NHL Expansion in 2010?

Ez Street

I'd expect Houston to get consideration based on the city's size and its success with the Aeros organization.

Thinking outside the box here, but in theory couldn't a team split its 41 home games in 2 or 3 cities in a region? Winnipeg, Fargo, and Grand Forks could never support a team on their own in today's NHL, but I think if you spread the costs out across that 4-hour distance and those three markets you could do very good ticket sales. Each city would only get 13 or 14 regular season games a year, making each a special event - and also increasing the numbers of "season" ticket buyers and presumably the number of sellouts (since walk-up sales would get the remaining seats).

Ask the Expos and Saints about the toll it takes to play home games in two different cities. The travel will absolutely kill the team.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure they'll come over just as soon as the oligarchs dissuade the players of the notion that the oligarchs are gangsters. Which will most likely be never. As long as the standard of living (and likely personal safety) is higher in the United States, it will be quite difficult for the KHL to convince anyone better than third line to come over.

But...wouldn't standard of living be decent for millionaires anyway? I know it's Russia/Siberia, but that's no worse than Winnipeg, really. Okay, plus more crime and corruption.

Same point on the safety issue. Money, to me, makes me think more security is available. It could work.

Well, if your boss is a gangster, your personal security is somewhat diminished, is it not? Oh yeah, and what's the point of having the money if you can't spend it/buy things to show off to people. Can't buy clean water and a rad-free atmosphere either. Also better hope someone from the Caucausus doesn't choose to off you as an example of their determination to leave Russia.

Does the KHL have a player's union? If they don't, I see another reason not to join.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 3 months later...

Bumping this in light of today's news.

I guess the Preds may have been on to something...

It appears some National Hockey League officials think the Toronto market is big enough to have two teams.

According to The Globe and Mail, a few NHL governors are keen on the idea of putting a second team in Toronto.

''Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?'' one governor told the newspaper anonymously, adding one scenario involves Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie being awarded an expansion franchise after coming to the aid of the financially-strapped Nashville Predators.

Any suggestion of relocation or expansion into Canada's largest city is news to other league executives. "This has never been discussed in the governors meetings I've been involved in," Caroliona Hurricanes governor and general manager Jim Rutherford told TSN on Tuesday.

''I've heard bits and pieces of this scenario, although not in that kind of detail,'' Calgary Flames co-owner Harley Hotchkiss told The Globe and Mail. ''Our priority is to have the existing franchises solid.''

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment President Richard Peddie said his organization would listen to any expansion suggestions and downplayed any negative effect it could have on the Maple Leafs. "Any talk about expansion or relocation of another NHL team to southern Ontario is purely speculative," he told TSN. "If or when the National Hockey League comes to the Board of Governors with a recommendation on relocation or expansion of an NHL franchise, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will analyze the recommendation and provide its input at that time."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253294

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

I'm sure they'll come over just as soon as the oligarchs dissuade the players of the notion that the oligarchs are gangsters. Which will most likely be never. As long as the standard of living (and likely personal safety) is higher in the United States, it will be quite difficult for the KHL to convince anyone better than third line to come over.

But...wouldn't standard of living be decent for millionaires anyway? I know it's Russia/Siberia, but that's no worse than Winnipeg, really. Okay, plus more crime and corruption.

Same point on the safety issue. Money, to me, makes me think more security is available. It could work.

Well, if your boss is a gangster, your personal security is somewhat diminished, is it not? Oh yeah, and what's the point of having the money if you can't spend it/buy things to show off to people. Can't buy clean water and a rad-free atmosphere either. Also better hope someone from the Caucausus doesn't choose to off you as an example of their determination to leave Russia.

Does the KHL have a player's union? If they don't, I see another reason not to join.

I apparently forgot to mention that in North America, all arenas have the ambulances stay until the end of the game, and there are defibrilators as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with putting a second team in Toronto is that the second team isn't the Leafs, and therefore DOA.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It appears some National Hockey League officials think the Toronto market is big enough to have two teams.

According to The Globe and Mail, a few NHL governors are keen on the idea of putting a second team in Toronto.

''Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?'' one governor told the newspaper anonymously, adding one scenario involves Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie being awarded an expansion franchise after coming to the aid of the financially-strapped Nashville Predators.

Any suggestion of relocation or expansion into Canada's largest city is news to other league executives. "This has never been discussed in the governors meetings I've been involved in," Caroliona Hurricanes governor and general manager Jim Rutherford told TSN on Tuesday.

''I've heard bits and pieces of this scenario, although not in that kind of detail,'' Calgary Flames co-owner Harley Hotchkiss told The Globe and Mail. ''Our priority is to have the existing franchises solid.''

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment President Richard Peddie said his organization would listen to any expansion suggestions and downplayed any negative effect it could have on the Maple Leafs. "Any talk about expansion or relocation of another NHL team to southern Ontario is purely speculative," he told TSN. "If or when the National Hockey League comes to the Board of Governors with a recommendation on relocation or expansion of an NHL franchise, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will analyze the recommendation and provide its input at that time."

Planning to move the team is coming to the aid?

Oh, it's a TSN story... gotcha.

Where does it say that the plan is to move the Predators? The plan would be Balsillie throws cash at the Predators to help them stay afloat, and in return is given an expansion team in Toronto to thank him for his efforts (plus a $700 mil expansion fee)

Lots of words in there, I know.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Where does it say that the plan is to move the Predators? The plan would be Balsillie throws cash at the Predators to help them stay afloat, and in return is given an expansion team in Toronto to thank him for his efforts (plus a $700 mil expansion fee)

Lots of words in there, I know.

Yeah but it also reads as if Balsillie is being awarded a franchise based on the "work" he's already done in Nashville (and Pittsburgh)!

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'm sorry but a second team in Toronto would not make sense. First off the fact that Balsillie would get the team is laughable because he has already shown that he does not respect the league rules and would try to challenge them if they do work in his favor. That is not the type of owner you want in your league. Secondly, the amount of of money that would have to paid to the Leafs in territorial fees would probably be astronomical and would have to include giving the Leafs the tv rights to the point where that second team wouldn't be financially viable (even in Toronto). The Leafs have already said in the past that they are against a team in Hamilton because it would infringe on their territory and thus hurt the franchise value. If they feel that way about a Hamilton team one can only guess about another Toronto team. Which means that price goes up. And if this new team has to share the ACC with a new team the price goes higher because the Leafs will charge a larger amount for rent.

I hate to agree with Damion Cox but his blog does bring up some good points about this article.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2008/10/what-to-do.html

Also the Star is going the reports about a second team "nonsense"

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/521152

Also, who in Toronto would jump ship to this other team? I've spent all of about 6-7 hours of my life there, but I would imagine that you're either a Leafs fan or you're not a hockey fan if you're not a transplant. If that's the case, with the stronghold that they have on the fans there, how can a second team possibly be viable. It's like a few years ago when people suggested the Expos/Marlins be moved to the Meadowlands with a new stadium as part of the Xanadu project. Who lives here that isn't a Yankee/Met fan already that would become a fan of this team or jump ship from the 2 established ones. This is a LOT harder to pull off in 2010 than it would've been in the 60's or the 30's or even earlier--which is when a lot of these 2 team cities got their teams.

And, it's not like it's the NBA where you'd have a Clippers and Lakers court interchange. You can't melt the ice and re-logo everything each night. How embarrassing would it be for the Toronto Whatchamacallems play their home games on Leafs ice?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I don't think a second Toronto team would make any sense, but I can support some city in Canada getting the country's 7th NHL franchise. Though, let's make sure the existing 30 teams are all financially stable before the league starts adding more teams....otherwise they're right back to where they were pre-lockout.

I'm glad this story has been debunked as utter crap. The only way a second NHL team plays in Toronto is if MLSE owns them, too. If they were so spooked by an AHL team (Roadrunners) coming to town that they did some shady, underhanded dealings with the folks at Ricoh to chase the team off, how on earth would they ever allow another NHL franchise on their turf?

And has been said by others many times before, the NHL has no business whatsoever thinking about any form of expansion in its current state. This league would be better served by losing 6 teams.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i'd give up my team for canada to have another team,don't get me wrong i love my canes......but in the long run atleast i know even with 0 wins they'ed be supported and loved in a place like Winnipeg or Hamilton....or even in SSK

as long as the Canadian city wasn't QC or T.O.,screw those places

yoo3.png

i'd give up my team for canada to have another team,don't get me wrong i love my canes......but in the long run atleast i know even with 0 wins they'ed be supported and loved in a place like Winnipeg or Hamilton....or even in SSK

Quite the intellectual, you are. And quite the Canes fan, apparently.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i'm smart enough to know that hockey dose not belong in Raleigh,Nashville,Miami(sunrise),Tampa,Dallas,Phoenix,Anaheim,and Atlanta............all though i give a pass to LA and SJ,than cities likeMil.,Sea.,Ham.,Ssk.,QC.,Winn.,and Cle

not that those teams don't have fans,passionate ones at that,but hockey is life to most canadians,and Gary bettman,has screwed them over WAY to many times

move Nash to Ham

move Phx to Winn

then let everything else fail/Succeed as is

although the NBA is worse,how can OKC and others deserve a team more than KC,St.L,SD,Bal,SF,TB,Cin.,Sea.

yoo3.png

i'm smart enough to know that hockey dose not belong in Raleigh,Nashville,Miami(sunrise),Tampa,Dallas,Phoenix,Anaheim,and Atlanta............all though i give a pass to LA and SJ,than cities likeMil.,Sea.,Ham.,Ssk.,QC.,Winn.,and Cle

not that those teams don't have fans,passionate ones at that,but hockey is life to most canadians,and Gary bettman,has screwed them over WAY to many times

move Nash to Ham

move Phx to Winn

then let everything else fail/Succeed as is

although the NBA is worse,how can OKC and others deserve a team more than KC,St.L,SD,Bal,SF,TB,Cin.,Sea.

Not happening, they have a sealed tight 30 year lease with the City of Glendale. To break the lease they would have to pay a fee of 750 million dollars plus interest that could bring it to you at least a billion and a half. Plus why I believe the cities that all teams are in are fine as is. Nashville may not be working out, but other teams will succeed in the end. I understand that Hockey is Canada as NFL is to the States, but the Sun Belt teams are going to stay. Every 6 months we need to hear this that hockey should not be in so and so states or south of Chicago. But you know what they're fine.

Archived