NHL Expansion in 2010?

Ez Street

Info from http://forechecker.blogspot.com/2008/07/fo...ama-is-nhl.html

The Tennessean has come up with a "Discussion" document that "Boots" DelBiaggio used to attract potential investors to the Nashville Predators.

Page 10 of the "Discussion" document, which outlines Del Biaggio's description of the "Portability Value" of the franchise as he sold the idea to potential investors. In the event that the team, after the 2009-10 NHL season, had lost at least $20 million and didn't average 14,000 per game in attendance, the amended Sommet Center lease could be broken (for a fee), and the team moved. Several cities (Hamilton, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Seattle, Winnipeg, etc.) are mentioned as relocation possibilities, and that "these cities will offer exceptional arena deals for an NHL team and potentially superior corporate support and fan base than Nashville."

On the next page, there's a REALLY fascinating. Included in the Nashville Group's projection of the team financials going out to 2011-2012 is a footnote alongside the team revenue estimate for the 2010-2011 season which says, "Assumes a $15.0 million expansion fee received." Gentlemen, start your speculation! If 30 teams each received $15 million in expansion money, that represents $450 million paid to the league in full. That would seem to indicate that multiple teams are potentially coming over the NHL horizon, given the figures involved. Larry Brooks of the NY Post had a column last summer that estimated $450-500 million in expansion money if Kansas City and Las Vegas were to join the NHL club, so indeed, might we be looking at a 32-team NHL in 2011?

The "Discussion" document.

http://tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN112667711.PDF

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, NO, NO!

That's the last thing the NHL needs (obviously). I am sure that is all speculation on their (Predators) part. One would assume that the league would want to straighten out it's current owner issues (Predators, Ducks, Rangers?) and stabilize the already too many 30 teams they have, or move them to more viable cities before putting expansion teams there instead. Of course, with Bettman in charge, any "smart" assumptions go right out the window.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

There isn't enough talent in the hockey world to suppourt a 32-Team NHL.

I would rather have a strong 26 team league that if fun to watch, full of talent and has good stability anyday. The question then which four teams get the boot ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I would rather have a strong 26 team league that if fun to watch, full of talent and has good stability anyday. The question then which four teams get the boot ...

This is totally just all me, not based on numbers, or financial statements, or attendance, or history, or arena deals, or anything like that.

This is just who I'd contract if there were no legalities, gun to my head, just get rid of 4:

- Nashville

- Phoenix

- Florida

- Atlanta

Sorry to those cities and fans...but that's what I would do with a magic wand needing to get rid of 4.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

If the NHL does expand, the next (and last) two cities should obviously be Winnipeg and Quebec City.

A nice, round, 32-team, 8-division NHL would do wonders for schedule formatting and travel time, plus get Winnipeg and Quebec their hockey back.

3 divisional foes x 6 = 18 games

12 conference foes x 4 = 48 (66 games)

16 other conference opponents x 1 = 16 (82 games)

As well, the playoffs could be simplified to the top 2 teams in each division, making divisional games that much more important. I like it.

If they decided to take away 2 teams, to make it 28, I'd go for Nashville and Florida, then make 4 divisions of 7 again.

This is totally just all me, not based on numbers, or financial statements, or attendance, or history, or arena deals, or anything like that.

This is just who I'd contract if there were no legalities, gun to my head, just get rid of 4:

- Nashville

- Phoenix

- Florida

- Atlanta

Sorry to those cities and fans...but that's what I would do with a magic wand needing to get rid of 4.

Frankly, i'm all for gutting 4 teams, right off the top. Doesn't really matter who.

If the NHL does expand, the next (and last) two cities should obviously be Winnipeg and Quebec City.

A nice, round, 32-team, 8-division NHL would do wonders for schedule formatting and travel time, plus get Winnipeg and Quebec their hockey back.

3 divisional foes x 6 = 18 games

12 conference foes x 4 = 48 (66 games)

16 other conference opponents x 1 = 16 (82 games)

As well, the playoffs could be simplified to the top 2 teams in each division, making divisional games that much more important. I like it.

If they decided to take away 2 teams, to make it 28, I'd go for Nashville and Florida, then make 4 divisions of 7 again.

Your thinking logically there! I like either senario.......which obviously means it won't happen.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Personally I'd get rid of

Florida and Atlanta

Nashville needs more fan support because they have been competitive for the last few seasons but there most likely going to move hopefully to Winnipeg

we just need to expand the MTS Centre.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Too much money to be made by the teams. You see the $15 Million the Preds plan on getting, that mean all 30 get $15 Million.

You think they are goning to pass up $15 Million just because we say it's too diluted?

Besides, we all know 32 is the supposed "perfect" number for a league of that size. Whether it truly is or not is up to further debate.

Kansas City is likely high on the list for a team, but who the hell would own them? "Boots" is not the "savoir" so will Garth Brooks pony up the money. LOL

Too much money to be made by the teams. You see the $15 Million the Preds plan on getting, that mean all 30 get $15 Million.

You think they are goning to pass up $15 Million just because we say it's too diluted?

Besides, we all know 32 is the supposed "perfect" number for a league of that size. Whether it truly is or not is up to further debate.

Kansas City is likely high on the list for a team, but who the hell would own them? "Boots" is not the "savoir" so will Garth Brooks pony up the money. LOL

At least Garth actually has the money and doesn't need to borrow it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

- Nashville

- Phoenix

- Florida

- Atlanta

Frankly, i'm all for gutting 4 teams, right off the top. Doesn't really matter who.

So let's get rid of my least favorite teams: Toronto, Philadelphia, Vancouver and San Jose because it doesn't really matter who we get rid of ....

:blink:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

At least Garth actually has the money and doesn't need to borrow it.

Zing! Good point.

Undersized new arena with not enough skybox revenue in a too-small market, and old, old, old arena with revenues bad enough to make a championship-caliber team move in a too-small market.

Obviously.

Honestly, Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, and (this one hurts) Atlanta should all vastly improve, move, or get dropped before anyone can talk new franchises.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

- Nashville

- Phoenix

- Florida

- Atlanta

So let's get rid of my least favorite teams: Toronto, Philadelphia, Vancouver and San Jose because it doesn't really matter who we get rid of ....

Hey, im all for it. Smaller league = stronger league.

- Nashville

- Phoenix

- Florida

- Atlanta

Hey, im all for it. Smaller league = stronger league.

But come on, don't be stupid. Obviously the weaker franchises. Did you really need that spelled out for you?

Rather than reduce the size of the NHL, go ahead and blimp it up to 32 teams with a caveat - effective whenever they go to 32, the bottom two teams (in terms of points) each season get relegated to the AHL.

It'd never happen of course, but it would be a good solution that would address "competitive deficits."

nav-logo.png

Archived