, but right now, the marketing value is nil.

I don't know which way the board would decide, so that's why I'm unsure.

Oh, he will be good. But now? No one's heard of him outside obsessives like me, insiders, and people in Tampa (not necessarily true but I bet less than 10% of all baseball fans have heard of him). That's why I think we should do someone like Felix Hernandez, cause, what is he, 22? And he has already proven he is a top-class pitcher in the entire league. People know who he is and as he grows a few more years older his marketability will only grow even bigger than what it is now. But with Price, I definitely don't think doing this with a minor league player is a smart idea, and would basically be too risky and too unsafe so that it just becomes kind of dumb since he has absolutely zero marketing value right now.

Archived